Spring training/favorite team

Who is your favorite MLB team?

• Total voters

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
CUBS-Completely useless by September. JK. I think Matt Clement could turn out pretty well. Remember when everyone was saying he had the stuff to win the Cy Young after he signed with the Red Sox. I really hope he can suprise me this year.

dornstar44

Apr 10, 2006
Wichita, KS
Aaaack! I accidentally hit the White Sox instead of my beloved Cubbies! Is there any way to undo my one vote that has been cast for the south siders? If not, I think I'm gonna have to go take a shower after work.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I kind of feel the same. However, I think (hope) Clement will do good things. I think since he's younger he's got a great chance of getting back to his old form.

I don't know what the deal with Mulder is. The guy was a stud and now it's like he's forgotten who he was. I know he's been hurt, but his case seems like a big mental thing too. What I don't understand is how guys like him go through extensive rehab and then come back only to realize they're still injured. Are these guys just pushing themselves to get back too quickly?

Mulder has kind of had the same problems as Rolen with regards to his health. Tried to come back too quickly and ended up aggravating the injury, prompting further surgery and setback. At first, I was shocked that it kept happening, but when Mulder tried to come back and pitch last summer I expected very little. Of course he pitched like twice and then got shut down again.

The thing that irks me about Mulder is that Billy Beane from the A's shanghai'd us on that one. We gave up 3 good players (including Dan Haren) for a pitcher who won 21 games at one point (I think 2003) but went into serious decline before the end of '04. He did give us 15 wins in 2005, but couldn't anyone in the Cards organization have seen that Mulder was waiting to implode? I guess since he repeatedly told the training staff that nothing was wrong with him when he struggled early in 2006 that they believed him. But I still vividly remember the game against the White Sox when he was exposed badly. They could not stop launching home runs off of his dead meat 83 mph fastball. 20-6. Ugh.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I have a feeling that was one reason that Jocketty was gone this season. He really got beat badly in some trades.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Aaaack! I accidentally hit the White Sox instead of my beloved Cubbies! Is there any way to undo my one vote that has been cast for the south siders? If not, I think I'm gonna have to go take a shower after work.

Nope - I think you're cheering for the White Sox this year :wink:

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
go hotlanta!!!!!!

sp~john smoltz
sp~tim hudson
sp~tom glavine
sp~mike hampton (fingers crossed)/ chuck james
sp~ chuck james/ jair jurrgens
setup~peter moylan/mike gonzalez
closer~rafael soriano

ss~ yunel escobar
cf~mark kotsay
3b~chipper jones
1b~mark texiera
c~brian mccann
rf~jeff francoeur
2b~kelly johnson
lf~matt diaz

i c the makings of another beast in the east!!!! back to being great in 08!!

i love the bravos chances...hopefully we can get another ws title this year!!! about a month away for pitchers and catchers! cant wait!!!!!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I've added your vote to the total for the good guys.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Jocketty was gone b/c he wasn't on board with a franchise that relied on player development rather than improvements through trades and/or free agency. The new version of the Cards is a little more thrifty. That's not good for that franchise.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Jocketty was gone b/c he wasn't on board with a franchise that relied on player development rather than improvements through trades and/or free agency. The new version of the Cards is a little more thrifty. That's not good for that franchise.

They have to be more thrifty at the moment. There was too much money tied up in big contracts to guys who are old, hurt, unproductive, or a combination thereof. Cards need to start rebuilding from within instead of getting burned on one-sided trades and signing over-the-edge veterans (e.g., Kip Wells) to insane contracts. Who gives $10 million to Adam Kennedy anyway?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Jocketty had job security because of two deals: The one for McGwire and the one for Edmonds. Sports stations always revered him, but all they would really talk about is those two trades. Don't get me wrong, those were awesome for the Cards and I think Adam Kennedy is the only guy I can name from those trades that has done much. However, sports is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Signing the likes of Kip Wells, Adam Kennedy, Juan Encarnacion (he's borderline ok) and a whole host of over-aged, past-their-prime players will get you the door.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron