So have you had a professor fail a whole class before?

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
while on the topic of college professors my grandfather was a professor at Iowa State. For all you Ag majors do you remember or had a Dr. Kahler from the 80's and 90's? He passed when I was young and remember small amounts about him at ISU/ nothing about his teaching styles.

Dr. Kahler doesn't belong in this thread. He was very compassionate, and taught enough to draw his ag ed lessons from personal experience. He was a nice guy.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I completely forgot about my Differential Equations class. The guy who taught it was fresh off the boat from china and spoke horrible, horrible engrish. Why the **** ISU thought it was a good idea to let him teach undergrads, I will never know. He didn't even speak enough english to understand our questions, and had a hard time talking about the math he was supposed to be teaching. He ended up not following the book at all, opting instead to teach from his notes (written in chinese of course) because 'the material in the book isn't what they teach in china'.

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
I completely forgot about my Differential Equations class. The guy who taught it was fresh off the boat from china and spoke horrible, horrible engrish. Why the **** ISU thought it was a good idea to let him teach undergrads, I will never know. He didn't even speak enough english to understand our questions, and had a hard time talking about the math he was supposed to be teaching. He ended up not following the book at all, opting instead to teach from his notes (written in chinese of course) because 'the material in the book isn't what they teach in china'.

I see what you did there

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Classes I've taken that go by the "try as hard to make everyone fail as you can and then curve the class at the end but not anywhere near enough" strategy: Chem 201, Chem 211, Chem 324, Ochem 331&332, Calc 2&3, and then Physics 211&212, although it was curved appropriately, just had avgs around the 50s or low 60s.

It makes for a depressing academic experience.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Not the same level, but I had a technical writing professor dock me a full letter grade on a major assignment because, "I thought I made it clear that I wanted you to use photographs for your visual elements in this document." This ****** me off for the following reasons:

1)He had said in class that he thought photographs were an ideal visual, but did not state that we were required to use them.
2)It was not stated anywhere on the assignment rubric that photographs were required.
3)I had cleared my assignment topic with him ahead of time and it was clearly not a topic that leant itself to photographs. He did not express any concerns about this when we discussed the topic.

Guy was just a grade-A ****** all around. He spent at least three lectures ******** about not being interviewed for a job in the journalism department. He made you set up an appointment to go to his office and watch him grade your papers. He also, imo, graded assignments heavily on personal taste (both in presentation style and students in the class). 4 years later the thought of him still makes me angry.

Satterwhite?

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Classes I've taken that go by the "try as hard to make everyone fail as you can and then curve the class at the end but not anywhere near enough" strategy: Chem 201, Chem 211, Chem 324, Ochem 331&332, Calc 2&3, and then Physics 211&212, although it was curved appropriately, just had avgs around the 50s or low 60s.

It makes for a depressing academic experience.

One of those Physics classes everyone did horrible on the first exam and someone drew a picture of the two professors and hung it by the posted grades in the hallway. The drawings showed the two profs with cinder blocks chained around there necks at the bottom of lake lavern. The next lecture the profs had turned the drawing into an overhead and used as an intro to talk about the exam results.

For one of those Calc classes I had a guy that looked like an Amish elder. He was a good teacher but a horrible grader. Over half of the class audited but still came to class. I learned through calculus that a rising fastball does not actually rise at all. I believe that took about 50 feet of chalk board to prove.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I had a prof leave in the middle of the semester for research in Europe. He forgot to tell his Iranian T.A. that we were allowed to drop our lowest test score for the semester (most of us just skipped one test altogether). Apparently it didn't occur to her something was amiss when almost the entire class got D's and F's. It took until halfway through the next semester to get it fixed.

C

CyBer

If you were taking images off google and then citing the Google URL, it's not cheating but it's not cited correctly. It's really poor practice as well.

Oh believe me, I know. But when she fails the whole class I don't think it is the students problem (and yes we did cite properly).

Also I found out why she was so moody (no not that). Turns out they have a suggestion board in the COD on the 3rd floor for graphic design majors. Students have been writing "suggestions" on the board, and a lot of them have to deal with her class and why it sucks. I still don't think it's professional to blow up on our huge lecture class, but can understand why she was upset.

Turbo

Jan 10, 2011
Ames
I took econometrics in my last semester. There were two sections:One for real economics majors and one for the Ag Bus kids who needed the 300 level econ. I actually thought the class would be interesting but of course I got into the one for the Ag Bus kids because, well, it was my last semester and I liked to party. First class he says "If you're here to learn econometrics you will. If you're here to get your credits and get out of here, you will." Labs were on Fridays and were optional as you could do the work on your own as well. I don't think I went to 3 all semester and when I did make it, I felt like ****. At the end of the day I had a 33% and an A-. The only ones above me were the econ guys who didn't get into the other one because it filled up.

