Storm Watch

C

Cyclone42

When does thr drought start?

Hopefully soon, we need to dry out.

Plus, when it is not raining, it is hot and really sticky humid.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Incredible...2-4 inches of rain possible in the next 48 hours:sad:
And even more than that by next Monday. They're saying at least 1.5 inches tonight, and another 1.5 inches tomorrow night (with tomorrow being the bigger storm supposedly).

Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night are all supposed to bring us more rain.

Gross.

C

Cyclone42

How does the flooding in Ames compare to 1993?

I was attending ISU when the great summer floods happened in 1993. I decided to stay in town that summer, and take summer courses. If many people don't remember, or are too young to remember, that was when Hilton got flooded and needed about $8 million in repairs. The water was so deep in Hilton that the central scoreboard had water damage. For about a week or so, the central part of Ames (ISU and east to main street) was completely cut off from the outside world, because of flooding of rivers on the east and west sides. I also remember one morning, some lady got stuck in a tree in the State Center parking lot, and the police had to rescue her with a boat. Yeah, it was that bad.

Anyway, I was wondering how the flooding this year compares. Doesn't sound like it is anywhere near as bad.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Tornado warnings now just southwest of the Des Moines area.

And it looks like Ed Wilson is poised for a long night of interrupting the Stanley Cup Finals.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Re: How does the flooding in Ames compare to 1993?

I was attending ISU when the great summer floods happened in 1993. I decided to stay in town that summer, and take summer courses. If many people don't remember, or are too young to remember, that was when Hilton got flooded and needed about $8 million in repairs. The water was so deep in Hilton that the central scoreboard had water damage. For about a week or so, the central part of Ames (ISU and east to main street) was completely cut off from the outside world, because of flooding of rivers on the east and west sides. I also remember one morning, some lady got stuck in a tree in the State Center parking lot, and the police had to rescue her with a boat. Yeah, it was that bad.

Anyway, I was wondering how the flooding this year compares. Doesn't sound like it is anywhere near as bad.

Not to minimize the impact of the floods of '93, but I think the scoreboard in Hilton was probably damaged because it had been lowered to the floor. If the scoreboard was in the air and was damaged by floodwater, I think the entire city would have to have been literally underwater.

To answer your question, in terms of damage the flooding we experienced last week wasn't anywhere near what happened in '93. It has affected some businesses and forced evacuation of some homes and apartments at the time, but for the most part everything is running normally right now. But if we do in fact get lots more rain in the coming days, who knows what might happen?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It wasn't the center scoreboard. It was the boards in the corners between the arena circle and parquet...approximately 12-14 feet above the floor.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
It wasn't the center scoreboard. It was the boards in the corners between the arena circle and parquet...approximately 12-14 feet above the floor.

OK, that much I do remember hearing, and I remember seeing video of that too.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

Unfortunately Hilton became the largest swimming pool in Ames...

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Everyone stay safe and don't take chances with this.

Truthfully, I'd rather watch live megadoppler in ANY weather than watch the Stanley Cup Finals.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I, too, have to side with the radar.

It's not that I hate hockey, its that I just can't bear to watch it. It's like tennis - I love the sport, but unless I'm watching either Federer or Djokovic, I'm hardpressed to watch more than one set.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron