Sudden Divorce Syndrome

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
My dad who was married prior to my birth had 3 kids with a woman he married right out of highschool. Some years down the road she left him for another man and tried her best to convince my half-sisters not to like him. My dad is a great guy with a big heart. He is a very sincere man. His ex-wife did really well with the payments my dad had to make to her and her new husband. They drove a very nice car and bought a nice house while my dad struggled to make ends meet. How awful. To this day there is still weirdness between him and my sisters. Divorce made them cold and bitter. Just recently has my older sister realized that she missed out all of these years on a good relationship with my father. Its sad really how much someone can devastate a family.

That is a sad story and it's too bad it had to happen to your dad, who sounds like a wonderful man. I hope your other sister can still develop a good relationship with him for both of their sakes! I'll bet it would mean the world to him! Your dad has my best wishes.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
That is a sad story and it's too bad it had to happen to your dad, who sounds like a wonderful man. I hope your other sister can still develop a good relationship with him for both of their sakes! I'll bet it would mean the world to him! Your dad has my best wishes.

They live in various locations near Iowa at least within 4-5 hours and never come to visit. He has had really bad health lately and is 70 years old. I just have this feeling the last time I will ever see them, will be at his funeral.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
They live in various locations near Iowa at least within 4-5 hours and never come to visit. He has had really bad health lately and is 70 years old. I just have this feeling the last time I will ever see them, will be at his funeral.

Well, Christmas is here and maybe they will do some soul-searching and come to realize how nice it would be to make amends with their dad. I hope that happens.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm divorced and spend an arm and a leg in child support and on my kids. It has brought me closer to my 2 girls though. I have joint custody so when I have them I'm with them. I get pretty pissed off about the money that goes to the ex. Not because I want more stuff but so I can take the girls on vacations or spoil them a little. Every penny goes towards their sports, school, college fund, insurance, etc...

My point is that the kids get screwed far worse than the parents do when there's a divorce.

ISU has suffered a bit as well. I don't spend what I used to. :)

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Wow, this story made me sick. It seems that in the case of divorces all of the assurances and promises of well-being are stacked in favor of the women involved.

If I was thrust in that situation I can understand how men may be prone to lash out with irrational thinking.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm divorced and spend an arm and a leg in child support and on my kids. It has brought me closer to my 2 girls though. I have joint custody so when I have them I'm with them. I get pretty pissed off about the money that goes to the ex. Not because I want more stuff but so I can take the girls on vacations or spoil them a little. Every penny goes towards their sports, school, college fund, insurance, etc...

My point is that the kids get screwed far worse than the parents do when there's a divorce.

ISU has suffered a bit as well. I don't spend what I used to. :)

It sounds as if your ex is a little more fair than most. When two people get divorced they should totally focus on the kids and whats best for them. Most times the parents get selfish and it gets ugly. Did your ex fight joint custody or was she willing to split things even.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That is an awful story. I had something similar happen but we weren't married and it was much less complicated without kids. My ex-gf and I were together the last 1/2 of college and 2 years into my working carrer...we were together for 3 1/2 years. We were talking about marriage and all that goes along with it. She was very genuine and nice and wasn't the person who lied/did things behind my back. I thought things were going well until 1 day her roommate calls me because she feels guilty...apparently she was screwing around and it wasn't the first time. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I was pretty devestated but I recovered just fine. I actually learned alot from the whole thing.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If she would have fought on it I would have probably killed her...I'm not joking. That being said, it was fairly amicable and the kids haven't suffered like some do. The ex. has some mental issues that were REALLY bad last year but are under control now.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
That is an awful story. I had something similar happen but we weren't married and it was much less complicated without kids. My ex-gf and I were together the last 1/2 of college and 2 years into my working carrer...we were together for 3 1/2 years. We were talking about marriage and all that goes along with it. She was very genuine and nice and wasn't the person who lied/did things behind my back. I thought things were going well until 1 day her roommate calls me because she feels guilty...apparently she was screwing around and it wasn't the first time. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I was pretty devestated but I recovered just fine. I actually learned alot from the whole thing.

Her roommate called to tell you? She didn't? No matter how tough it was for her to admit--if it were me, I'd still want to hear it from her. I've been through too many thorny patches of lies to take someone else's word for what happened.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I just have this feeling the last time I will ever see them, will be at his funeral.

I think you phrased this wrong. Of course the last time we see most people is at there funeral. I think what you meant to say is "the next time I see him will be at his funeral."

Tell him good luck. Is he a Hawkeye fan? I am just saying there might be a reason she left him. :wink:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Her roommate called to tell you? She didn't? No matter how tough it was for her to admit--if it were me, I'd still want to hear it from her. I've been through too many thorny patches of lies to take someone else's word for what happened.

That's how I found out. I called her on it and she basically admitted it. It turns out she wasn't quite the person I thought.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think you phrased this wrong. Of course the last time we see most people is at there funeral. I think what you meant to say is "the next time I see him will be at his funeral."

Tell him good luck. Is he a Hawkeye fan? I am just saying there might be a reason she left him. :wink:
I thought he was saying the last time he will see his half-sister's will be at his dad's funeral...as in they will be done with him being part of there family after his dad dies.....I think that's what he meant.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I thought he was saying the last time he will see his half-sister's will be at his dad's funeral...as in they will be done with him being part of there family after his dad dies.....I think that's what he meant.

That is exactly what I meant. I probably wont see them again.