Spring Weather 2021

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Meh, meteorological spring is so iffy. So I bring your our Minnesota snow plow naming winners. Names soon to adorn eight Minnesota plows!

EvgKeMJXMAMM65a
wonder if those are the actual trucks with the the names or just stock photos they got somewhere, I see a few older Ford L Series trucks there..

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Did the annual spring dog poop pickup yesterday. Filled up 2 five gallon buckets. Blech!
don't remind me.... 2 Aussies over the course of the winter out there with zero pick up after November.... and we still have some deeper snow in back since it is blocked by the house.

• Wow
Reactions: NorthCyd

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Did the annual spring dog poop pickup yesterday. Filled up 2 five gallon buckets. Blech!

Did the same thing yesterday. Two dogs X two sh!ts/day X three months of not being able to get out there = at least 2 five gallon buckets (I'm not quite done - ran out of buckets). The dogs were really starting to tip toe through the yard.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Is this just false Spring and we're soon to get smacked up to the side of the head with more winter? Weather gurus got any insight on the long range models?

I moved my snowblower back to the shed but DID NOT switch sides with the mower. Not feeling that optimistic.

This morning Weatherstreet was forecasting about 15-20" of snow next Sunday for much of Iowa. We'll see if that holds the line with tonights models or get flushed like %99 of their one week out forecasts.

Reactions: AirWalke

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Did the same thing yesterday. Two dogs X two sh!ts/day X three months of not being able to get out there = at least 2 five gallon buckets (I'm not quite done - ran out of buckets). The dogs were really starting to tip toe through the yard.
I'm lucky that I live next to a field so fill the scoop a short walk and a fling.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Stock pics, just picked the names and they will get painted on them later.
damn I was a little impressed if they were able to keep those going for that long, but figured they were probably on a 10 year cycle for trucks like that at worst.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I may put fertilizer down tomorrow before the rain on Wednesday. Going to put Milorganite down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
damn I was a little impressed if they were able to keep those going for that long, but figured they were probably on a 10 year cycle for trucks like that at worst.

The Grummans you see for the Post Office haven't been manufactured since 1994. I know my mail carriers ride is late 1980's vintage!

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
The Grummans you see for the Post Office haven't been manufactured since 1994. I know my mail carriers ride is late 1980's vintage!
oh I know, I'm waiting for spec carrier racing to start soon after the replacements start showing up.. :D but that is also federal level vs state level, and plow trucks see a lot more abuse then the mail trucks do just by nature and other uses.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
oh I know, I'm waiting for spec carrier racing to start soon after the replacements start showing up.. :D but that is also federal level vs state level, and plow trucks see a lot more abuse then the mail trucks do just by nature and other uses.

Post Office will likely hang on to them longer than you think. Plenty of rural routes that arent currently driving personal vehicles that could be switched to government and I suspect others will canabalized to keep the current remaining fleet running.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Bought a couple bags of Scott's Green Max 27-0-2 this morning. Going to run the mower over the back yard to see if I can suck up any more saw dust. Will apply and hopefully get a little rain on it on Wednesday.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I may put fertilizer down tomorrow before the rain on Wednesday. Going to put Milorganite down.

I'd recommend waiting on putting down fert unless your lawn is in brutal shape. Doing more weed feeding than grass feeding at this point. Which you will regret in May when your weeds are lush. I follow Milorganite's recommendation and don't apply any fert until middle of May.

I go HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY on fert in the fall. That helps your lawn a lot more than a spring fert. The reason being is we want roots to go DEEP in the spring to find nutrients. If they don't go deep now. You will be watering all summer to keep it green and weed free

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Highs are at least over 40 for the next 10 days, so if we get any overnight snow it shouldn't last long.

I am seriously considering putting the snow blower away this weekend. The chances of having enough snow that will necessitate it said snow sticking around is getting pretty low.

Reactions: aauummm