***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
My parents are from the Greenfield area and we have tons of extended family still there. All are ok but a few homes are completely gone of family members. As if that's not bad enough, many are missing their pets still which just breaks my heart. Some pics of my Great Aunt's home which is obviously no more.

View attachment 129326
View attachment 129327
View attachment 129328
View attachment 129329
Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for your family but glad to hear everyone is physically okay.

Question for others, when I see pictures like this... How are these monster tornados even survivable in the basement when it literally rips the entire house off the foundation? These are my worst nightmare.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
On Ryan Hall's live at the end of last night, someone had a report of 118 mph straight line winds from Monday night, in Nebraska.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
What weather app is this?
Iowa Storm Chasing Network

Reactions: JM4CY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Some of the livestream/videos this afternoon showed the blades being carried up and around as the tornado passed over them. Truly awesome in a unique way. Trying to imagine the force necessary is impossible for me.
EDIT: yes, the above is one of those videos.
Those blades being aerodynamic, they get up in the air they could gona long ways if not broken up.
Would hate to be anywhere near they land.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Buildings that are not complete are very susceptible to storm damage
No sheathing. If they're not going to sheath the walls as they build up, the need to have it braced to hell. Looks like the had a few braces but obviously not nearly enough. It wouldn't take much wind to knock that thing over.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No sheathing. If they're not going to sheath the walls as they build up, the need to have it braced to hell. Looks like the had a few braces but obviously not nearly enough. It wouldn't take much wind to knock that thing over.
When my company built their previous location, it blew down twice in the course of construction. Mostly bad timing and pretty severe wind, but I can tell you all of us got nervous anytime a big storm was coming through lol. Our owner had them put hurricane straps on the last time though, so probably not as much to worry about from an ordinary storm.

Reactions: Letterkenny

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Man my side got lucky. Neighbor lost a tree but Madison schools closed today because so many trees down and blocking roads.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for your family but glad to hear everyone is physically okay.

Question for others, when I see pictures like this... How are these monster tornados even survivable in the basement when it literally rips the entire house off the foundation? These are my worst nightmare.

A friend of my brother lived through the Parkersburg tornado in their basement. His wife, his daughter and he were in the back corner of their walk-out against the slab wall. They were wrapped in debris and he said a few times the winds were pulling his eyelids open. When it was over he looked up and both their vehicles were partially hanging over the wall above them.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
waking up this AM all I can ask is why didn't NWS tor-e that one? Not like it was a hindsight thing. We were thinking that in real time.
I think the answer might be a little different. Today with all the technology and live streams/radar feeds, individuals need to be proactive. It’s probably better to shelter unnecessarily a couple times a year if you are uncertain how bad something could be.

Reactions: salennon07