STANZ: Thoughts on Tyrese Hunter's transfer, ISU and an NIL collective and more

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
There should be a cultural expectation to contribute something. The needs are vast.

If Iowa State doesn’t care about Iowa St, no one else will either. There are many fans boasting about how even if they had money, they wouldn’t donate. All while spending 20 years on a message board following ISU. That contradiction is more prevalent at ISU than any school I’m familiar with
Agree totally.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There should be a cultural expectation to contribute something. The needs are vast.

If Iowa State doesn’t care about Iowa St, no one else will either. There are many fans boasting about how even if they had money, they wouldn’t donate. All while spending 20 years on a message board following ISU. That contradiction is more prevalent at ISU than any school I’m familiar with

If “cultural expectations” amounts to what is essentially blackmailing the fans and donating money to further a game that we in no way can end up winning then I don’t want to be a part of that culture. By donating, you’re saying “I’m fine with this”.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If “cultural expectations” amounts to what is essentially blackmailing the fans and donating money to further a game that we in no way can end up winning then I don’t want to be a part of that culture. By donating, you’re saying “I’m fine with this”.
A new winner in the contest of "I have the best justification excuse for not contributing!"

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
i wonder if NIL will have any impact on head coach compensation. if i was a contributor to a university to help finance the salary of a head coach i think i might consider that providing NIL compensation to players would have a greater impact on results. a lot of programs could currently get a pretty good basketball roster for the same amount as the salary of the coach.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Fatalism is one approach.

It’s the same game. Just now money will be spent on the actual inputs instead of only on the ecosystem.. Did you really think it was so much more expensive for kids to play basketball or football than 50 years ago?

I could see this increasing fan spending more than just redirect, as most will see the value in buying players or rosters.

You could even see a group “lease” a program or AD. If JP can lease the Iowa State Center to developers, giving up upside to get things financed on someone else’s books, why not MBB or the AD itself? Better than asking for donations

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
i wonder if NIL will have any impact on head coach compensation. if i was a contributor to a university to help finance the salary of a head coach i think i might consider that providing NIL compensation to players would have a greater impact on results. a lot of programs could currently get a pretty good basketball roster for the same amount as the salary of the coach.
It most certainly will have an impact on coach’s salary and/or facilities. Unless you think the pay for play, I mean NIL dollars are going to be completely new then that means diversion of donations. I think it will be some of both, meaning fewer dollars for coaches. And that’s fine. They are overwhelmingly the ones Getting rich, so if you think college athletes were being exploited, coaches were the exploiters.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Lol at someone saying there should be a cultural expectation to donate to my alma mater's college athletics. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire life

If I donate to something it sure as **** won't be so some 18 year old can make more than I do to play basketball. I'll donate to a scholarship fund or give a little more to charities or hell donate to a local trade school so we can get more people to actually contribute useful labor.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Lol at someone saying there should be a cultural expectation to donate to my alma mater's college athletics. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire life

If I donate to something it sure as **** won't be so some 18 year old can make more than I do to play basketball. I'll donate to a scholarship fund or give a little more to charities or hell donate to a local trade school so we can get more people to actually contribute useful labor.
Donor culture isn’t limited to athletics. Again, the needs are vast.

Don’t be poor. Don’t be cheap.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't want anything to do with semi pro athletics. I also do not agree that college athletes should be able to profit and remain amateur. All interest and support is rapidly ending on my part.

• Agree
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
We need to find a way to think outside the box and maybe even privatize some of the things at ISU. Maybe the management of event tickets? Raise the football and basketball tickets by $5 (or maybe even more) and use that money for NIL.

$5 x 50,000 tickets = $250,000 x 6/7 home games = $1,500,000/$1,750,000 per football season

$5 x 10,000 tickets = $50,000 x 18 home games = $900,000 per men's basketball season

I think most everyone would have no issue dropping an additional $5 or so. Instead of asking just a few people to donate hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It's not a coincidence that Iowa State has the lowest donation levels in the B12 and also has never been good at football until the last few years. KState had a 20 year headstart on good ROI. If ISU's program maintains its current level for 14 more years we will catch and most likely far surpass KState in donations.
I’ve wondered how much our lack of putting guys in the NFL plays into our athletic donation level. We have guys making pretty decent coin in the NBA and I’ve wondered how much they are “invited” to donate. All in all, none of my business though.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
We need to find a way to think outside the box and maybe even privatize some of the things at ISU. Maybe the management of event tickets? Raise the football and basketball tickets by $5 (or maybe even more) and use that money for NIL.

$5 x 50,000 tickets = $250,000 x 6/7 home games = $1,500,000/$1,750,000 per football season

$5 x 10,000 tickets = $50,000 x 18 home games = $900,000 per men's basketball season

I think most everyone would have no issue dropping an additional $5 or so. Instead of asking just a few people to donate hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Or how about this- have someone put his personal feelings aside and allow the sale of alcohol at sporting events. Seems like that may be a good place to start. Let the Gridiron Club set up separate stands or whatever it takes to make it work.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It most certainly will have an impact on coach’s salary and/or facilities. Unless you think the pay for play, I mean NIL dollars are going to be completely new then that means diversion of donations. I think it will be some of both, meaning fewer dollars for coaches. And that’s fine. They are overwhelmingly the ones Getting rich, so if you think college athletes were being exploited, coaches were the exploiters.

Counterpoint:

In recent years, as coaching salaries among the P5 have risen even at lower end P5 schools, we have seen more coaches opting to stick around rather than try to start from scratch somewhere new.

Now that pay for play with minimal transfer barriers exist, any coach at a lower end P5 school (like ISU) is much more vulnerable to having their team picked apart. Right when a coach might be in need of a winning season to secure an extension, they may have to eat a bad one and be at risk of being put on the hot seat through no real fault of their own. This decreased job security will give more incentive to jump at the offers by the big money players, especially since they know those big players will also have an NIL war chest to play with. This will force salaries upward as institutions try to compensate with more pay.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans

The fact that this would be against the rules is probably a big deterrent. The school/AD/coaches cant have involvement with NIL. Im not sure how many times thats been repeated byt hopefulky sooner rather than later people realize this.

JP cant create a way to provide NIL revenue, it has to come from outside sources. Hence the focus on fans/boosters.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I’ve wondered how much our lack of putting guys in the NFL plays into our athletic donation level. We have guys making pretty decent coin in the NBA and I’ve wondered how much they are “invited” to donate. All in all, none of my business though.

Given how often the school asks everyone else, I would assume the professional athletes are also invited to donate frequently. I agree, having more millionaire alumni of the sports programs would probably be helpful.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hired a former ISU linebacker tax accountant that doesn’t know his CF user name?:jimlad:

I wanted to make that joke, but wondered if it would cross a line since it is his business. Now that I see he laughed, I may start thinking about more tax accountant jokes!

Last edited:
Reactions: isufbcurt