Soriano

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
After watching Soriano last year, in person this spring, and on TV for the 1st two games this year, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Jim Hendry has stuck the Cubs with one of the worst contracts in baseball. He's 32 years old, has 7 years left on his no-trade clause contract, and really doesn't have a position on a NL team because his defense is so bad. He'll produce offensively for a few more years, if he stays healthy which is questionable, but the last half of his contract could be very ugly. Once his power is gone, he'll really have nothing left to contribute since his speed will have left him and he's always had a relatively poor OBP.

As a Cubs fan I hope I'm wrong, but Hendry may have left the new Cubs owner a big fat albatross.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It's game two, but he's not talking about just this year. He's talking about what most baseball fans were saying after the Cubs gave him that long of a deal.

Look at the bright side. At least they didn't sign Barry Zito.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Now now. It's game 2 of a long season. He was Mr. September last year.

And then didn't show up for the first round of the playoffs. 2-14. :no: It's not this season I'm worried about so much. It's the 2011-2014 seasons when he's still on the payroll. :wideeyed:

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
After watching Soriano last year, in person this spring, and on TV for the 1st two games this year, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Jim Hendry has stuck the Cubs with one of the worst contracts in baseball. He's 32 years old, has 7 years left on his no-trade clause contract, and really doesn't have a position on a NL team because his defense is so bad. He'll produce offensively for a few more years, if he stays healthy which is questionable, but the last half of his contract could be very ugly. Once his power is gone, he'll really have nothing left to contribute since his speed will have left him and he's always had a relatively poor OBP.

As a Cubs fan I hope I'm wrong, but Hendry may have left the new Cubs owner a big fat albatross.

I'm pretty sure our own organization has had worse contracts than this one. How about those awesome contracts we had going for Wood and Prior?

Soriano got the money he deserved. The length of the contract is probably too long, but there's no way it is "one of the worst contracts in baseball." Soriano went 40/40, and on one of the worst teams in the Major Leagues, got almost 100RBIs as a leadoff hitter.

The bottom line is that Soriano will help the Cubs be a better team for the next 3-4 years, and while he'll be ballooning the payroll later, that's what it took to get him now. You want to win now? You pay for it later.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you really think the guy who led the league in outfield assists "has no place on an NL team?" You've got to be kidding.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
And then didn't show up for the first round of the playoffs. 2-14. :no: It's not this season I'm worried about so much. It's the 2011-2014 seasons when he's still on the payroll. :wideeyed:

They'll trade him before then if he gets that bad. I still think it's a better contract then they had with Sammy Sosa at the end.

Most players seem to play well into their late 30's. After 38 it get's more dicey, but his contract will be about up then.

Fatsow

Nov 22, 2006
The worst contract in baseball is easily Barry Zito in San Fransisco.

Worst contract would have to either go to Barry or his former teammate Eric Chavez. The guy they gave the $ to instead of Giambi or Tejada??

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
And if they trade him because he gets bad, they'll have to eat the majority of the contract.

True, but at this point the Cubs have a lot of money. They always have some of the largest crowds in the major leagues and they certainly don't have a new stadium to pay for.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I'm pretty sure our own organization has had worse contracts than this one. How about those awesome contracts we had going for Wood and Prior?

Soriano got the money he deserved. The length of the contract is probably too long, but there's no way it is "one of the worst contracts in baseball." Soriano went 40/40, and on one of the worst teams in the Major Leagues, got almost 100RBIs as a leadoff hitter.

The bottom line is that Soriano will help the Cubs be a better team for the next 3-4 years, and while he'll be ballooning the payroll later, that's what it took to get him now. You want to win now? You pay for it later.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you really think the guy who led the league in outfield assists "has no place on an NL team?" You've got to be kidding.

Zito's contract is certainly worse, but let's get the facts straight. Kerry Wood signed one big contract for 2004-2006 and the rest of his career has been 1 year deals. Mark Prior signed a 5 year deal in 2002 for a total of $10M. I hardly think that was a bad deal, even for the time. He made $650,000 in 2003 leading the Cubs to the NLCS. A bargain in my book. Those contracts were nothing compared to 8 years and $136M for a 31 year old outfielder who had already peaked. Those Soriano numbers are history. Ya, he probably did lead the league in assists because he's throws out a lot of runners at 2nd and 3rd when he's misplayed the ball in LF. His .980 fielding percentage was even worse than Jacque Jones and only 4 hundredths better than Barry Bonds. The league leader had 10 errors; he had six. He's barely a credible defender now, and yes in a few years he won't have a position besides DH which isn't an option.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Is this the first "The sky is falling" thread for us Cub fans? It's probably time, since we're on pace for 0-162!!!!!! :yes:

The Cubs can still contend this year. It's down the road I'm worried about. They have Zambrano, Ramirez, Lee, Soriano and Fukudome all on the hook until at least 2010 and most longer. It might be interesting in a few years as this team ages. All these players are likely at or past their peak.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Soriano may not be the best outfielder in the league but they didn't pick him up for his defense. I fully expect him to have a great year at the plate.

As I have stated for a couple months now, the pitching staff is going to end up being the thing to worry about, bullpen included.

That all being said, there are 160 games left, no conclusions can be made at this point, only guesses.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Soriano has never been a good hitter when the weather is cold in the first few months of the season. As the weather heats up, so does his bat. Look for him to have another huge year at the plate, it just may take him a while to get going.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
No one has said that Soriano or the Cubs are not going to have a solid 2008.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Soriano may not be the best outfielder in the league but they didn't pick him up for his defense. I fully expect him to have a great year at the plate.

As I have stated for a couple months now, the pitching staff is going to end up being the thing to worry about, bullpen included.

That all being said, there are 160 games left, no conclusions can be made at this point, only guesses.

Yup, I'd agree with that. Going into the playoffs you need more than Z to win a series. Dempster, Hill, Lilly and Marquis aren't going to strike fear into too many people. The #2 starter needs to be stronger. I'm guessing the Cubs, Reds, Brewers and Cards will all be within striking distance with the leader only a few games above .500.