Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just got two 15 lb briskets at Hy-Vee. They had a sale a few weeks ago for $2.98/lb. They were out, so I got a rain check. Had the guy at the meat counter reprice/relabel them and he gave me the rain check back!! Price was $5.00/lb.

Couple guys saw them in my cart and asked what time they should come over.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just got two 15 lb briskets at Hy-Vee. They had a sale a few weeks ago for $2.98/lb. They were out, so I got a rain check. Had the guy at the meat counter reprice/relabel them and he gave me the rain check back!! Price was $5.00/lb.

Nice.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I did these drumettes and yellow squash on my GMG Davy Crockett last Saturday for the game that shall not be mentioned. As with all smoking it seems it took a little longer than expected so I was just finishing them up for kickoff so I didn't have time to post. After the game I didn't feel like doing anything associated so I'll post now.

I marinated the drumettes overnight in italian dressing then Saturday morning I took them out of the marinade and dried them off and then did a semi-dry rub of Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Cooked almost 3 hours when I was expencting 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Difficult to get a temperature reading in the drumettes which were fall of the bone excellent. The yellow squash started out frozen and I drizzled olive oil and sea salt on them. You can see the smoke rings on the squash. Great flavor but a little mushy, may try fresh squash next time.

Edit: I also served a low carb version of Jack Stack beans with the drumettes and squash.
View attachment 90336

Those look solid. I did wings on Sunday, didn't marinate, just dried them, hit them with salt and lemon pepper, and put them on at 250 for 90 or so minutes, then tossed in some buffalo sauce and cranked the heat up for another 15-20 minutes. Turned out good, not great. The cook itself was a little over, wings were a bit on the small side so I should've adjusted. But they didn't take on as much of a smoke flavor as I'd hoped. I used apple wood. Not sure if others run into that since it's such a short smoke time overall or if there's a better wood to use. I'd read pecan or apple was best for wings, but this was my first time with those little guys.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Those look solid. I did wings on Sunday, didn't marinate, just dried them, hit them with salt and lemon pepper, and put them on at 250 for 90 or so minutes, then tossed in some buffalo sauce and cranked the heat up for another 15-20 minutes. Turned out good, not great. The cook itself was a little over, wings were a bit on the small side so I should've adjusted. But they didn't take on as much of a smoke flavor as I'd hoped. I used apple wood. Not sure if others run into that since it's such a short smoke time overall or if there's a better wood to use. I'd read pecan or apple was best for wings, but this was my first time with those little guys.

Now that you say this, I did use my pellet grill and start the smoke tube about halfway in to try and get more smoke flavor.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
For the summer I have been running a food stand and I have been getting my meat at Fareway doing online pickup. I typically get about 6-8 pork buttes each time. Well last week instead of giving me pork butte they accidentally gave me 12 racks of St. Louis cut ribs. So I called Fareway, they let me keep the ribs for the price of the buttes with a $5 voucher for the inconvenience. In a few weeks I am getting a new smoker, so the maiden smoking voyage is going to be some ribs. Can’t wait.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I did these drumettes and yellow squash on my GMG Davy Crockett last Saturday for the game that shall not be mentioned. As with all smoking it seems it took a little longer than expected so I was just finishing them up for kickoff so I didn't have time to post. After the game I didn't feel like doing anything associated so I'll post now.

Edit: I also served a low carb version of Jack Stack beans with the drumettes and squash.

LOL I took some extra time to smoke a delicious meal of smoked pork chops with sides for our 2nd game of the year...and know exactly the feeling above.

Please tell me more about your Jack Stack beans recipe!

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

$3/lb for brisket is highway robbery. NICE

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The BWW's Asian Zing sauce is money for smoked wings, it juts glazes on.

Reactions: Gonzo

kcbob79clone

Please tell me more about your Jack Stack beans recipe!
I found a recipe of someone who tried to duplicate the recipe and then made low sugar or sugar free substitutions to cut down on carbs.
1 (32-ounce) can pork and beans (used 3 11oz cans Campbell's PorkNBeans)
1 cup chopped brisket
1 cup BBQ sauce (recommended: Jack Stack Original - used Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory No Sugar Added)
4 heaping tablespoons brown sugar (used Swerve Brown Sugar substitute)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup ketchup (used no sugar added ketchup)
1/2 cup water (Sugar free of course)

For a first attempt we were pleased, as with everything better the next day but especially with sugar free substitutions. Here in Texas there's nothing like the sides at Jack Stack, the beans are pinto beans so we were looking for an alternative. We will do this again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron