STANZ: Thoughts on Tyrese Hunter's transfer, ISU and an NIL collective and more

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The fact that this would be against the rules is probably a big deterrent. The school/AD/coaches cant have involvement with NIL. Im not sure how many times thats been repeated byt hopefulky sooner rather than later people realize this.

JP cant create a way to provide NIL revenue, it has to come from outside sources. Hence the focus on fans/boosters.
I thought of a ticket-boost idea similar to what @GTO proposed above, then I assumed it probably isn't allowed if it counts as "school contribution to pay." Or at least it's my guess that's the case.

Then I wondered, what if ticket cost came with option of "Would you like to contribute to the NIL collective?" With customizable $ amount. Would that still be disallowed, since it "involves the institution"? Just trying to think of creative ideas.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Counterpoint:

In recent years, as coaching salaries among the P5 have risen even at lower end P5 schools, we have seen more coaches opting to stick around rather than try to start from scratch somewhere new.

Now that pay for play with minimal transfer barriers exist, any coach at a lower end P5 school (like ISU) is much more vulnerable to having their team picked apart. Right when a coach might be in need of a winning season to secure an extension, they may have to eat a bad one and be at risk of being put on the hot seat through no real fault of their own. This decreased job security will give more incentive to jump at the offers by the big money players, especially since they know those big players will also have an NIL war chest to play with. This will force salaries upward as institutions try to compensate with more pay.
Sure, I think that will happen short term at the expense of capital projects and running as lean as possible.

In the end I think it’s inevitable that there is a good amount of NIL that will be diversions of donations. So I think the first step is like you describe. The second step is coaches are stratified between haves and have nots, and the final step is a decline in coaches salaries even for the top.

The reality is the interest in the sport has not grown fast, and this is a massive new expense, with nothing that generates new interest or fans.

I am skeptical that a sport whose viewership trends are in a slow growth mode and attendance has been in a flat/decline trend is going to sustainably fund the money to cover this expense as it is starting so far.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sure, I think that will happen short term at the expense of capital projects and running as lean as possible.

In the end I think it’s inevitable that there is a good amount of NIL that will be diversions of donations. So I think the first step is like you describe. The second step is coaches are stratified between haves and have nots, and the final step is a decline in coaches salaries even for the top.

The reality is the interest in the sport has not grown fast, and this is a massive new expense, with nothing that generates new interest or fans.

I am skeptical that a sport whose viewership trends are in a slow growth mode and attendance has been in a flat/decline trend is going to sustainably fund the money to cover this expense as it is starting so far.

NIL is certainly in the meme phase right now.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
NIL is certainly in the meme phase right now.
No thread yet on the Launch of We Will?
Sounds like we will take the path less travelled. We will not attempt to compete with the big boys, and our guys (eventually women) will have to actually assist a charity to get some money. My guess is we are taking maybe thousands of dollars, not hundreds of thousands. Solid Board members. Time will tell if this approach will allow us to be competitive. I wish us well , and as I have said all as long - I will do what I can to support this. Go Clones!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sounds like we will take the path less travelled. We will not attempt to compete with the big boys, and our guys (eventually women) will have to actually assist a charity to get some money. My guess is we are taking maybe thousands of dollars, not hundreds of thousands. Solid Board members. Time will tell if this approach will allow us to be competitive. I wish us well , and as I have said all as long - I will do what I can to support this. Go Clones!

I mean, most likely that 'assistance' will be a token amount. $50k for lending your NIL to some promotional materials for a charity, maybe appearing in commercial? Sure.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I mean, most likely that 'assistance' will be a token amount. $50k for lending your NIL to some promotional materials for a charity, maybe appearing in commercial? Sure.
I suspect we are talking much, much less than $50K

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There should be a cultural expectation to contribute something. The needs are vast.

If Iowa State doesn’t care about Iowa St, no one else will either. There are many fans boasting about how even if they had money, they wouldn’t donate. All while spending 20 years on a message board following ISU. That contradiction is more prevalent at ISU than any school I’m familiar with
Good idea. The culture is changing. Maybe that comes with more of a price in the future? But there should always be freedom of choice.
We need to find a way to think outside the box and maybe even privatize some of the things at ISU. Maybe the management of event tickets? Raise the football and basketball tickets by $5 (or maybe even more) and use that money for NIL.

$5 x 50,000 tickets = $250,000 x 6/7 home games = $1,500,000/$1,750,000 per football season

$5 x 10,000 tickets = $50,000 x 18 home games = $900,000 per men's basketball season

I think most everyone would have no issue dropping an additional $5 or so. Instead of asking just a few people to donate hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Thinking outside the box, yes. Since your idea won't be allowed some entity (entities) will have to step up. And your idea still puts a lot (too much for some) on the fans who purchase the tickets. How about the other fans/alums who don't purchase tickets at all or that often? I live out of State.

Perhaps CF will be one of those to step up. After all those that are here love ISU. We want ISU to succeed. Perhaps a baseline of $100/year membership to CF that will go entirely to NIL in this new age? That is something over me though as it affects numbers for CF and advertising.

As much as I love ISU and am on CF I would do it, if it helps. I'll do it until the Fat Lady sings and it really isn't worth it. But we don't know that yet. I would hate to lose some of the current posters and lurkers here and that would likely happen.

Get the players involved in making appearances/promotions for advertisers/charities. The way maybe NIL was intended to work. Make those opportunities available. Etc.
I will contribute. Don't know how much yet. I don't like the whole idea. But I am able and willing, to a point. Maybe things will settle in a few years? Can reassess then.

Reactions: Cyclad

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Good idea. The culture is changing. Maybe that comes with more of a price in the future? But there should always be freedom of choice.

Thinking outside the box, yes. Since your idea won't be allowed some entity (entities) will have to step up. And your idea still puts a lot (too much for some) on the fans who purchase the tickets. How about the other fans/alums who don't purchase tickets at all or that often? I live out of State.

Perhaps CF will be one of those to step up. After all those that are here love ISU. We want ISU to succeed. Perhaps a baseline of $100/year membership to CF that will go entirely to NIL in this new age? That is something over me though as it affects numbers for CF and advertising.

As much as I love ISU and am on CF I would do it, if it helps. I'll do it until the Fat Lady sings and it really isn't worth it. But we don't know that yet. I would hate to lose some of the current posters and lurkers here and that would likely happen.

Get the players involved in making appearances/promotions for advertisers/charities. The way maybe NIL was intended to work. Make those opportunities available. Etc.

I will contribute. Don't know how much yet. I don't like the whole idea. But I am able and willing, to a point. Maybe things will settle in a few years? Can reassess then.
Sorry in advance. I have taken time to open up any of the links to the We will sites yet. Someone told me the WeWill NIL started is just for BB and FB. Is that true? I'm fine with that but JP probably won't be (not that he is involved with NIL Fundraising- I don't think). Would assume other people can or will step up to devise their own for other sports, if they choose. For example, someone posted info on here that KU Football had a fund just for football, correct?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Sorry in advance. I have taken time to open up any of the links to the We will sites yet. Someone told me the WeWill NIL started is just for BB and FB. Is that true? I'm fine with that but JP probably won't be (not that he is involved with NIL Fundraising- I don't think). Would assume other people can or will step up to devise their own for other sports, if they choose. For example, someone posted info on here that KU Football had a fund just for football, correct?
Not sure on the specifics yet either. My initial reaction is 'good' in that the We Will Collective is going to be charity based, and will be for help/giving back to the community with the donations to it, and the 'student-athletes' being involved and assited. It won't be 'paying players to play'.

I did a quick look at CF sites and a discrete We Will Collective sticky page has not been posted yet. However the podcast here by CW
...discusses the collective in pretty good initial detail. Take a listen.

The Collective has started (today I think) and its website is here

Clonepackof1

Jan 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids
Unfortunately for the universities though is the fact they're not making millions in profit from football and men's basketball.

In fact most athletic departments, even at big time programs are operating in the red annually. Yes they take in millions but that money funds a sh*t ton of expenses with those two sports and the rest of the athletic department.

And now they have to scramble to come up with hundreds of thousands more for NIL deals/buying players.
This is a good, and valid, point. What I didn't articulate well was that the NCAA could have been proactive in the sharing of resources better than they were doing and either didn't, or failed to act in a timely fashion. Now, it would surprise me if the NCAA is even an entity within a decade and something more appropriate is running the show given how much the landscape has shifted.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
This is a good, and valid, point. What I didn't articulate well was that the NCAA could have been proactive in the sharing of resources better than they were doing and either didn't, or failed to act in a timely fashion. Now, it would surprise me if the NCAA is even an entity within a decade and something more appropriate is running the show given how much the landscape has shifted.
I totally agree with you here...

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
I wonder how many spots are available on teams with "serious" NIL money. Is there one of these spots available for the top 25 players in the portal or new recruits? If not, once the serious NIL spots are full are we going to see players scrambling to find the best situation without NIL?

It seems to me if there was an abundance of these serious NIL positions available players would be finding new teams quicker. Either the players are all holding out for a better offer or the teams are holding out for the best team.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I wonder how many spots are available on teams with "serious" NIL money. Is there one of these spots available for the top 25 players in the portal or new recruits? If not, once the serious NIL spots are full are we going to see players scrambling to find the best situation without NIL?

It seems to me if there was an abundance of these serious NIL positions available players would be finding new teams quicker. Either the players are all holding out for a better offer or the teams are holding out for the best team.
It does seem like some big names have been in portal a long time. Bromme, Shannon, KJWilliams, etc. I suppose visits could be hard to schedule (if they're actually going to classes?) or are they waiting for draft entries or better NILs?

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
It does seem like some big names have been in portal a long time. Bromme, Shannon, KJWilliams, etc. I suppose visits could be hard to schedule (if they're actually going to classes?) or are they waiting for draft entries or better NILs?
I would have thought the players seeking money would jump quickly if they received a NIL offer and if there was lots of NIL offers the players would not be available long. I get the sense the schools with serious NIL money are waiting to see who is available and then grab the best ones.