Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Changed my members mark pellet smoker controller over to a traeger and dont have the temp swings and the auger makes less noise

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I thought this was going to be a thread about smoking cigarettes.
Old lady smoker 1 | Meme Generator

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't think a conversion would be overly complicated as you'd only need a heating element and a thermostat. But I think a major challenge would be generating enough heat inside a traditional grill with 110V. If you look at the electric grills made by companies like Weber, the lids are low profile to limit the heating space. Not aware of any grill/smoker combos.

As for electric smokers, the key is sidewall thickness/insulation. Higher quality ones will keep your humidity levels up and keep your meat from drying out. If you're on a budget, for the money the Masterbuilts are best. They're around $300. If you're willing to spend more, Cookshack has a great line of products that are in reality commercial smoker ovens shrank down to homeowner size. Smokin' Tex is a brand that is an offshoot (former employees I believe) that are similar but a bit cheaper as they're built overseas. Prices range from $600 to $2k. They are are heavy duty.

You can make an ECB work, (el Cheapo Brinkman) but they have no insulation and are about worthless in the wintertime...or spring or fall if they're out in the wind.

My dad has an electric Masterbuilt and it makes good food. The "smoke tray" aspect is almost worthless. Not quite as good as what comes off my WSM, but it isn't bad.

Reactions: usedcarguy

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Hey all. Tired of cleaning grease stains or build up from tongs or spatulas and flippers laid down when grilling? Use a cedar fence board. About $5, Cut and into the length you need. Use it all summer. It soaks up all the grease. Just toss it this fall or when it soaks through. Not real sanitary but real handy for heavy users.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hey all. Tired of cleaning grease stains or build up from tongs or spatulas and flippers? Use a cedar fence board. About $5, Cut and into the length you need. Use it all summer. It soaks up all the grease. Just toss it this fall or when it soaks through. Not real sanitary but real handy for heavy users.
Great idea. Could even use a "salmon plank."

Reactions: wintersmd

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Making burnt ends as far as I know is just cubing up the meat, rolling them around in some sauce and trying to carmelize the sauce on direct heat for a bit. I would think you can do that anytime you want, later.

Once I smoked a small chuck roast and cubed it up into 'burnt ends' and it was OUTSTANDING.
I want to try chuck roast this weekend, and tips or tricks?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
what internal temp did you cook that to?

225 for 4 hours, then put in pan added liquid, use beer, broth, water, etc. you can also add in some veggies, onions, peppers, carrots. Cover until you reach an IT temp of about 205-210. This takes another 2-3 hours. Some of the best pulled beef ever!!

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
225 for 4 hours, then put in pan added liquid, use beer, broth, water, etc. you can also add in some veggies, onions, peppers, carrots. Cover until you reach an IT temp of about 205-210. This takes another 2-3 hours. Some of the best pulled beef ever!!
what if I want to slice it? kind of like a poor man's brisket

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
what if I want to slice it? kind of like a poor man's brisket

With chuck roasts it like the lesser of two evils. 1. The connective tissue needs time to break down 2. The grain of the meat is not like that of a brisket so it make is a lot more difficult to cut it like a brisket.

Probably the most one of the most difficult to cuts of beef to smoke. I've done brisket, prime rib, beef ribs, t-bones, sirloins, filets, bottom round, tri tip (probably my favorite one to smoke. Incredible taste). We have steer going into the locker to day, so looking forward to some homegrown beef again!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

How long do you let it rest after pulling it from heat? Never smoked a chuck roast, sounds good.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I want to try chuck roast this weekend, and tips or tricks?

This is my favorite website for recipes and ideas. I think this is where I got the idea for chuck roast "burnt ends". The link attached will filter directly to chuck roast recipes, but this guy has all kinds of ideas with step-by-step instructions for every kind of meat on the board. Use the "recipes" drop-down at the top of the page under his banner and it's logically sorted by meat types and cuts to all the recipes he has tried.

Smoking-Meat.com

Last edited:

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
How long do you let it rest after pulling it from heat? Never smoked a chuck roast, sounds good.

If I'm pulling something, I try to wrap it or cover with towels and rest it for at least an hour before pulling. You can probably go 3-4 hours resting and it could even be better -- certainly not bad. It just depends upon how much time you have.

• Agree
Reactions: IcSyUclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
If you are slicing a beef or pork roast (including brisket) don't go over 200F IT. 195-200F is probably the safest zone.

If you are pulling, go to 206F IT.

• Informative
Reactions: ScottyP

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If I'm pulling something, I try to wrap it or cover with towels and rest it for at least an hour before pulling. You can probably go 3-4 hours resting and it could even be better -- certainly not bad. It just depends upon how much time you have.

That's what I do with pork shoulders. Wasn't sure if it was same with chuck roast. Makes sense though.

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
If you are slicing a beef or pork roast (including brisket) don't go over 200F IT. 195-200F is probably the safest zone.

If you are pulling, go to 206F IT.
Not sure on brisket, I pull mine around 204 and it tastes awesome. I agree with others on the rest. Needs to be at least an hour but upbto 4 is no problem at all. Last brisket I smoked went in overnight, was done a little after 2 and rested right around 4 hours before serving. Was still hot and great.

• Agree
Reactions: Isualum13

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I did two briskets on Sunday fat side up for 5 hours and then turned them. I had no idea on weight so I went by temp on when to take them off. Ended up being 12.5 hour smoke. I pulled them at 190 and let them rest for an hour in a cooler. I forgot the towel this time and when I opened the cooler the condensation almost drowned me! I'll won't forget it next time.

The best part of letting them rest is the broth you get from them afterward. Makes the best au jus or gravy!!

1620401263064.png

Reactions: cycloneted

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron