PF: Ejim
PF: Niang
Off The Bench: Naz, SDW, Morris, Edozie

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Naz isn't going from our 10th man last year to a starter. Not a chance. He will be our second guy off the bench this year at best IMO.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I Think the Starting Lineup will Depend on Opponent

A few thoughts:
  • We managed to get through the Big 12 season last year starting Niang and Ejim on the defensive end. Its not like they got worse over the summer- they will be our post starters this year unless Gibson or Edozie are VERY good. Remember Fred likes to spread the court, so it is more important to have wing players who can rebound than a big guy in the post.
  • We might not have a set starting lineup. I could see opponent match-ups dictate the starting lineup from game to game.
  • How much has Melvin's jump shot improved over the summer? If he can shoot 35-40% over the season that gives ISU a ton of flexibility. It could give more minutes to Gibson or Edozie and allow us to go big. Against other teams it would allow ISU to go with Niang, Hogue and Ejim up front - size and physical players.
  • CFH likes to have 4-5 three point shooters on the floor at all times- so alot depends on how well Kane and Ejim hit the 3's. If they are consistent- then Hogue, Dorsey-Walker, Long and Morris will fight for 80 mpg. I wouldn't surprise me if they each get 15-23 mpg.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Naz isn't going from our 10th man last year to a starter. Not a chance. He will be our second guy off the bench this year at best IMO.

My bet is on 5th starter or 6th man. The guy seems to have poise, which is what this team needs in the early going.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Based off of the cap city league or what?

Yes, and factoring in that he was behind Babb/McGee/Lucious/Bubu last year. I think if Kane is at PG we will need Naz and his hopefully improved ball skills. Plus, he looks jacked. Of course this is all out-of-the-arse talk...I wouldn't be surprised at Thomas starting either. It could be that Naz needs to be off the bench as a second PG.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Yes, and factoring in that he was behind Babb/McGee/Lucious/Bubu last year. I think if Kane is at PG we will need Naz and his hopefully improved ball skills. Plus, he looks jacked. Of course this is all out-of-the-arse talk...I wouldn't be surprised at Thomas starting either. It could be that Naz needs to be off the bench as a second PG.

Stating that he is gonna start/be the sixth man is saying that you think he is better than Thomas, Dorsey-Walker, and Morris. I just don't see it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Just seeing in your post "Babb/McGee/Lucious/Bubu" made me sigh. I realize it's early yet, as official practice doesn't begin for our guys until tomorrow, but its quite possible that the coaches are probably having plenty of questions/concerns/decisions to make, as well. Regardless of the lineup, I just hope our fan base is patient. Like most of you, I have a ton of confidence in CFH. But, if you don't think the newbies will have to take some lumps while they soak up needed experience against high level competition, then I think you're kidding yourselves. (just hopefully not to the extent as the FB team). The biggest questionmark in my mind would be a pg who can not only defend other Big12 guards, but handle pressure. Lucious and Bubu might of had turnovers, but they usually could handle the pressure, and still get us into our offense.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There's enough uncertainty about the lineup that it'll be interesting to see how it comes together.

I continue to think Gibson is a key X-Factor this season, regardless whether he starts or comes off the bench.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought it was interesting that Naz was in the new uniform pic. Not sure if there is much to read into that or not.

View attachment 22151

I wondered, too, and didn't want to read much into it, either.

As far as potential starters, I'd probably be swayed a little by his inclusion in the uniform-modeling. Not that it guarantees he's on the starting unit — Ejim and Niang would be obvious choices for the photo-shoot — was "the other player" just who was available that day?

From an identification standpoint, it'd make sense to have a player on last year's active roster for the third slot — which is essentially Gibson, Long or SDW.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

I forgot that you're maxed out once you reach campus as a freshman. Can't improve at all. Losing 5 seniors doesn't help you move up either.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Exactly. This is why Gibson and Booker started over Niang last season during Big 12 play. Non 5 star freshmen just aren't ready.
I wasn't saying freshmen cant start I was just saying they have just as much to prove as Gibson does if they want the start. im not going to expect a Niang type of impact from every freshman even if they are top 100.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Just seeing in your post "Babb/McGee/Lucious/Bubu" made me sigh. I realize it's early yet, as official practice doesn't begin for our guys until tomorrow, but its quite possible that the coaches are probably having plenty of questions/concerns/decisions to make, as well. Regardless of the lineup, I just hope our fan base is patient. Like most of you, I have a ton of confidence in CFH. But, if you don't think the newbies will have to take some lumps while they soak up needed experience against high level competition, then I think you're kidding yourselves. (just hopefully not to the extent as the FB team). The biggest questionmark in my mind would be a pg who can not only defend other Big12 guards, but handle pressure. Lucious and Bubu might of had turnovers, but they usually could handle the pressure, and still get us into our offense.
I thought luscious shot to much as a PG even when he was having a horrid night, and I never liked it when bubu had the ball. seemed like every game he would try and drive the lane get bumped and lose it. im looking forward to seeing something new even if there are growing pains

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Kane
Thomas
Hogue
Ejim
Niang

Morris
Walker
Gibson

I think Morris will get a lot of minutes and eventually start by mid-season, sliding Thomas to a wing in place of Hogue. I think we're going to play a lot of three-guard in that run-and-shoot system. Big teams are going to give us fits and we'll all be wishing the Amardi deal went a different way I think.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
no matter who ends up being in the starting line up, there are a lot of good players competing for it. and that's a good thing

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Stating that he is gonna start/be the sixth man is saying that you think he is better than Thomas, Dorsey-Walker, and Morris. I just don't see it.

So you think because a freshman was the 10th guy last year he can't start or be a 6th man when we lost Luscious, Babb, McGee, Palo, and Clyburn, yet the guy who redshirted and didn't play a minute is going to be ahead of him and both freshman are as well? Hmmm... Interesting

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
with Niang being pretty good friends with Naz. hard to think they haven't developed some kind of chemistry on the court also.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Kane
Thomas
Hogue
Ejim
Niang

Morris
Walker
Gibson

I think Morris will get a lot of minutes and eventually start by mid-season, sliding Thomas to a wing in place of Hogue. I think we're going to play a lot of three-guard in that run-and-shoot system. Big teams are going to give us fits and we'll all be wishing the Amardi deal went a different way I think.

That works both ways...we will force bigs to play out of position as well. Ask Notre Dame how that worked for them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron