Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Pretty sure the $10 is a 20 lb bag. Friend is ordering a couple of pallets of Lumberjack pellets. I’m probably going to get seven 40 lb bags for $16 bags. Couple years ago I got them for $13 bag. Shipping cost is what has changed imagine that. If any one is interested in Ames let me know if you want in on the order.

When do you need to know by?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
View attachment 100123
Major smoker upgrade at my house. Yoder pellet grill to match up with the old yoder stick burner.
How’s Yoder compared to Traeger? I like my Traeger but it’s got flaws. I also bought it used so I knew it have baggage. I wouldn’t of been able to afford it if it wasn’t used though.

So basically I like my grills like I like my women.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I upgraded from a small pit boss 440d pellet grill to the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 with wifi. So far it is really amazing. I liked that it came with a top shelf, the easy ash cleanout system and a smoke control setting. Only done some chicken and a 14lb brisket. Brisket came out really well. I started it overnight with full smoke at 225. The temp never wavered more than 10 degrees either way and was mostly within 5.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
How’s Yoder compared to Traeger? I like my Traeger but it’s got flaws. I also bought it used so I knew it have baggage. I wouldn’t of been able to afford it if it wasn’t used though.

I don't personally own a yoder because I haven't won the lottery yet, but generally most people would say the comparison is like a corvette vs taurus. I believe their smallest model starts around $2k

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

Yoder makes really good pellet grills and they look like they are built like tanks. I can't come close to affording one, though.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I've been considering making a UDS and putting a Flame Boss 500 on it. Has anyone here done that?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've been considering making a UDS and putting a Flame Boss 500 on it. Has anyone here done that?

One of my missions on the internet is to sway people away from Flame Boss. I had one a few years ago and had some probe issues. They did replace them, but those had issues too. And then I wasn't able to get much sympathy from them.

I probably did a dozen cooks with it, and maybe 1 was halfway successful.

I use the Thermoworks Smoke and Billows now, but not sure if they are set up to work on a UDS.

Reactions: VTXCyRyD

Cycloneracer

Mar 17, 2014
SW Iowa

My Brother in law use to sell treagers. He wouldn't sell me one.....................
The Yoder weighs 350# I also have a Green Mountain. That is a solid grill. Although mine is one of the older models. Not sure how the new ones hold up. The Yoder is to replace the Green Mountain. It is getting tired and has been on fire a couple of times.
I also have a Yoder stick burner on a trailer. That is what I make the "good stuff" on. My wife isn't a fan of the heavy smoke so we have a pellet grill. And there are certain things I like better off of the pellet grill. I cook for a few large gatherings a year, that is the reason for all the smokers.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014

Yoders are built like tanks, literally. Easily the thickest steel on any pellet grill or stick burner. Heat retention and efficiency has to be better than comparables. Going to be priced higher than most of the competition for this reason, but not crazy out of whack for what you get.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
My Brother in law use to sell treagers. He wouldn't sell me one.....................
The Yoder weighs 350# I also have a Green Mountain. That is a solid grill. Although mine is one of the older models. Not sure how the new ones hold up. The Yoder is to replace the Green Mountain. It is getting tired and has been on fire a couple of times.
I also have a Yoder stick burner on a trailer. That is what I make the "good stuff" on. My wife isn't a fan of the heavy smoke so we have a pellet grill. And there are certain things I like better off of the pellet grill. I cook for a few large gatherings a year, that is the reason for all the smokers.
My dad has a Yoder pellet smoker and stick burner on the same trailer chassis. It is pretty slick and double capacity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron