Sources: Shaka Smart’s Departure Likely

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Shaka ran a gimmick at VCU and it worked, because other mid-major teams didn't have the talent to withstand a handsy full-court press. Comes to TX without those type of scrappy guys, plays against B12 talent, and it doesn't work. So he resorts to changing his style, which also doesn't work.

I get it. Everyone's looking for next young phenom but instead of looking at a flash-in-the-pan success, look at what the coach has done to recruit and to develop talent.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I have a hard time believing he will be gone. Doesn't have a huge buyout? And despite their horrendous record they might get in the tournament.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
After reading their message board it looks like nobody wants him there anymore. Also, based on the speech and press conference it appears Sean Miller knows his time is coming to an end soon even with a top recruiting class coming in. What a cheater that guy is lol

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Shaka ran a gimmick at VCU and it worked, because other mid-major teams didn't have the talent to withstand a handsy full-court press. Comes to TX without those type of scrappy guys, plays against B12 talent, and it doesn't work. So he resorts to changing his style, which also doesn't work.

I get it. Everyone's looking for next young phenom but instead of looking at a flash-in-the-pan success, look at what the coach has done to recruit and to develop talent.

Shaka's style of play could absolutely be successful in a P5 conference but you have to recruit the right guys. Good luck getting blue chip recruits to buy into that style of play. Shaka was doomed from the get go and Texas was never going to be the right job for him. I don't know what it is with that athletic department but those Texas kids just seem to have a sense of entitlement and that attitude shows up in games.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Coming of Knight's tree, I don't believe Beard cheats.

Which is why I wonder how well Beard would work there. Beard has thrived off of identifying and developing guys that are a bit under the radar. Smith and Culver weren't big names. I wonder how patient Texas fans would be with not reeling in top 10 recruiting classes...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Shaka's style of play could absolutely be successful in a P5 conference but you have to recruit the right guys. Good luck getting blue chip recruits to buy into that style of play. Shaka was doomed from the get go and Texas was never going to be the right job for him. I don't know what it is with that athletic department but those Texas kids just seem to have a sense of entitlement and that attitude shows up in games.

Yeah, a guy who made his name rallying junkyard dog/"they say you're not good enough" type guys wasn't a real great choice for prima donna central.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Which is why I wonder how well Beard would work there. Beard has thrived off of identifying and developing guys that are a bit under the radar. Smith and Culver weren't big names. I wonder how patient Texas fans would be with not reeling in top 10 recruiting classes...

Although I agree with BillBrasky4Cy's take above about Shaka's style limiting his performance at Texas, I'm not at all sure that applies to every coach. Coach K wins with nothing but blue chips. Knight himself recruited and won with talented kids at IU. In Shaka's case, he hasn't been able to adjust to his talent and thus has been an abject failure by Texas standards. Beard would win there just as Herman has in football, at least in my opinion today. I will say, Beard is very early in his career at this level.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Halincandenza

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Shaka was a pretty major hire and its been somewhat surprising its gone sideways like this.
Really hasn't surprised me at all. He was what I've come to refer to as "the shiny new toy." A young energetic coach who catches lightning in a bottle, makes a run in the tournament and becomes the new darling of the sports media. Sometimes they work out. More often they don't. There will be a new one this year, I'm sure.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Really hasn't surprised me at all. He was what I've come to refer to as "the shiny new toy." A young energetic coach who catches lightning in a bottle, makes a run in the tournament and becomes the new darling of the sports media. Sometimes they work out. More often they don't. There will be a new one this year, I'm sure.

Shaka wasn't exactly a year phenomenon though. I do think that he can be a P5 coach but Texas was a really bad match for him.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm reminded of Dunk City Florida Gulf Coast with Andy Enfield. Guy led a true cinderella story to the Sweet 16, became a media darling, and immediately bailed for the greener pastures of USC. Pretty mixed bag of results so far, but mostly underachieving at a school similar to Texas (football-centric, loaded $$$).

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I'm reminded of Dunk City Florida Gulf Coast with Andy Enfield. Guy led a true cinderella story to the Sweet 16, became a media darling, and immediately bailed for the greener pastures of USC. Pretty mixed bag of results so far, but mostly underachieving at a school similar to Texas (football-centric, loaded $$$).

Shaka stuck around VCU for a few years after, though. To his credit, he waited for the right job/paycheck, though some of the shine was starting to wear off. Enfield, also to his credit, took the money while the getting was good.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Austin>Lubbock. Been to Lubbock many times on business you can go from downtown to the middle of the sticks in 10 minutes. If Beard were offered, he'd be an idiot for not taking it.
Agree 100%. Tech's campus, while sprawling a bit more than is ideal, is actually quite nice. I haven't found much redeeming value in the rest of Lubbock, however.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Shaka stuck around VCU for a few years after, though. To his credit, he waited for the right job/paycheck, though some of the shine was starting to wear off. Enfield, also to his credit, took the money while the getting was good.

He has done a terrible job at USC as well, with a bunch of talented players too. The Pac 12 has been garbage last several years and nobody seems to want to win there so a good coach should be able to go in there at tear it up you would think.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

He had more than one good year at VCU. He wasn’t quite a flash in the pan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron