Spring Weather 2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Scary how dry it is in NC Iowa. Streams and rivers are already low, amazing how much dust spring fieldwork is kicking up. Nothing in the 10 day forecast either.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It was a very quick and short lived spin up. I have a friend who lives a mile or two NW of this location and he said they never even had wind. This is the kind that is maybe 5-10 feet wide and on the ground for a block if that. I wasn't watching velocity last night but I wouldn't be surprised it was so short lived to be between scans and hardly if ever seen on radar.

quarter mile to the south or west and it is in a field and we never hear about it.

You mean a dust devil? I've never heard of a 5-10 ft wide tornado. Now I'm going to have to Google narrowest tornado ever, lol.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
You mean a dust devil? I've never heard of a 5-10 ft wide tornado. Now I'm going to have to Google narrowest tornado ever, lol.

I suppose the smallest of all tornadoes could be 5-10 ft. I found the NWS described the smallest tornadoes at 10 yards wide and the average tornado width is 50 yards wide, which seems more reasonable.

Sorry, @wxman1 , not trying to call you out but I realized I'd never really thought much about the smallest tornado.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I suppose the smallest of all tornadoes could be 5-10 ft. I found the NWS described the smallest tornadoes at 10 yards wide and the average tornado width is 50 yards wide, which seems more reasonable.

Sorry, @wxman1 , not trying to call you out but I realized I'd never really thought much about the smallest tornado.

It's all good obviously I exaggerated.

Reactions: cstrunk

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Looking out our front window and see the huge broken branch in a tree across the street. Definitely it was broken due to the derecho last August.

Since storm season is upon us, was wondering if this would happen to fall on someone else’s property who’s responsible for it cleanup or insurance if damage occurs? Still seeing quite a few of these in the Ames area and I would bet in a lot of other communities that was in the path of the derecho.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If you want geeky weather and this week NWS IT talk with an ISU guy check out this weeks WeatherBrains.