"Super League" of College Football

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The only positive to either Super League happening is it would free up a ton of my week with all of the sports I would no longer care to watch.

I’d rather watch a random Big 12 game than a playoff game between Clemson and Bama, and as a soccer follower I’ve always preferred the Premier League or Bundesliga to the Champions League anyway. Neither the Champions League nor the Playoff have any soul. Super Leagues wouldn’t fix that.

I'm a casual european soccer fan but I would continue to follow my non-super league team.

Right now I follow my non-super league team and the Champions league the 1/3 or 1/4 of the time they are involved.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nebraska is more geographically remote? Omaha Lincoln area is way more populated that anything around Iowa or Iowa State.

Yeah, Nebraska is the boonies.

Smallest population state in Big Ten by far.

Furthest away from a major metro.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Super leagues is what we have already. What we need is to go to the European model with relegation. Blow up the conferences and have regional conferences with 2 or 3 levels each. Include all FBS and FCS teams in those and have 2 year rolling relegation and promotion. Teams play other similar level teams in their region. Playoffs in each level with regional winners.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Super leagues is what we have already. What we need is to go to the European model with relegation. Blow up the conferences and have regional conferences with 2 or 3 levels each. Include all FBS and FCS teams in those and have 2 year rolling relegation and promotion. Teams play other similar level teams in their region. Playoffs in each level with regional winners.

ISU would have had a good 70 years of MVC/MAC football.

We've probably benefitted from it as much as anybody. Just right now we are in the "one shining moment" of earning a place at the table on merit.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
ISU would have had a good 70 years of MVC/MAC football.

We've probably benefitted from it as much as anybody. Just right now we are in the "one shining moment" of earning a place at the table on merit.

I guess would you prefer to be competitive in your games every year or to have 0-3 wins in the power conferences? I can see an argument either way.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I guess would you prefer to be competitive in your games every year or to have 0-3 wins in the power conferences? I can see an argument either way.

Yeah it is an interesting thing to think about.

There are definitely years where ISU may have been better off in MAC/MVC/CUSA or whatever through those really bad years.

I'd argue since McCarney we're better off having the automatic Premiership/SerieA membership but prior to that a little relegation would have possibly been better for fans, students and players alike.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'll take Big Pond/Small(ish) Fish every time.

On occasions when we get to swim with (or at least in vicinity of) the large ones, it means much more.

I have a friend from Cagliari (Sardegna island) in Italy and his team is the classic where 75% of the time they are down but 25% of the time they are up in the top flight Serie A. Just the chase to get into the top flight and stay there becomes a thing in itself.

I think without Big 8/12 automatic membership this probably would have been ISU football for the 80s/90s, not quite as often in 00s/10s but still sometimes.

Reactions: cyclones500

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron