Since no one else has done it...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I was really critical of the coaches for the Texas game. Amazing game plan and dedication too getting the team crisp and ready for this game. Campbell said that this senior class is just numb to adversity after all the years of what they have gone through. The coaches seem to be pretty strong willed as well.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I bashed Manning after the Texas game, he deserved it.

He deserves a lot of praise this week. Excellent game plan to keep Oklahoma's defense balance, near-perfect management of the two QB system, and most importantly we got Montgomery involved in the pass game and it worked brilliantly.

Props to Manning!

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Who was that stocky guy we were handing the ball off to? I believe he was #32? Is he new? We threw it to him out of the backfield as well.

Looks like the kid can play and I dont think he played last week. Hopefully we continue to get him the ball.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Two areas I thought need a little bravo on: Owens kicking has been rock solid this year and from what I saw yesterday, Mayfield was scrambling a ton, which meant good secondary play. Oh sure, secondaries get burned once in awhile. And, with a scrambler like Mayfield, one would think he would have done it more. But there'll be no one who 'tracks' as well as Lanning.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonefam and dmh

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Manning is a great OL coach, but he just needs to trust his playmakers to make plays sometimes.

It looked like he saw something in the TX defense that would keep Montgomery in check, so he just stayed away from running him. Problem is that Montgomery seems to find a way, even if it looks like they are spying on him. Once he has some success the other things will open up.

Same thing with Lanning. In every one of those close games that ISU lost last year and the Iowa game this year, there was a point where getting one more first down probably would have won the game. Late in the game with Lanning and Montgomery in the backfield, well I like the chances of being able to run it, and Lanning can always throw a 10 yard pass if the other team completely sells out.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Loved what both coordinators were doing today, OU got going early but the last 3 quarters, Mayfield scrambling was the only way they really moved the ball. A lot of those times, we had guys there that couldn't make the play, a lot of that is on Baker, he might be the best scrambling QB in the country. Not many teams hold OU to 7 points in a half, winning/losing the second half is about adjustments or lack thereof. Our staff outcoached theirs in the 2nd half,plain and simple.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Murdock's touchdown was probably one of the best play calls I've seen at ISU. It caught OU in a blitz perfectly.
On the pass out of our end zone, he brought the TE in motion to the left, and had Montgomery dive to that side. Both stayed in for protection. He had Lazard up the left sideline in 1-1 coverage, and the rest is history. I was really impressed with the design and timing of that simple play. It was perfect for the circumstances.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I think Manning's call to go for the score at the end of the first half instead of taking a knee was a huge positive factor in the game. It was an "in your face" call that showed that we were there to win and we weren't going to give OU any respect.

We probably should have gone for another score at the end of the game instead of taking a knee just to kick some sand in their face. (just being factitious)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It took until Week 6 for him to grasp a very simple concept of getting the ball to DM? Yay, I guess. Stoops is a good remedy for all but the helpless.

Coaches look better when players make plays, and our roster necessitates good play-calling in order to execute at a high-level. It was great to see that synergy yesterday.

I'm bullish on all of the staff, but basic OTJ training costing you winnable games makes building a program so much harder.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I think Manning's call to go for the score at the end of the first half instead of taking a knee was a huge positive factor in the game. It was an "in your face" call that showed that we were there to win and we weren't going to give OU any respect.

And at halftime the talking heads were questioning why ISU didn't take a shot at a TD with 6 seconds still left on the clock.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Completely agree about Manning, after last week's atrocious game plan we saw some very inventive play calling. My favorite was the fake wr screen QB off tackle call. It completely froze the linebackers and kempt basically walked for 9 yards.