Softball Coach - Gemeinhardt-Cesler

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The point of the comment was good softball can be played by northern schools. Is ISU in this class no, but to use weather as a recruiting excuse is a cop out.

No its not really an excuse. As diehard of a Cyclone fan as I am, if my daughter is that good to play at this level, I would sure have her look around at warmer better places to play than Ames.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Was this a reflection of a series of non-competitive years? Or the lack of promotion? It seems that a few promos with girls softball leagues could generate more than this.

When ISU has baseball, it didn't draw a crowd. Do you really think softball will draw better?

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Someone in here already nailed it. Our next hire MUST recruit in state. Iowa and Iowa State fail to do so and it costs us.

There is currently a player at Alabama from Iowa who will be playing all 4 years. I think she is a senior now.

Paige Lowry was a top lefty pitcher two years ago in Iowa high schools that went to Mizzou and has done a great job there.

Lindamann from Centennial is the best player in Iowa softball history and she's going to Minnesota.

The best shortstop in the state right now (from Johnston) will be heading to Missouri after next softball season
The best pitcher in the state is over at DMACC-Boone, now playing in Mississippi Natonal Jr College tourney. Was from Ballard, Huxley star Kensie Ihle, probably going to PURDUE. Her record this yr stands at 30-1 or better. Iowa and ISU never had a chance cause they are both bottom feeder Softball schools. I have been to many ISU softball games, including this yr's Iowa game, 5-0 win by ISU. Having half your team made up of 8 frosh players doesn't help, but it appears it is time for a change of coaches.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
Ihle going to Purdue that is a slap in the face to the state really. Any rumblings of names for the new coach? Sounds like Mizzu is having some personality issues with the new AD and the kids will follow the coach, are we savvy enough to steel him? He knows how to recruit Iowa and bring kids to play in the Midwest.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
I'm hearing rumors of an imminent softball coaching hire. Anybody hear anything else?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Would be a great hire.

He's had a couple of interviews. Heard he's been offered the Virginia job and also the associate head coach position at NC State. Someone from U Washington was suppose to interview yesterday.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's the co-head coach at South Dakota State.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
It has been reported that Jamie Traschal has been hired as the new head coach at ISU. Does Lake Bison come along in the deal?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It has been reported that Jamie Traschal has been hired as the new head coach at ISU. Does Lake Bison come along in the deal?

Ha, that's funny. Lakes does claim to have played baseball for NDSU even though there is no definitive evidence. He takes lots of crap for it.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Haven't been to Cyclones.com for awhile, which kinda explains why only now am I learning something about new hire, Jamie Traeschel (sp?). Listened to John Walters' interview with her. She appears to be an outstanding hire . . . not that I know much about softball.

I see we were 1-17 in Big 12 play the season just completed. That ain't good. Since I'm a subscriber to Cyclones.tv, I think I'll start taking a peek at some of our sports teams I've never seen in action before.

Isn't softball generally understood to be a common women's athletics endeavor at the college level? Wondering why the Big 12 only has seven teams - Kansas State, TCU, and West Virginia were not found in the 2016 league standings. . . .

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Haven't been to Cyclones.com for awhile, which kinda explains why only now am I learning something about new hire, Jamie Traeschel (sp?). Listened to John Walters' interview with her. She appears to be an outstanding hire . . . not that I know much about softball.

I see we were 1-17 in Big 12 play the season just completed. That ain't good. Since I'm a subscriber to Cyclones.tv, I think I'll start taking a peek at some of our sports teams I've never seen in action before.

Isn't softball generally understood to be a common women's athletics endeavor at the college level? Wondering why the Big 12 only has seven teams - Kansas State, TCU, and West Virginia were not found in the 2016 league standings. . . .

TCU fans would like to see softball back. WVU would make sense to get it back. There have been rumbling at K-State but no one really seems interested in it over there.

Trachsel puts up some interesting numbers but I'm not going to be ecstatic about the hire until year 2 or 3. Hard for me to believe that someone who was a co-head coach at a non-P5 school was the best we could get.

My guess is being a 30-something female helped in the hiring process with the belief that it will help with recruiting. I also think NDSU has a staff member that's considered one of the top pitching coaches in the nation...that would definitely help.

As long as she can get the top talent in Iowa, I'm happy. Zero reason whatsoever the top players are constantly either leaving state, or dominating JUCO/DII or DIII and then finding a home somewhere else.

Help Support Us

Become a patron