Someone please explain targeting...

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
That was ********. There was contact to the helmet, but it was a grazing and incidental by the shoulder and side of the tackler's helmet. And you can see in the view from behind the UCLA player that he actually braces and lowers his head a bit just before impact.

I hate Nebraska as much as anyone, but that kid should not have been ejected.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I have no explanation. Targeting is the biggest BS penalty there is. That tackle by the Nebraska guy was a text book tackle - hit chest to chest, wrapped up and took the guy down. I am also sick of "defenseless player" nonesense, you are on a football field if you are "defenseless" you should go play a non-contact sport.

FYI I am cheering for UCLA but the Nebraska guy got jobbed.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
That was the worst thing I have seen in a while. Definately not tagreting... idk, maybe the ref threw the flag because of the sound the hit made and thought it had to be something illegal in the hit to make it sound like that..... Or maybe it was because Gerry got thrown out the last game they played for targeting and the referee knew this and had some bias against him.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Same dude got jobbed in the game against Iowa, too.

That was a terrible call in tonight's game. He was tackling with his head up, and had turned his head away from the helmet to helmet contact. I'm not sure how you square up and tackle a guy much better than he did.

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
I'm just shocked they actually "confirmed" the call on the field. Terrible break for that kid. At least he's not a senior.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I agree. That was how you teach tackling. Kept his head up.

I saw him talking to the UCLA coach and I was wondering, could UCLA have declined the penalty if they also felt it was BS? With only seconds left in the half it's not like they were doing anything anyway.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have no explanation. Targeting is the biggest BS penalty there is. That tackle by the Nebraska guy was a text book tackle - hit chest to chest, wrapped up and took the guy down. I am also sick of "defenseless player" nonesense, you are on a football field if you are "defenseless" you should go play a non-contact sport.

Agreed- the only way you are defenseless is if you are out there without any pads or helmet

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

The idea behind the targeting penalty is fine. The execution needs a lot of work, though.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nebraska got screwed on that call, but won in spite of it. Embarrassing loss for UCLA and the Pacific 12. No fluke. Nebraska won that game fair and square.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
The targeting rule is so vague in its description, I'm not sure anyone can interpret it the same way. If the tackle by the Nebraska player wasn't a textbook tackle, then I don't know what one is.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
It should not be a penalty if the offensive player drops his head just before contact thus causing the helmet to helmet contact. Not sure why that isn't an element of the rule.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Here was the hit that got him ejected. Please tell me how they didn't overturn the call on the field after review.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nebraskatarget.0.gif
    nebraskatarget.0.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 156

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
That's a perfect tackle, sees his target, wraps up, and drives to the ground. Might as well start playing flag football if that's a targeting penalty.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Same dude got jobbed in the game against Iowa, too. That was a terrible call in tonight's game. He was tackling with his head up, and had turned his head away from the helmet to helmet contact. I'm not sure how you square up and tackle a guy much better than he did.
Think Gerry was that same dude.

Help Support Us

Become a patron