Storm Watch

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'd imagine storm chasers are experiencing one giant har...excuse me, I'd imagine storm chasers are feeling a lot like kids at Christmas right about now.

Definitely not a night for amateurs to be out roaming around the countryside.
But tonight is my weekly go out into the cornfields with a flashlight and count corn stalks night... :sad:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Sounds like you guys need to send some rain out west. The Govenator just declared California in a state of drout or something like that

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Omaha area is suppose to have more action tonight than they did yesterday. Conditions are ripe for an explosion of storms along the front and south of the jetstream. Two supercells formed in Nebraska yesterday. The Murray NE to Creston IA one lasted for four hours spawning tonados.

Holy Smokes, Batman.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
any news about Highway 30 flooding?

I have been on the phone almost all day so I haven't had the radio on.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I doubt that it is. The winds have been blowing here round the clock from the south at 25+ MPH since Monday. All that energy-laden moist air from the gulf is coming right up to you...

The air is really heavy right now - and I can tell we're in for storms. I just hope the severity isn't as big as forecast.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Re: How does the flooding in Ames compare to 1993?

Not to minimize the impact of the floods of '93, but I think the scoreboard in Hilton was probably damaged because it had been lowered to the floor. If the scoreboard was in the air and was damaged by floodwater, I think the entire city would have to have been literally underwater.

To answer your question, in terms of damage the flooding we experienced last week wasn't anywhere near what happened in '93. It has affected some businesses and forced evacuation of some homes and apartments at the time, but for the most part everything is running normally right now. But if we do in fact get lots more rain in the coming days, who knows what might happen?
Galleries