Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Doing a couple pork butts tomorrow. Injecting and putting mustard and rub on tonight. What do people feel like are keys to their best pork butts? I’ve changed my method multiple times over the years. I may use my smoke tube tomorrow get a little more smoke flavor on them.

I’ve tried a bunch of different ways and now I always put them in a foil pan and cover at the stall. Personally, I think bark is overrated for pulled pork and would much rather have the captured drippings to mix with the meat when pulled. It gets incredibly tender and juicy. I always add more seasoning after it’s pulled too.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I've tried a few different mac and cheese recipes and it always seems to come out gritty/dry. Flavor is always good but the texture just isn't right.
I've got a recipe that I've used a lot, but I have similar results. The next time I make it, I'm going to get blocks of cheese to grate myself, instead of getting pre-shredded. The pre-shredded stuff doesn't melt as well because of the starch that gets added to keep it from melding together in the package.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Doing a couple pork butts tomorrow. Injecting and putting mustard and rub on tonight. What do people feel like are keys to their best pork butts? I’ve changed my method multiple times over the years. I may use my smoke tube tomorrow get a little more smoke flavor on them.
Personally, my pork butts went to another level when I switched from wrapping in foil to wrapping in butcher paper. It lets the meat breathe a little, which preserves the bark better than airtight foil. Some people say bark is overrated for pulled pork, but I disagree. The bits with bark are like little morsels of meat candy.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Personally, my pork butts went to another level when I switched from wrapping in foil to wrapping in butcher paper. It lets the meat breathe a little, which preserves the bark better than airtight foil. Some people say bark is overrated for pulled pork, but I disagree. The bits with bark are like little morsels of meat candy.

Maybe it’s because I’m not doing it right but to me it’s just morsels of tough spots in the midst of tender meat.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I did mine yesterday day with butcher paper at 160 then put it in foil pan after wrapped when I cranked up a bit in order to save some juice. I think this is the way to do it atleast for me. It turned out tremendous.

IMG_7050.jpeg

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I’m fed up with the price of brisket, and we had a couple of chuck roasts in the freezer so I tried smoking those in a similar fashion to brisket.

The big difference is when it got time to wrap, I placed them in a grill pan with some broth and wrapped the whole pan. In one of the pans we dumped pepperoncini and Italian seasoning in with the broth.

It turned out spectacular and a fraction of brisket’s cost.
Mississippi mud roast is flipping delicious!

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Look at post 3215. While I answered a question about freezing pulled pork, my pork butt process is there. So worth the effort.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
currently using a pit boss XL pellet grill to smoke brisket. Can’t for the life of me figure out how to keep correct temp. Trying to smoke at 225, only goes up to 200-205, but if I crank to 250 then it hangs at 240. Am I doing something wrong?

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
currently using a pit boss XL pellet grill to smoke brisket. Can’t for the life of me figure out how to keep correct temp. Trying to smoke at 225, only goes up to 200-205, but if I crank to 250 then it hangs at 240. Am I doing something wrong?
I'd start by checking the pellets. Vacuum out your firebox and try new ones. Sometimes when you have bad pellets the grill will try to compensate by adding more and more and more and eventually that big pile will create a huge grease fire. I've learned that the hard way a few times. Not something you want to do with a 80 dollar chunk of meat.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I'd start by checking the pellets. Vacuum out your firebox and try new ones. Sometimes when you have bad pellets the grill will try to compensate by adding more and more and more and eventually that big pile will create a huge grease fire. I've learned that the hard way a few times. Not something you want to do with a 80 dollar chunk of meat.
Agreed. This is the first time I’ve tried brisket and it was fine for the first few hours but having troubles with temp suddenly. I will try and quickly vacuum the box out when I take it off to wrap shortly. Thank you!

Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agreed. This is the first time I’ve tried brisket and it was fine for the first few hours but having troubles with temp suddenly. I will try and quickly vacuum the box out when I take it off to wrap shortly. Thank you!
If that doesn’t work, quickly put it in the oven and finish in there. Not optimal but will be good.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did some beef short ribs today. Started them 3/4 of the way frozen at 180. At the 3 hour mark put a pan of Au Jus mix with 3 cups of water turned up to 240. After another hour put the ribs into the Au jus pan and covered. Turned up the temp up to 270. Ribs were around 202 IT. Wasn’t quite ready to eat so just turned the temp down to 180 to keep warm. Very tender!!

IMG_4051.jpeg

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I do the snake method when I smoke a pork butt in my Weber. I put a cast iron pan in the middle as my water pan as it makes a great heat sync
I did the charcoal snake with a cheap grill and a pork sirloin roast today. It worked really well. It would have been "set it and forget it" but I kept checking on it all afternoon. Next time I will go ahead and take that nap.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've noticed a big difference in standard wings (Tyson, Sams, Costo) and the more premium (Just Bare type of brands) wings.
Just a lot better flavor after smoking them.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I've got a recipe that I've used a lot, but I have similar results. The next time I make it, I'm going to get blocks of cheese to grate myself, instead of getting pre-shredded. The pre-shredded stuff doesn't melt as well because of the starch that gets added to keep it from melding together in the package.

I make Mac and cheese pretty often for my daughter, and it sucks to admit but I use Velveeta to stabilize the cheese sauce so it’s not gritty. Also, alway shredded your own cheese when you want to melt it!

Reactions: NWICY

CHim

Apr 20, 2006
Did some beef short ribs today. Started them 3/4 of the way frozen at 180. At the 3 hour mark put a pan of Au Jus mix with 3 cups of water turned up to 240. After another hour put the ribs into the Au jus pan and covered. Turned up the temp up to 270. Ribs were around 202 IT. Wasn’t quite ready to eat so just turned the temp down to 180 to keep warm. Very tender!!

View attachment 129496
I just ran some beef ribs last weekend. They were part of a 1/4 beef so I don’t know the price but those were better than expected. I wouldn’t be scared to make those for people. I did them with Meat Church Holy Cow. Seems like that lead time seasoning has been a game changer lately. Also dropping brown sugar, butter and BBQ sauce in the crutch wrap is awesome.

Reactions: cycloner29

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron