SI reporting ISU working on deal with Campbell

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
OMG I HEARD LEATH IS LEAKING ALL OF THIS CUZ HE WANTS TO CONSOLIDATE POWER AND SHUT DOWN THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT TO GET RID OF JP!

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
According to USA Today Rhoads had a better record at ISU than I realized "If he becomes Iowa State's head coach, he will take one of the most difficult jobs in the Big 12. Paul Rhoads, the Cyclones' outgoing head coach, went 35-24 in seven seasons in Ames.

Impressive record. His evil twin must have been coaching on the sidelines for those extra 30 losses in the past seven years. The REAL Paul Rhoads was a better coach than we all thought!

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
According to the USA Today database Toledo has an overall AD budget of $26 million and $13 million of that is subsidies. I dunno where they'd pull the money from to go above $2 million. And I hope our opening offer was at least $2 million.
If everyone pitches in another $100 for season tickets we could really sweeten the deal for a coach to $4-5 Mil.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
OMG I HEARD LEATH IS LEAKING ALL OF THIS CUZ HE WANTS TO CONSOLIDATE POWER AND SHUT DOWN THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT TO GET RID OF JP!

Did I say that? I don't even care that the name was leaked. And I'm not the one ******** about it.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It would be sweet IF it was Campbell's side that leaked this, and JP had Willie Fritz on another line all ready to accept an offer. So JP offers Fritz and Fritz accepts..... and then Campbell comes back to the room with his agent ready to accept the offer and JP tells him.... "sorry, we've moved on since you leaked this out.".

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JSB is Campbell a position coach? Serious question.

He's a head coach, he's been successful, he is from the midwest (maybe some new recruiting areas?).

I'm not sure who we could realistically get that is better. He's of the same mold as the guy from Georgia State or Western Georgia or whatever. He's in line with the guy from Western Michigan.

I understand the appeal of running the triple option like the Navy coach, but I'm a little leary that it would not work well in the Big 12. I think it would be stupid to hire the Buffalo coach. I think it would be really stupid to hire Tony Alford.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The way the leak about the ISU offer and soon after word that Toledo would make a counter offer played out, it seems like the most likely place the leak came from is the Toledo athletic department.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He's a head coach, he's been successful, he is from the midwest (maybe some new recruiting areas?).

I'm not sure who we could realistically get that is better. He's of the same mold as the guy from Georgia State or Western Georgia or whatever. He's in line with the guy from Western Michigan.

I understand the appeal of running the triple option like the Navy coach, but I'm a little leary that it would not work well in the Big 12. I think it would be stupid to hire the Buffalo coach. I think it would be really stupid to hire Tony Alford.
So you were wrong and overreacted?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
For some reason I can't post the link but take a look at the all time Toledo records. There are very few losing seasons

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/ToledoRockets.asp

That may not mean anything. It may mean everything.

Yes. Toledo has a good football history. But Toledo was not doing well at football when Campbell and Beckman arrived in 2009. They had 3 consecutive losing seasons prior to their arrival.

The link I posted gives year by year records. Here it is again.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/toledo/

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It would be sweet IF it was Campbell's side that leaked this, and JP had Willie Fritz on another line all ready to accept an offer. So JP offers Fritz and Fritz accepts..... and then Campbell comes back to the room with his agent ready to accept the offer and JP tells him.... "sorry, we've moved on since you leaked this out.".
I agree. Anything that changes this to Fritz would be best. Sadly, it was "reported" JP didn't interview anyone else.

Spam

May 21, 2008
You won't find me ******** about Matt Campbell being the guy.

What if Leath overruled Pollard's decision to hire Campbell after asking Fred Hoiberg for advice, who suggested that Iowa State look elsewhere because he felt that Campbell would leave for the NFL after a few years?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So you were wrong and overreacted?

Wrong about my prediction that the best we could do would be a position coach? Hopefully so.

But there are a lot of people on here acting like Matt Campbell is not good enough. Those are the people that are overreacting.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

So you would turn down Brian Kelly and take Gene Chizik. In retrospect I would take Brian Kelly, whether he leaked info or not.