I have a feeling who this prof is

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Anyone have TAs/lab instructors who can't speak english? Lei Li lab instructor for bio 211 was impossible to understand. She probably doesn't teach anymore fortunately. I believe she was a grad student and I took that a couple years ago.

Ala Alshawa. Finance 350 instructor in the fall of '94. Couldn't understand that guy for ****. It got to where I'd show up for class every couple weeks just to make sure the exam dates hadn't changed from what was posted in the sylabus. The class wasn't exactly rocket science, but still, I was pretty proud that I self taught my way to a B+. It still pisses me off that I paid good money to watch that ******* butcher the english language.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Bad new folks. When you get out of college, lots of craptactular stuff happens to you whether you're completely at fault or not. 'Employment' means you're about to be engaged in a group project where there is always someone who isn't pulling their weight. You get yelled at and blamed tho you really didn't do anything wrong, often you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I kow many people that have lost their job because of other people - believe me - that's a lot worse that seeing your GPA dip for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

And, there's always going to be someone that makes money than you and/or has more authority even though their grasp of the English language is not as good as yours.

Buck up and be an adult. Do what you can to rectify the situation - and sometimes that means you can't do anything cuz that's life.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think CW should add a CF section of "good" and "bad teachers" and provide the list if one would take the time to visit all his advertisers. It is called win-win. I am sure it would be popular.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Bad new folks. When you get out of college, lots of craptactular stuff happens to you whether you're completely at fault or not. 'Employment' means you're about to be engaged in a group project where there is always someone who isn't pulling their weight. You get yelled at and blamed tho you really didn't do anything wrong, often you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I kow many people that have lost their job because of other people - believe me - that's a lot worse that seeing your GPA dip for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

And, there's always going to be someone that makes money than you and/or has more authority even though their grasp of the English language is not as good as yours.

Buck up and be an adult. Do what you can to rectify the situation - and sometimes that means you can't do anything cuz that's life.

How does that apply at all? Just that life is unfair? I guess that is a parallel.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Bad new folks. When you get out of college, lots of craptactular stuff happens to you whether you're completely at fault or not. 'Employment' means you're about to be engaged in a group project where there is always someone who isn't pulling their weight. You get yelled at and blamed tho you really didn't do anything wrong, often you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I kow many people that have lost their job because of other people - believe me - that's a lot worse that seeing your GPA dip for reasons that aren't entirely clear.And, there's always going to be someone that makes money than you and/or has more authority even though their grasp of the English language is not as good as yours. Buck up and be an adult. Do what you can to rectify the situation - and sometimes that means you can't do anything cuz that's life.

I am in the real world. Doesn't mean there aren't unreasonable, incompetent, or straight-up ******* professors that shouldn't have been or shouldn't be paid with our tuition money.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
An Sci 214 with good ole chicken George. A good third of the class failed. I knew people that took it 2-3 times (required for an sci majors). It was considered the weed-out class for wannabe vets. I somehow scraped my way up to a B, which ended up being my lowest grade of all college. One time a girl asked a random question in class that was way more complex than what we were covering and it ended up on the test. Hard to study for that.

Husband took Com Sci 227 with some lady prof who got sick multiple times and would just not show to class - including something like 10/15 class periods for one test - and then still covered all that material on the test. He ended up having to drop the class because he could tell he wasn't going to get a C or whatever he needed to pass and keep his overall GPA high enough for a scholarship he had. She ended up having to have some type of review with the Dean but I think was still teaching again the next semester.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Peter Reilly (Chem E). The man considered it a goal to have a class average of 35% on tests. He did curve appropriately, but he didn't do it until the end of the semester, so things looked bleak for a LONG time. Plus there was always that one kid that would get upper 80s or lower 90s on everything and bone everybody else.
Ugh Reilly. I think our first test a 31/100 was the top score, followed by some low 20s. I essentially got a C with my 11. I think 7 was the lowest before u got an F. Seriously, what the eff did we gain from that?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Here are a couple Sturgis stories. I wasn't there for either of them so take this with a grain of salt. He apparently got busted down to TA for semester a couple years back because he failed so many people in a lecture the semester before. I've also heard of people going to try and get a couple points back on an exam and after going through the question(s) you were there for he'd double back through the rest of the exam and you'd lose what you got back and them some.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ugh Reilly. I think our first test a 31/100 was the top score, followed by some low 20s. I essentially got a C with my 11. I think 7 was the lowest before u got an F. Seriously, what the eff did we gain from that?

This is a problem I have with many of the engineering/CompSci courses. If the class average is 20-30% (which is an extreme example, but still), how are people showing mastery of the material? They may get the curve they want, but I'm not sure how many people are learning.