Somebody needs to break into Walmart and Steal the Damn Surveillance Footage

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've had the "alarm sound" go off after leaving Walmart a few times. I didn't want to make it obvious so I just went about my business and kept walking to my car. With receipt in the bag, I was good to go either way.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
How can Wal Mart keep their low low prices on the Chinese made goods if it keeps walking out the door without getting paid for?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
The self checkout and possibly forgetting to scan something is tricky. You have to show intent for it to hold up in court. If someone just puts something in their pocket/purse while standing at self checkout that’s going to show intent. If that person tried to scan the item, but it didn’t scan for whatever reason then that’s not enough evidence to charge someone with theft. That’s when you politely just ask the person to go back in pay for it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The self checkout and possibly forgetting to scan something is tricky. You have to show intent for it to hold up in court. If someone just puts something in their pocket/purse while standing at self checkout that’s going to show intent. If that person tried to scan the item, but it didn’t scan for whatever reason then that’s not enough evidence to charge someone with theft. That’s when you politely just ask the person to go back in pay for it.

Most self-checkout areas have at least one attendant. Is it really that hard to ask for assistance if something doesn't scan? Or go to customer service? It's not a valid excuse to just walk off with the item.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm curious about who else was implicated in this surveillance "fishing expedition." If it is just two high profile ISU athletes, then somebody should be implicated themselves.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It seems like they only charge young people and that makes some sense. Young people do not have the experience of life and are less likely to know what to do and what their rights might include.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's coming out of every WalMart shopper's pocket. Shrinkage (the industry term for all lost merchandise, whether stolen, lost, a paperwork mistake, or whatever) directly affects the prices that a store charges. Average shrinkage is 2%, which is ~2% higher prices passed along to shoppers.

I'm churchy that way... If I don't think something scanned I ask for help to make sure I'm paying what I owe. I've even left a store, checked my receipt then walked back in to pay them more.

I'm a lot of things - fat-ish, ugly, a little inappropriate, lazy - but I'm not a stealer. I understand others who rationalize it other ways, but that doesn't work for me.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
It seems like they only charge young people and that makes some sense. Young people do not have the experience of life and are less likely to know what to do and what their rights might include.
And theft charges pretty much screw any career they want. Decent jobs would rather you have prior drug charges over theft charges on your record any day.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Most self-checkout areas have at least one attendant. Is it really that hard to ask for assistance if something doesn't scan? Or go to customer service? It's not a valid excuse to just walk off with the item.

I think the issue here is that they have to prove that you knew it didn't scan and you bagged it anyways. I guess with those self checkers close together you may hear a beep from someone next to you and think yours scanned.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
You have a "right" to shoplift?
I think it was more about the right to due process, or innocent until proven guilty. Thus the evil Wal-Mart will intentionally oppress innocent young people by illegally preying upon their inability to afford an attorney and their criminal justice system naivete.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
And theft charges pretty much screw any career they want. Decent jobs would rather you have prior drug charges over theft charges on your record any day.

Agreed. We might all see this as a very minor thing and it likely was but it can have major effects on people's lives.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You have a "right" to shoplift?

No of course not.

Actually you do now in Dallas Tx as they've said they won't prosecute for less than $750. Of course this will encourage more thefts. I think that if they find these things they just need to reimburse the place for whatever you stole and interest.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron