So have you had a professor fail a whole class before?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is a problem I have with many of the engineering/CompSci courses. If the class average is 20-30% (which is an extreme example, but still), how are people showing mastery of the material? They may get the curve they want, but I'm not sure how many people are learning.

I've wondered that, too. You can always get the curve you want, but students are supposed to have a chance to master material.

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
trailer down by the river
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NiZxwdNvAI]Russ Ballard - Voices (stereo) - YouTube[/ame]

why do I have a feeling I m going to have to pick up snowcraig2.o's kids tommorrrow....this may not end well.... personally, give them the keys to a Cy-Ride bus.... but you didnt here it here....... which appparently is in the middle of nowhere...

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
.... professor Gurumurthy Rahmaswamy was the Iranian professor.... call me a racist ,bigot anything else and I will tell you that I fought next to a man named Jagannath = Lord of the world..... chew on that jibberish....and we are still both alive.... !!!!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
will tell of one hell of a story about this tommorrow.... 1983.... ****** had 75% class drop out at midterm.... ...only class I had to pass to graduate.....there was a small confrontation:wideeyed:

.... professor Gurumurthy Rahmaswamy was the Iranian professor.... call me a racist ,bigot anything else and I will tell you that I fought next to a man named Jagannath = Lord of the world..... chew on that jibberish....and we are still both alive.... !!!!

Getting an early jump on tailgating?

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
You know, I liked his class and learned a lot. He was a pretty good guy and I got a good grade.THATS GREAT ISTHERE ANY WOMEN THAT KNOW ABOUT LIKE PEOPLE'S EYES ARE ON FIRE ??????????

. oh boy......:spinny:I DONT KNOW WHO THIS CHICK IS.... BUT MY EYES ARE ON FIRE.....NOT KIDDIING......:eek:YOU SEEM COOL .... DIRECT PRESSURE???????????...IS THIS AN OPTION.????

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
any teachers you know give "resurrection points"? lets say on one test you get 1 40%...if you get ALL of those questions right on the final pertaining to that test you actually get a 100% for the test you got a 40% on..that's an example of resurrection points.

Wish alot more classes did this..if you show that you know the knowledge at the end of the course but at the beginning you didn't...why should you get credit for the test at the beginning??

engineers already probably know the class/es that i'm talking about that do this.

Last edited:

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
any teachers you know give "resurrection points"? lets say on one test you get 1 40%...if you get ALL of those questions right on the final pertaining to that test you actually get a 100% of the points for it..that's an example of resurrection points.

Wish alot more classes did this..if you show that you know the knowledge at the end of the course but at the beginning you didn't...why should you get credit for the test at the beginning??

engineers already probably know the class/es that i'm talking about that do this.

Diff Eq. I did awful on my first exam, about 40% when the rest of the class averaged 75. I was sure I was going to fail, at least do very poorly. About a week before the final, the teacher said that if we do better on our final then our worst exam she'll use our final exam grade for it. Exactly what I needed, I studied 24/7 for that final exam, aced it, aced the class.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
any teachers you know give "resurrection points"? lets say on one test you get 1 40%...if you get ALL of those questions right on the final pertaining to that test you actually get a 100% for the test you got a 40% on..that's an example of resurrection points.

yeah holme does that for chem 167

CampusAve

Jan 21, 2011
Hazzard County
In 2000 or 2001 I was in Calc 2. We had an 8 question multiple choice exam where the professor gave NO PARTIAL credit. The exam was derivations, which for the non mathers out there is a bunch of theoretical garbage, that is useless and difficult. Each problem takes about 10 minutes. Most, if not all professors give partial crediton these types of tests.
The class (250 students) average was 28/100. A bunch of people complained so the Math Dept overruled the professor and doubled everyone's scores.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Just happend to my lecture class. Seriously what a *****, she didn't specify anything about our assignment and now shes going off on us and failed all of us. Just wanted to know if anything like that has happend to you guys before?

I'm a college professor. Anyone worth their weight would realize the following in this case:
If everyone did that poorly on an assignment there are two possible reasons
a. the assignment was poorly designed or students were not clear about what they were to do.
b. I didn't do a good enough job teaching the material.

It's one thing if a few fail it as there are always some students who don't do the work. It's quite another when the entire class fails as that falls directly in the teacher's lap. The teachers should take the time to back up, determine what the problem was, re-teach if necessary (in a different way than the first time), and then move forward again. Of course, you'll hear the excuse "I don't have time to do that" and that is the most miserable excuse of all. My job as a prof is to make sure my students understand the concepts in the curriculum.

Feel free to share this with your prof...

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm a college professor. Anyone worth their weight would realize the following in this case:
If everyone did that poorly on an assignment there are two possible reasons
a. the assignment was poorly designed or students were not clear about what they were to do.
b. I didn't do a good enough job teaching the material.

It's one thing if a few fail it as there are always some students who don't do the work. It's quite another when the entire class fails as that falls directly in the teacher's lap. The teachers should take the time to back up, determine what the problem was, re-teach if necessary (in a different way than the first time), and then move forward again. Of course, you'll hear the excuse "I don't have time to do that" and that is the most miserable excuse of all. My job as a prof is to make sure my students understand the concepts in the curriculum.

Feel free to share this with your prof...

Ditto.

C

CyBer

She's letting us re-do the assignment luckily, but she should still re-evaluate if she is in the right field after blowing up on us like that.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You know, I liked his class and learned a lot. He was a pretty good guy and I got a good grade.

That said, he's pretty hit-or-miss as far as people's opinion of him. I definitely see where you're coming from.

I know there were people that really liked him, and I didn't hate him as a person, I just didn't think he should be teaching that particular class. I think my biggest problem with the class (other than it being an 8am class) was that he twisted it into the class that he wanted it to be, not necessarilly what the curriculum was meant to be. The guy would be brilliant teaching a class on magazine layouts or something like that, but he seemed to be very nitpicky about stuff that really didn't pertain to "technical writing". I talked to people that took sections that he didn't teach and their assignments were very different and a lot more in line with what you would have expected the class to be.

I also had a friend that randomly ended up in the same class as me. He made her cry when he graded one of her assignments, so that didn't win him any points with me either.