SI reporting ISU working on deal with Campbell

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Was truly a coincidence that a reporter was on the plane to Detroit with Pollard? Or was this a "leak" by Pollard himself?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@NickPiotrowicz: Toledo confirms officially that "an offer is on the table" for a Matt Campbell contract extension.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Going with the first guy you interview isn't the correct way to conduct an interview process.

What do you do if the interview went so well that you knew you wanted Campbell. And Campbell says he is willing to take the job right now and commit if Iowa State is willing to commit to him.

Do you tell him no? We want to interview all the other candidates. And Campbell then replies that if that is the case then he will continue with interviews and will go to Mizzou next week to interview.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Yes. Toledo has a good football history. But Toledo was not doing well at football when Campbell and Beckman arrived in 2009. They had 3 consecutive losing seasons prior to their arrival.

The link I posted gives year by year records. Here it is again.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/toledo/

They had two 5-7 seasons and one bad season at 3-8. Beckman was the head coach. I get that Campbell was the oc but that's not his team. Campbell continued to win as the Head coach and that is great.

The reality is that most head coaches at Toledo win. Pinkel was certainly a good coach and was there a long time. Saban for a year.

The point is simple. Campbells record at Toledo means he has done what most do there. Hopefully it also means he is a very good coach.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Caption this photo

Well Paul, I guess I'm going to hire Matt Campbell.....
attachment.php

Attachments

• Jamie and Paul.jpg
    Jamie and Paul.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 616
  • Funny
Reactions: ianoconnor

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
@NickPiotrowicz: Toledo confirms officially that "an offer is on the table" for a Matt Campbell contract extension.

Meh, that in and of itself doesn't mean anything. I'm sure Toledo would prefer not to lose him. It only means something if they mortgage their whole AD to keep him, or if other schools get involved.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What do you do if the interview went so well that you knew you wanted Campbell. And Campbell says he is willing to take the job right now and commit if Iowa State is willing to commit to him.

Do you tell him no? We want to interview all the other candidates. And Campbell then replies that if that is the case then he will continue with interviews and will go to Mizzou next week to interview.

Don't worry. People here think that the Iowa State job is the most desirable open job in the country. Everyone is waiting on the Iowa State job to see if Jamie Pollard will call them.

In the end, most job searches are crap shoots. Honestly, if all of the candidates on our list, they are pretty similar. Will one be better over the other? It's sort of doubtful.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

This is why i believe u interview all candidates that you have more interest in first, that way if u like one more than others u can put an offer on the table.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

You married your first, didn't you?

If it is a can't-miss, home-run guy, you may stop. For a guy like Campbell you say let's keep in touch and move on to the other interviews.

I am guessing Campbell would have needed to **** up, not impress in this interview. Just the JP way.