Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Cooked a deep dish pizza on my pellet grill. Pizza had a little smoke flavor to it. View attachment 99399

Pizza on a pellet grill is awesome.

A few pages back, people were asking about butcher paper. Made the mistake of baking a home made crust on butcher paper in the pellet grill. Don't do that. It sticks.

Also, we recently got a knock off Blackstone to pair with the pellet grill. It's awesome. Fried hamburgers, fajitas, breakfast, etc. Very surprised how much I enjoy it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Meater probe on sale but reviews are very hit or miss.
In this train of thought, Thermoworks Signals units are also 20% off at the moment. Still pricey, but it's the best leave-in probe unit I've ever used. Their ChefAlarm is also 25% off if you only need something with one probe.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Since this is kind of a cooking thread.. new Iron Chef starts on Wednesday via Netflix.

kcbob79clone

FYI FWIW With prices skyrocketing, especially beef which is becoming not affordable to some, I had a discussion with my butcher and he recommended a cut of meat I had never heard of before that is cheaper than brisket and steaks. The cut was a shoulder clod, https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2755/shoulder-clod. He said you could slow cook it like a brisket on a smoker or as a pot roast. I was looking for a pot roast so I got a shoulder clod heart and cooked it Mississippi Pot Roast style and it was wonderful. Next I want to try it brisket style.

Ask your butcher and see what he says.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
FYI FWIW With prices skyrocketing, especially beef which is becoming not affordable to some, I had a discussion with my butcher and he recommended a cut of meat I had never heard of before that is cheaper than brisket and steaks. The cut was a shoulder clod, https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2755/shoulder-clod. He said you could slow cook it like a brisket on a smoker or as a pot roast. I was looking for a pot roast so I got a shoulder clod heart and cooked it Mississippi Pot Roast style and it was wonderful. Next I want to try it brisket style.

I feel like brisket has been 3.99 lb at Sam's for a long time.
HyVee had it on sale two weeks ago for 2.99 lb.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I've shifted to cooking a lot more pork loin this summer. Dirt cheap and delicious. I'll throw it on a rotisserie sometimes, or I'll smoke it and slice it up thin for barbecue sandwiches. Either way, I've got about a week's worth of meals for under $10.

Reactions: mkadl and ruflosn

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone here have experience/opinion on the Pit Boss 700FB? Lowe's has it on sale for $400, though the model they carry is 700FB1.

Ive got the Pit Boss Pro 850 from Lowes and I think it works great. It’s seems a tad goofy at times because I get way more smoke at high temps than low temps. It keeps temp very well and is accurate with cook times as long as you clean the probe off every few uses. It’s on sale for 500.

I think I saw the one you were looking at before and the pro is waaaay more sturdy. Just thicker material everywhere. Just go start flipping lids and touching them. The Pitboss seemed sturdier than the entry level treagers too. The ones at lowes seemed better than the Pitboss grills sold elsewhere. They seem to have a really nice exclusive with the pro line.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Anyone here have experience/opinion on the Pit Boss 700FB? Lowe's has it on sale for $400, though the model they carry is 700FB1.

Ive got the Pit Boss Pro 850 from Lowes and I think it works great. It’s seems a tad goofy at times because I get way more smoke at high temps than low temps. It keeps temp very well and is accurate with cook times as long as you clean the probe off every few uses. It’s on sale for 500.

I think I saw the one you were looking at before and the pro is waaaay more sturdy. Just thicker material everywhere. Just go start flipping lids and touching them. The Pitboss seemed sturdier than the entry level treagers too. The ones at lowes seemed better than the Pitboss grills sold elsewhere. They seem to have a really nice exclusive with the pro line.

Just the PID controller alone on the pro model is worth the extra $100

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Review on the new grates?
Great so far. I have it set up about 1/3 griddle side up and 2/3 grate side up. Did some burgers that turned out better than I’ve had previously on the grill but they cooked faster than expected. I sliced the remaining onion from the seasoning to grill with butter, which was amazing and I’m not a huge onion fan.
Second time I grilled some chicken breast on the grates and then Grilled some broccoli on the griddle side. The veggies seem to have a sweeter flavor on the grill. I normally use the Traeger for chicken but I was crunched for time which is why I used the Weber gasser. The chicken cooked up better than it normally would with the old grates.
The only issue is that the grates throw off the grill thermometer because it was set at what was usually 500 but the grill said 300 with the new grates.

Reactions: I@ST1

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Do you grill on yours or just smoke?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Do you grill on yours or just smoke?

Both but depends on how much time I have. It takes a lot longer to get to temp than the Weber gasser. If it’s something quick for dinner, it goes on the Weber. Everything else goes on the Pitboss.

It makes a great Flat Iron if you crank it up to 450-500 but don’t do a ton of steaks in our house though. Does great with chicken and pork.

Reactions: CyJam

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Great so far. I have it set up about 1/3 griddle side up and 2/3 grate side up. Did some burgers that turned out better than I’ve had previously on the grill but they cooked faster than expected. I sliced the remaining onion from the seasoning to grill with butter, which was amazing and I’m not a huge onion fan.
Second time I grilled some chicken breast on the grates and then Grilled some broccoli on the griddle side. The veggies seem to have a sweeter flavor on the grill. I normally use the Traeger for chicken but I was crunched for time which is why I used the Weber gasser. The chicken cooked up better than it normally would with the old grates.
The only issue is that the grates throw off the grill thermometer because it was set at what was usually 500 but the grill said 300 with the new grates.
That'll definitely happen sometimes (it did happen to me the only time I've used them on a gas grill, and recently when I used lump charcoal, but it's never been an issue with briquettes), but the grates themselves will typically run ~200 degrees hotter than the ambient. It might add a little extra cook time when it happens, but the grates are still plenty hot enough to get the great grill marks.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Do you guys use butcher paper during the 2 of the 3 2 1 for ribs? Making some today and haven’t used butcher paper before. My concern in that I normally put some honey and apple juice in the foil for those two hours and it will just leak through or get absorbed by paper, defeating the purpose.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Do you guys use butcher paper during the 2 of the 3 2 1 for ribs? Making some today and haven’t used butcher paper before. My concern in that I normally put some honey and apple juice in the foil for those two hours and it will just leak through or get absorbed by paper, defeating the purpose.
Never used butcher paper on ribs. I’ve always used foil.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I've never used paper for ribs, always foil. I've only used paper for brisket.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
That’s kinda what I’m thinking. Paper seems more for pork butts, etc. but I’ve never used it so wasn’t sure.
I don't generally use the 3-2-1 method, but I have wrapped my ribs in butcher paper once the bark is set (usually around 2 hours in). I did it with ribs seasoned with just salt and pepper, then put down some brown sugar, butter and honey in the wrap. Turned out great.

kcbob79clone

Smoked some chicken leg quarters on my Davy Crockett. HEB Grocery in Texas had a 25% off sticker for a family pack. Did 180 degrees for 1 hour then hiked temperature to 375 degrees until temperature probe read 180 degrees. Then tented under foil for a few minutes. Incredibly juicy and smokey.

Attachments

• 20220622_192829.jpg
    20220622_192829.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 7

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Smoked some chicken leg quarters on my Davy Crockett. HEB Grocery in Texas had a 25% off sticker for a family pack. Did 180 degrees for 1 hour then hiked temperature to 375 degrees until temperature probe read 180 degrees. Then tented under foil for a few minutes. Incredibly juicy and smokey.
Hind quarters are so good and cheap.
I've seen bags around here frequently that are 10lbs for 5.99

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and bos

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron