Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CyCrazy

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Made a brisket for Father's Day on my masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal smoker. Turned out well.

Only issue was the brisket was prime, and really fatty internally, probably go back to choice next time.

Attachments

• PXL_20220619_222613209~2.jpg
    PXL_20220619_222613209~2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 7

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
For pulled chicken you may want to consider chicken hindquarters instead of whole chickens, just because they might be a cheaper option then whole chickens. If you do whole chickens, I would prolly spatchcock it, especially if it’s going to be pulled anyways. Are you going to leave the skin in for the final product?
Update: I think I'm going to go with whole chickens (I should be able to fit 3-4 on a grate, which should be plenty in combination with the two pork butts). I'll probably smoke them beer can style, maybe with an additional broth/butter injection, then a bourbon barbecue sauce that I'll stir in once it's all pulled.

Reactions: Acylum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have this smoker now. https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/v...eries-ii-4-series-wood-pellet-vertical-smoker

How do I get more smoke to generate? Wish I would have bought another wood burning Masterbuilt.

You need to play with the vent. Open it up for low temps. I’ve found the pellets make a huge difference too. It’s takes some getting used to playing with the ambient temps and the vent. Also make sure you follow the startup procedure in the manual.

My FIL gets a ton of smoke out of his PitBoss vertical smoker.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Thinking of trying to smoke a couple chuck roasts this weekend 1 for sliced and 1 for burnt ends. Any tips? Planning to season like I would beef with just salt pepper and garlic, reading need to get to 165 internal temp them wrap till 190. For burnt ends seems to be a lot of different options out there went to cut up and put in a pan to finish.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Anybody use their electric controlled smoker (Traeger here) in the rain? Seems like any time I want to use it, there is a chance of rain in the forecast.

I know you need to keep the pellets dry to prevent big issues but haven’t seen a lot of consensus on other potential issues.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Smoked a brisket flat today (only the second time)
Not quite as moist as I would have liked but taste and texture were nice

Attachments

• PXL_20220623_224217423.jpg
    PXL_20220623_224217423.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: CYdTracked

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anybody use their electric controlled smoker (Traeger here) in the rain? Seems like any time I want to use it, there is a chance of rain in the forecast.

I know you need to keep the pellets dry to prevent big issues but haven’t seen a lot of consensus on other potential issues.
I have around 200 lbs of pellets in my garage all the time. I’ve been smoking meat for 10 years and have not had an issue with pellets being damp or wet. I think some smoker dealers get you to use their pellets so it won’t void the warranty.

I’ve smoked in the rain in snowstorms and have not had issues with pellets getting wet. If your concerned about getting pellets wet during a cook in the rain, then the manufacturer of the smoker you have probably never took that into consideration when designing the smoker.

Reactions: Farnsworth and Jer

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

I store my pellets in five gallon buckets with waterproof lids. Never had any issues.

With long smokes such as brisket and pork butts, you will usually have the risk of potential rain. The only thing I do differently is wait until the rain is light to check the pellet hopper and refill. If you get a couple raindrops on your pellets, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Reactions: cy4state and Jer

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone have issues leaving pellets in the hopper for periods of time outdoors? I have a cover but don’t know if they still pick up moisture.

I’ve always kept the grill in the garage but we poured a patio off our deck and now it stays in the back.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Anyone have issues leaving pellets in the hopper for periods of time outdoors? I have a cover but don’t know if they still pick up moisture.

I’ve always kept the grill in the garage but we poured a patio off our deck and now it stays in the back.
You should be fine, especially if you're using a cover. My parents have a Traeger that gets only light use and my dad never clears the hopper, and it still works fine. What little moisture that the pellets might get exposed to shouldn't have any meaningful impact on performance.