Speed camera

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What does 2 even mean here?

Broadly, people tend to drive at speeds dictated by the design of the road, by what is 'comfortable', regardless of the speed limit. A speed camera doesn't improve much in that regard.

For example, straight roads with more lanes, wider lanes, etc will generally result in higher speeds. If one truly needs slower traffic speeds for safety in an area, the road can be designed with that in mind, reducing\narrowing lanes, introducing curves, etc (all variable depending on the area). A lot of these measures work well in combination in areas that are seeking to make things more pedestrian friendly.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
not an Iowa resident.

I didn't read the rest of this thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

My son and I got popped in Prairie City last summer on our way to grab some poffertjes in Pella. After an exhaustive amount of research, I discovered that as non-resident that there was no penalty for not paying the ticket. Zero. The worst thing they can do to an Iowa resident is withhold their state tax return.

As a non-resident, I decided not to pay the ticket and my wife freaks. I go on a rant about how they can get the money from my cold dead hand and put my foot down that I won't pay it. My wife plays it off like she is cool with this. She tells me later on that she paid it behind my back. I'm devastated, but the poffertjes were delicious.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Good god, not another one of these threads. It's not like these things have a hair trigger and are catching people for doing two over.
There's a few problems. They feed private pockets opposed to wholly going back to municipalities. They take away the right to face your accuser. They take away common sense. I usually drive 78 in 70s but will step on it to get around a semi or make it so someone coming up on me doesn't have to slow down while I'm passing someone else.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
There's a few problems. They feed private pockets opposed to wholly going back to municipalities. They take away the right to face your accuser. They take away common sense. I usually drive 78 in 70s but will step on it to get around a semi or make it so someone coming up on me doesn't have to slow down while I'm passing someone else.
Parking tickets feed private pockets too. Many municipalities use third party companies to enforce parking laws. Speed cameras are really the same thing as parking tickets.

Not cave this… but it is under the guise of small govt. Look we didn’t hire more people!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Most municipalities and Police Departments deal with a 3rd party that installs and maintains the equipment and then typically handles billing and collections in exchange for a %. I'm pretty sure I read (about 5 years ago) that the City of Cedar Rapids uses a company out of Arizona that gets 25% of revenue. The City of CR still raked in between $7M-$8M. Not to bad considereing all they need is a mailbox to pick up the checks.
can I adopt a highway, pimp out the speed monitoring, and rake fat stacks?

Did I just retire?!?!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Most municipalities and Police Departments deal with a 3rd party that installs and maintains the equipment and then typically handles billing and collections in exchange for a %. I'm pretty sure I read (about 5 years ago) that the City of Cedar Rapids uses a company out of Arizona that gets 25% of revenue. The City of CR still raked in between $7M-$8M. Not to bad considereing all they need is a mailbox to pick up the checks.
Cedar Rapids contracts with a company called Sensys Gatso. That company takes $17 for each speed camera violation and $22 for each red-light camera ticket. (The newspaper story says each “paid” violation, so I don’t think any money goes to them if you don’t pay the fine.) The cameras don’t issue speed violations unless you’re going 12 mph over (67 in a 55).

The Marion city council voted in May to put in speed cameras and also contract with Gatso … but they’re going to start issuing tickets for 5 mph over, and they’re sending $35 from each ticket to Gatso. Thirty-five dollars out of a $50 speeding ticket (if you’re going 5-10 mph over)!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I think, just like 4 lane 30 through Toledo …… at 50fucking5.
At least they don’t do that any more, but yeah - that was ridiculous, having the nice full four-lane all finished with a 55 mph speed limit. And then having local cops sit on the overpass to nab people coming off the two-lane who saw the freeway and naturally started speeding up.

Reactions: keepngoal

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Parking tickets feed private pockets too. Many municipalities use third party companies to enforce parking laws. Speed cameras are really the same thing as parking tickets.

Not cave this… but it is under the guise of small govt. Look we didn’t hire more people!
Similar but with parking tickets, 3rd party or not, you have a person (accuser) issuing it. I think these laws should and will change with advancing technology but they haven't yet. The private pockets piece is my biggest beef though, so same page.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Similar but with parking tickets, 3rd party or not, you have a person (accuser) issuing it. I think these laws should and will change with advancing technology but they haven't yet. The private pockets piece is my biggest beef though, so same page.
someone reviews the video and decides to issue a ticket. why is the personal touch of a violation that important?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Most cameras don't ticket unless you are going 11+ over and are marked by clear signage stating the area is photo enforced, but we are going pretend the camera is the object that doesn't have common sense?

I understand the bone people pick with them just being money grabs and can't argue that, but good lord, just don't ******* speed excessively and it won't ever be an issue.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The bigger problem is that they don't actually solve many issues.

Many times with speed cameras you have one of two issues:

1- the speed limit is arbitrarily set too low (to generate revenue)
2- if the speed limit needs to be lower, the road needs a design that is in line with that speed.

Putting in a speed camera gives a financial incentive that encourages item 1, and discourages fixing item 2.
That's pretty bold. The only options are ways that would allow you to drive faster? No chance it was just a rule you broke and got caught?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The person they're paying $12 an hour to write parking tickets makes it more legitimate?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's pretty bold. The only options are ways that would allow you to drive faster? No chance it was just a rule you broke and got caught?

Where did I say that?

Ultimately, the point of speed limits is supposed to be to get drivers to drive slower in areas where higher speed may be unsafe.

Cameras don't really do that very well. By the time people are 'caught' by them they're weeks past it even happening. Cops are at least marginally better at this because they don't just slow down the person they pull over, they cause other drivers who see them to slow down (its also why public announcements of traffic enforcement efforts are helpful even if it means they arent surprising anyone). But ultimately the best way to get people to drive the speed you want is to change the conditions of the road.

Unfortunately the limits aren't always set with safety being the only goal. Sometimes the speed limit is just arbitrarily set by politicians without regard to the actual ability of the roadway to handle higher speeds safely. Sometimes the speed limit is set purely with the goal of generating revenue.

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLONE STATE

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I didn't read the rest of this thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

My son and I got popped in Prairie City last summer on our way to grab some poffertjes in Pella. After an exhaustive amount of research, I discovered that as non-resident that there was no penalty for not paying the ticket. Zero. The worst thing they can do to an Iowa resident is withhold their state tax return.

As a non-resident, I decided not to pay the ticket and my wife freaks. I go on a rant about how they can get the money from my cold dead hand and put my foot down that I won't pay it. My wife plays it off like she is cool with this. She tells me later on that she paid it behind my back. I'm devastated, but the poffertjes were delicious.
I greatly appreciate the feedback, and hysterical ending, sort of.

Reactions: Candide

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
The picture on the ticket I received last summer...

5aDOhtp.jpg

My actual license number...

LLVkzoq.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Doesn't matter for the purposes of speed cameras. This is also why they don't count against your driving record. Instead of it being a traffic infraction (where it would have to be shown you're the driver) it is simply a civil violation against your vehicle, (kind of like a parking ticket), holding the owner responsible for the vehicle going that speed through that area.
Otherwise it would violate the constitutional right to face your accuser

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm