SI reporting ISU working on deal with Campbell

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Don't worry. People here think that the Iowa State job is the most desirable open job in the country. Everyone is waiting on the Iowa State job to see if Jamie Pollard will call them.

In the end, most job searches are crap shoots. Honestly, if all of the candidates on our list, they are pretty similar. Will one be better over the other? It's sort of doubtful.

Just stop. The first paragraph here is terrible.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Do we know Campbell was the only person JP talked to? The overreaction to this potential hire is amazing.

IGoState

Jan 15, 2011
I always say if you love them, don't let them walk out the door without getting a yes, if you just like them, interview more. Of course I haven't hit 100% on hires so nothing is for sure. Campbell's track record is impressive for an Iowa State hire, if the interview went great, I'm all for locking it up.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
I checked comments on the Toledo Message Board at http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-760232.html

Most on the board would be sad to see Campbell leave. A few gave the usual ISU is a coaching graveyard chant. Some were encouraged that Toledo would try to retain their coach, but realistically did not believe Toledo could pay would ISU would pay. One poster voiced this concern: "Not sure how we can pay more for a coach since our attendance has been slowly going down and the University is losing students (who pay many of the bills for athletics). Plus, the school is millions short of a balanced budget."

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
What do you do if the interview went so well that you knew you wanted Campbell. And Campbell says he is willing to take the job right now and commit if Iowa State is willing to commit to him.

Do you tell him no? We want to interview all the other candidates. And Campbell then replies that if that is the case then he will continue with interviews and will go to Mizzou next week to interview.
Have you ever interviewed for a job ever?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

It wasn’t that people hadn’t noticed Campbell’s rapid rise from graduate assistant to offensive line coach at Bowling Green and ultimately to offensive coordinator at Toledo, but the logical next move was to Ohio State, where Urban Meyer had targeted him to run the offense alongside Tom Herman.

If the above is true......to quote the CBS Sports PxP guy...UNGHHHHHHH

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
There's people on Tigerboard saying that Mizzou will announce the hiring of their DC as head coach on Monday. Lots of support for that idea there.

Might not be worth more than message board banter, but it's there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You're right...

hoiberg.jpg

Dreamy!

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Here are more tweets from Nick Piotrowicz, a Toledo beat reporter:

Nick Piotrowicz@NickPiotrowicz 31m31 minutes ago
Toledo confirms officially that "an offer is on the table" for a Matt Campbell contract extension.

Nick Piotrowicz@NickPiotrowicz 14m14 minutes ago
Campbell and I spoke at length about ISU in Sept. He really respected Rhoads' work there. Not sure if that hurts or helps ISU's case.

Nick Piotrowicz@NickPiotrowicz 2h2 hours ago
Iowa State is a damn hard job. Not that Campbell is afraid of that, but I'm not sure he's better off there.

If Campbell is hired this year, his buyout is $200,000.

Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard and Toledo AD Mike O'Brien are good friends. Interesting if Campbell picks there.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If JP offered $1.5 mil initially he deserves to lose him. That's an insult. I don't care if he makes $500k...its Toledo. $1.5 would be less than Prohm money...like I said that would be bad if true. If reports are true and JP canceled other interviews and Toledo and another school are offering more than JP is screwed...it's either lose major face and lose the guy everyone knew you wanted and have to stick your tail between your legs begging for other coaches to interview or open the checkbook big time.

Edit: again if any of this is true, which we will never know if Campbell is hired.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
If JP offered $1.5 mil initially he deserves to lose him. That's an insult. I don't care if he makes $500k...its Toledo. $1.5 would be less than Prohm money...like I said that would be bad if true. If reports are true and JP canceled other interviews and Toledo and another school are offering more than JP is screwed...it's either lose major face and lose the guy everyone knew you wanted and have to stick your tail between your legs begging for other coaches to interview or open the checkbook big time.

If a coach agrees to a deal in principle and then backs out, I don't want him anyway.

I guarantee interviews aren't cancelled unless he agreed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron