"Super League" of College Football

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The thing about the European super league is that it wasn’t even the best teams. It’s just the biggest brands. That’s why a lot of people are getting upset about it. These teams want all this money for themselves without having to play the games to earn it. In relative terms. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma want to be in the playoffs without having to play 13 games to get there.

That is the essence of what college football is already about.

I hate Baylor but the committee made it very clear that Baylor andTCU need to play 13 games to be considered for 4 team playoff.

They also made it very clear that Ohio State only needs 6 games to be considered for the same 4 team playoff.

Different sets of rules based on brand.

We already have a superleague in a way as long as that committee is making up new contradictory rules every week and it's always been mostly Big Ten homers on the committee.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

20eyes

May 15, 2020
With all the talk about the Super League in European soccer, I thought I'd come up with what that would look like in CFB. I capped it at 20 teams (roughly 30% of the Power 5). I thought it would be hard to do but actually think this is how it would turn out (not considering state politics). Maybe this is a fun debate, maybe not but not surprisingly despite recent success, I don't think ISU would make the cut. Here are my 20:
Alabama
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Oregon
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Clemson
Miami
FSU
The super league will be 32 teams (NFL lite) so feel free to add 12 teams.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
The thing about the European super league is that it wasn’t even the best teams. It’s just the biggest brands. That’s why a lot of people are getting upset about it. These teams want all this money for themselves without having to play the games to earn it. In relative terms. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma want to be in the playoffs without having to play 13 games to get there.

I agree that's what would drive anything like this that's why I included some teams that aren't necessarily great FB teams now.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaner04

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The super league was DOA. For the same reasons this will never happen in college football. Remember, there are still a LOT of fans of "other" teams that wouldn't land in a super league. You don't make more money by pissing off half or more of your sports fanbase.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I debated the Pac 12 teams too, I think only USC was an obvious choice (even though they've struggled some lately) and I didn't like only including 2 big 12 teams.

You're trying to predict something that is based on greed and money rather than analyzing the football, it's a hard thing to do.

Maybe a separate thread would be to predict these 20 teams if it was only about merit over the past 20 years.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I would probably replace Stanford with Tennessee. Top 15 in all time wins and top 5 in stadium size.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I debated the Pac 12 teams too, I think only USC was an obvious choice (even though they've struggled some lately) and I didn't like only including 2 big 12 teams.
It feels like okie st or kstate could make an argument.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Super League in CFB would get old fast for both the Super League Fans and the Others.

No matter the Payoff, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have no interest in 7-3 seasons, let alone 6-4 and 5-5 seasons. There would always be one team that can have a great season like Alabama last year (13-0 vs. 11 SEC + Notre Dame + Ohio State), but they couldn't ALL be good at the same time.

Bottom line is that the *uber* programs depend on the *unter* programs for their all-time success. Take Oklahoma and Nebraska for example. Take away their all-time wins vs. Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas and Mizzou and check out how pedestrian their all-time winning percentage is.

As for the fans of other programs like Iowa State, they would stop watching games with other programs that are literally in a different level of competition. I know, I would. I'd be done with those other teams. Bottom line is that I will support and follow Iowa State's league and ruck the fest of 'em!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter - as it will never happen.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
That is the essence of what college football is already about.

I hate Baylor but the committee made it very clear that Baylor andTCU need to play 13 games to be considered for 4 team playoff.

They also made it very clear that Ohio State only needs 6 games to be considered for the same 4 team playoff.

Different sets of rules based on brand.

We already have a superleague in a way as long as that committee is making up new contradictory rules every week and it's always been mostly Big Ten homers on the committee.
Yeah sadly the super league is a very American sports based way of doing things. Which in Europe is very sad because the way they do things over there is great as well. We have college, g leagues, minor leagues. They have club academies. It’s two very different things that don’t need to intertwine. Their teams play for promotions and relegations from leagues and playoff type competitions like the champions league. The only relegating and promoting we have is when players get drafted or called up/sent down otherwise it’s a guarantee you’re still in the same league.

CysDoc

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
Super League in CFB would get old fast for both the Super League Fans and the Others.

No matter the Payoff, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have no interest in 7-3 seasons, let alone 6-4 and 5-5 seasons. There would always be one team that can have a great season like Alabama last year (13-0 vs. 11 SEC + Notre Dame + Ohio State), but they couldn't ALL be good at the same time.

Bottom line is that the *uber* programs depend on the *unter* programs for their all-time success. Take Oklahoma and Nebraska for example. Take away their all-time wins vs. Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas and Mizzou and check out how pedestrian their all-time winning percentage is.

As for the fans of other programs like Iowa State, they would stop watching games with other programs that are literally in a different level of competition. I know, I would. I'd be done with those other teams! Bottom line is that I will support and follow Iowa State's league and ruck the fest of 'em!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter - as it will never happen.

Totally agree with all of this. I wasn't suggesting I wanted this, it would suck . Just thoughts on a boring Wednesday, dreaming of CFB.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The only positive to either Super League happening is it would free up a ton of my week with all of the sports I would no longer care to watch.

I’d rather watch a random Big 12 game than a playoff game between Clemson and Bama, and as a soccer follower I’ve always preferred the Premier League or Bundesliga to the Champions League anyway. Neither the Champions League nor the Playoff have any soul. Super Leagues wouldn’t fix that.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get what you are saying, but nobody else in the Big 12 has made a strong case for inclusion. Someone has to get to the top and stay there for a while to be considered.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Nebraska has the exact same floor/ceiling as Iowa and ISU now. That may be generous because they are more geographically remote in the same conference footprint as Iowa.
Nebraska is more geographically remote? Omaha Lincoln area is way more populated that anything around Iowa or Iowa State.

Help Support Us

Become a patron