So who wins on the 12th?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
They are way better than Monroe. And we all know how ISU doesn't normally play well in season openers. I think we grind out a close one 34-28 because of all the experience and talent we have will ultimately prevail.
The issue I see with that “normally doesn’t play well in openers” is that the sample size is limited to when Matt Campbell is fighting to build a program.

With Brock Purdy and all of the returnees on defense, I’m not sure that’s true any longer.

And I’m pretty sure it won’t be in ‘21.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The issue I see with that “normally doesn’t play well in openers” is that the sample size is limited to when Matt Campbell is fighting to build a program.

With Brock Purdy and all of the returnees on defense, I’m not sure that’s true any longer.

And I’m pretty sure it won’t be in ‘21.
I dunno, man... the team almost always struggles in season openers. Take a look at last year. Triple overtime win over an FCS program. This has been happening long before Matt Campbell arrived. It's part of the "Cyclone curse." No matter who the coach is and how much talent the team has, it happens almost every year. As long as we win I don't really care by how much or how ugly of a game it is.

mark46

Apr 22, 2011
When is the last time ISU has won a season opener by a decent margin?
I’m leaning towards another “dogfight” type game where we look too conservative and or unprepared.
It’s just what we usually do....
Hope to get out with a win, but wouldn’t be shocked if we lose either.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
54 - 21 ISU.

Our oline man handles the defense and Hall has a field day on a weak defense. Their offense gives us a few tough drives in the first half and get one later in garbage time.

Reactions: Brandon

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I dunno, man... the team almost always struggles in season openers. Take a look at last year. Triple overtime win over an FCS program. This has been happening long before Matt Campbell arrived. It's part of the "Cyclone curse." No matter who the coach is and how much talent the team has, it happens almost every year. As long as we win I don't really care by how much or how ugly of a game it is.
That's because ISU always has a **** line. This is the year baby.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’m leaning towards another “dogfight” type game where we look too conservative and or unprepared.

2017, probably would have in 2018 as well

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
2017, probably would have in 2018 as well

so the only2 other times that we had Matt Campbell I guess? I’m going to continue to think last years opener was a fluke until proven differently. Betting on ISU to cover and the under. 35-17

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
so the only2 other times that we had Matt Campbell I guess? I’m going to continue to think last years opener was a fluke until proven differently. Betting on ISU to cover and the under. 35-17

Last year was a close one and lost Campbell's first opener. We would have rolled South Dakota State in 2018 and beat UNI pretty comfortably in 2017

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Last year, Louisiana Lafayette beat Louisiana Monroe 31-30 and Iowa State Beat Louisiana Monroe 72-20. Therefore Iowa State will beat Louisiana Lafayette 72-21.

It's just science.

Go Clones!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

2017? 42-24.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would never put money on ISU to cover that spread.

If anything, I'd put quite a bit on Louisiana, and make the game be a win win for me either way.

But as conservative as CMC is.... and there's no doubt he's conservative (some say as conservative as KF or more).... it would always be a very dangerous move to bet on his team to cover any double digit spread.

Jay Jordan has even said CMC is overly conservative. It has allowed us to stay close in games we would have been blown out in the past.... but it has also allowed teams like UNI that have no business playing us close to almost beat us too.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
ISU 34-24 UL. Defense is advantaged in the first half as UL gets on the board first before eventually ISU takes a three point advantage into half. They flip-flop in the third quarter before ISU squeeks in a turnover and a touchdown that gives ISU breathing room with five minutes to go.

Help Support Us

Become a patron