"Super League" of College Football

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
With all the talk about the Super League in European soccer, I thought I'd come up with what that would look like in CFB. I capped it at 20 teams (roughly 30% of the Power 5). I thought it would be hard to do but actually think this is how it would turn out (not considering state politics). Maybe this is a fun debate, maybe not but not surprisingly despite recent success, I don't think ISU would make the cut. Here are my 20:
Alabama
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Reactions: cmjh10

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With all the talk about the Super League in European soccer, I thought I'd come up with what that would look like in CFB. I capped it at 20 teams (roughly 30% of the Power 5). I thought it would be hard to do but actually think this is how it would turn out (not considering state politics). Maybe this is a fun debate, maybe not but not surprisingly despite recent success, I don't think ISU would make the cut. Here are my 20:
Alabama
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Clemson
Miami
FSU
I don’t see Miami’s argument to be on there. UCLA either, really.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldCy and Acylum

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been thinking very similar in terms of the numbers and in terms of the teams.

Nebraska is the one team that clearly played its way out in the past 10-15 years and Clemson is the one that clearly played their way in.

Not sure if Stanford, UCLA and Oregon would be in, I'd put them along with Washington in in iffy territory where maybe some in but not all.

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
I've been thinking very similar in terms of the numbers and in terms of the teams.

Nebraska is the one team that clearly played its way out in the past 10-15 years and Clemson is the one that clearly played their way in.

Not sure if Stanford, UCLA and Oregon would be in, I'd put them along with Washington in in iffy territory where maybe some in but not all.

I included Oregon because of Nike.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Athletic had an article like this.

They included Nebraska so I didn't give it any time

Nebraska has the exact same floor/ceiling as Iowa and ISU now. That may be generous because they are more geographically remote in the same conference footprint as Iowa.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I included Oregon because of Nike.

Yeah they are probably #2 rank for football cache. UCLA, Stanford, Cal and Washington are iffy in terms of if they belong in this "favored nations" group. I see the entire Pac 12 as being on the edge of a knife in terms of the future of major football and hoops. It could go either way.

The Pac is such an afterthought nationally (deserved or not) with every year the media gets a bigger boner for the Big Ten, I enjoyed watching them destroy the rest of college basketball without getting any decent seeds in the dance this year.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
The thing about the European super league is that it wasn’t even the best teams. It’s just the biggest brands. That’s why a lot of people are getting upset about it. These teams want all this money for themselves without having to play the games to earn it. In relative terms. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma want to be in the playoffs without having to play 13 games to get there.

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
I debated the Pac 12 teams too, I think only USC was an obvious choice (even though they've struggled some lately) and I didn't like only including 2 big 12 teams.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron