Star Trek Universe Thread

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I need some advice here. I just got Paramount+ and looking to dive into the new Star Trek shows. Where do I start? Last night I started with Lower Decks because I've been intrigued for some time. I got half-way through the first episode and I shut it off (please tell me it gets better). That's the only one I've seen.
You need a decent understanding of the previous Trek-series to understand the jokes in Lower Decks. S2 is much better and begins telling it's own story rather than relying on making fun of older Trek episodes, but if you don't get the references then it may not make as much sense.

You may want to start with Discovery and watch all 4 seasons or at least get through S2 of Discovery. S2 introduces Captain Pike and his crew of the USS Enterprise, which is what Strange New Worlds is based on. You could jump right in to Strange New Worlds but there has been some brief references to characters that are in Discovery.

If you wanted to watch Picard you could probably jump right in as long as you know who Seven of Nine is and her backstory.

Reactions: Triggermv

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Honestly, if it's been awhile and you have the time I highly recommend a rewatch of TNG.

I find that that benefits the watch experience for lower decks and Picard. (And may be why I vehemently disagree with some of the haters on Picard)

Reactions: HoopsTournament

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
You need a decent understanding of the previous Trek-series to understand the jokes in Lower Decks. S2 is much better and begins telling it's own story rather than relying on making fun of older Trek episodes, but if you don't get the references then it may not make as much sense.

You may want to start with Discovery and watch all 4 seasons or at least get through S2 of Discovery. S2 introduces Captain Pike and his crew of the USS Enterprise, which is what Strange New Worlds is based on. You could jump right in to Strange New Worlds but there has been some brief references to characters that are in Discovery.

If you wanted to watch Picard you could probably jump right in as long as you know who Seven of Nine is and her backstory.

For the most part I've watched all of TNG, DS9, and enough of Voyager to know enough. I found the characters and the editing of Lower Decks ep. 1 to be horrible. The one character was very annoying.

I will start with Discovery and go from there....so much to watch right before football season!

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I need some advice here. I just got Paramount+ and looking to dive into the new Star Trek shows. Where do I start? Last night I started with Lower Decks because I've been intrigued for some time. I got half-way through the first episode and I shut it off (please tell me it gets better). That's the only one I've seen.

91n-APGmFXL._RI_.jpg

Reactions: Frak and BigTurk

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Honestly, if it's been awhile and you have the time I highly recommend a rewatch of TNG.

I find that that benefits the watch experience for lower decks and Picard. (And may be why I vehemently disagree with some of the haters on Picard)
TNG was great. I still love it. But if you are going to rewatch one of the 90s series, make it DS 9. It’s the best of the bunch, and the Dominion War arc was the best plot Trek ever did. Characters on DS 9 are the best too.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Strange New Worlds. It’s awesome. Then Discovery and Picard, in that order.

Reactions: CascadeClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TNG was great. I still love it. But if you are going to rewatch one of the 90s series, make it DS 9. It’s the best of the bunch, and the Dominion War arc was the best plot Trek ever did. Characters on DS 9 are the best too.

I love me some DS9, and everyone should watch it at least once, I just think that relative to the new series there's a lot more benefit from TNG. Very little from DS9 passes on into future series. Even Voyager is more essential in that regard.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Honestly I'd be interested but I think modern TV ruined me. I can't imagine going back and rewatching TNG, that's like 175 episodes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Honestly I'd be interested but I think modern TV ruined me. I can't imagine going back and rewatching TNG, that's like 175 episodes.

Its definitely a lot, but the good thing is that its easy to pick up and put down since there's very little continuity between episodes.

TNG is my comfort watch show though. If i just want to throw something on in the background, TNG is good for that.

Reactions: Triggermv

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

I rewatched all the old series starting in 2019 and finished it this year. Have watched every episode of Trek. Love Lower Decks.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally got to watching Star Trek: Prodigy and I've got to admit that I fairly enjoyed the series so far. While the main character can be a little too obnoxious in an Ezra Bridger kind of way, I really enjoyed some of the supporting characters, as well as the villains. For a series targeted to kids on Nickelodeon, I found it to be shockingly dark and mature at times, but in a good way. I also kind of liked how Star Warsy the series felt in many ways, but all while not losing the fact that it is still a Star Trek series at heart. It wasn't perfect and it didn't help that the main character annoyed the crap out of me about 50% of the time, but everything else was strong enough to keep me entertained. In particular, I really love the Gwyndala character, and hope they lean more into her being a co-lead in the future.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just finally finished Strange New Worlds. I found it to be fantastic and it renewed my love of Star Trek. Everything is stepped up in this series including the aesthetics, the costumes, the writing, the directing, and the actors. It truly feels like old school Trek, and I'm loving it. I can't say enough good things about the new actors playing both Captain Pike and Spock. They are my two favorite characters on TV right now. In fact, I'm ordering one of the new Captain Pike uniforms to wear for Halloween because I love him so much. Is the show perfect? No. I hated 90% of the Elysian Kingdom episode, and found a couple other episodes to be just okay, but having a few episodes be less than stellar is to be expected. Also, I found the new actress to play Uhura to be just ok, and really didn't think the new actor playing Captain Kirk represented the character well at all. Outside of those two, I loved the rest of the cast. Their casting department was generally on point in getting in good talent.

Lastly, I gotta give credit again to just how good this show looked. The effects on this show are greatly improving, these are my favorite new Star Trek uniforms, the look of the Enterprise is outstanding, and I can tell they have utilized shooting with the new Volume technology really well. While the latest Star Wars series like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett have fallen into the trap of relying on the new Volume technology way too much in order to keep costs down, the way Star Trek is shot differently than Star Wars, its perfect for utilizing the Volume a lot. Anyway, can't wait for next season, and this show might possibly be my favorite series on TV right now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I finished the second half of Star Trek: Prodigy here recently and have a few thoughts. Overall, I thought the series was decent, but not great. There were parts and characters I really liked such as Janeway, Gwen, her father, zero and Murf, but there were other parts and characters such as Dal, Rok-Tahk and Jankom to be vary degrees of obnoxious. Its never good when your main lead character is on that obnoxious list either. I somewhat compare Dal to Ezra in Star Wars Rebels. In general, I liked Star Wars rebels and while Ezra did get better over time, I still found him overall annoying and fairly unlikeable. Hopefully Dal improves over time more than Ezra did. I also found some of the storytelling fairly contrived and week, but had enough good characters in it to keep me entertained and compelled enough. I also found the first half of the season to be a bit better than the 2nd half. Anyway, has anyone else seen this show? If so, what were your thoughts?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally fully caught up on Picard S3 as we all head into the finale, and my, so so good. Chef's kiss mmmmmwwwwwaaaa!!!! Can't wait to see the finale. All credit goes to the writers of this series.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin