So long, Oddfellows

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I love the obligatory "hickory park sucks" posts that always show up in a restaurant thread. I'm sorry but you are straight up lying if you say it took an hour before you got your food. I've been to HP with a party of 30 and it never took longer than 20 minutes to get served. BBQ snobs are the worst.

I was just describing my experience, which I said multiple times was over 3 years ago. I don't hate on something unless I have experienced it first hand. I can understand that other people enjoy it and have good experiences there, but I think there are better restaurants in Ames, big friggin deal.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
it's overrated

I used to be a huge hickory park hater when I was in school and shortly after graduating, but now don't really have feelings either way, leaning towards positive. Hickory Park is what it is. Great BBQ? not a chance. Not amazing food in general. However it's a place to get pretty decent food, pretty quickly, and at a very reasonable price. Has some nice character in it, and is an Ames staple.

I think of it as more of a great place for people already connected to Iowa State. Would I take someone there who has never been to Ames and have it represent the town and university? No.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I have an issue with the people who seem to think those who enjoy HP love it because they believe the food is amazing. If you can't see that the place is popular because the atmosphere is great and the price is right, you're either willingly blind or just like to go against anything mainstream. As far as bad experiences, can't say I've had one in the 13 or so years I've been going there. Sure there are times where the wait to get in is long but that comes with the territory.

Rumblebelly316

Oct 6, 2011
> I have an issue with the people who seem to think those who enjoy HP love it because they believe the food is amazing.

Every place has that. I keep seeing Brick City love here... I have eaten there twice and don't see it at all. Burger was all right, heated up frozen fries. 2nd time got a fish sandwich... it was a friggin square patty (like you buy at fareway) with a slice of Kraft American Singles (or something exactly like that). I could have literally made that meal for $1 in a microwave at home in a minute or two. At least barbeque takes me several hours and higher quality ingredients.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Mostly just dont care for mainstream. If your not careful, youll turn out ordinary :)

But if i'm going out to eat, i want good food. if im worried about money, i make a good quality meal at home. if i want to look at antiques, i go to an antique shop.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
> I have an issue with the people who seem to think those who enjoy HP love it because they believe the food is amazing.

Every place has that. I keep seeing Brick City love here... I have eaten there twice and don't see it at all. Burger was all right, heated up frozen fries. 2nd time got a fish sandwich... it was a friggin square patty (like you buy at fareway) with a slice of Kraft American Singles (or something exactly like that). I could have literally made that meal for $1 in a microwave at home in a minute or two. At least barbeque takes me several hours and higher quality ingredients.
food is frozen at every restaurant before being severed to you.... So there's no point in going out to eat when you can just make it yourself

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I've been to Oddfellows once. Food was good but nothing memorable. I agree with those that location was a factor. The Sommerset area of Ames dominates the restaurant in North Ames.

As for HP really the only annoyance is hearing the birthday song. In this age of sports bars and restaurants with HD TV's it's amazing how HP stays packed while not having those.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Oddfellows announced its closing Sunday on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OddfellowsAmes/?fref=ts We, too, really liked Pazzescos out west and were sad to see it close. Oddfellows started out great for us -- several staff and bartenders from Pazzescos there, but over time the prices were a little high for what we ordered.

We tried Brick City twice -- different times and day of the week -- and were thoroughly unimpressed. Haven't been back.

When we lived in Humboldt, the Sports Page in Fort Dodge became our Friday night place. Hoping the new Ames location offers the same welcome and food.

For us, a big part of how well we like a place is the friendliness of those who work there. Do they say hi, remember us, make us feel welcome? Of course, food selection, quality and price are factors. Making it all work is key to a long-lasting establishment anywhere, but especially here in the town of 1,000 eating places.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
All I know is, somebody needs to bring back Old Georges Pizza. I'd do just about anything for their sausage pizza again.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
I liked his Italian restaurant out in West Ames a lot. He would actually walk around to the tables and check on meals. Don't see that too often.
Is it the place by West Town Pub? If so, it was very good when I tried it.

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
I've never been to +39. I haven't been to the Cafe in years. El Azteca is usually always busy.

Save some $$. Find a girl. Take her to +39. The pizzas and single courses are reasonable. IIRC, you're not old enough to have not been anywhere in years. Ask your parents to take you again. El Azteca busy for good reason - decent food, quick service, economical.

food is frozen at every restaurant before being severed to you.... So there's no point in going out to eat when you can just make it yourself

Yeah, no. Many, perhaps. Every? Not even close.

Heard a great example from an economist talking about food choice. It's a triangle - Cheap, Fast, Good. You get two of those three. Using our examples in this thread - McDonalds - Cheap and Fast. The Cafe, Oddfellows, most restaurants - generally fast and good. Home - Cheap and good. Your choice.