SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Earlier tweet said working in Big 12 teams, I assume that means Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, OU, OSU

Reactions: Cycsk

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
Pie in the sky idea that you can feel free to shoot down but...

Is ensuring you play this fall, when your conference shuts it down, enough to justify a permanent switch of conferences? I'm thinking for example a Nebraska & Iowa or Arizona/Arizona State to the Big 12.

I know some of you wouldn't want the first combo (I think it would be great for rivalries which is what makes college football so great) but either of those would go a long way to solidifying the Big 12 come GOR expiring time. But like I said, pie in the sky.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Now the clash of the titans is NCAA wanting to preserve amateurism and the major donors to universities reacting to the vote by threatening to withdraw donations, or was it really a vote, to not have fall football canceled.

Then the players, then the parents, then the coaches got involved and it has been an entertaining day.

To me the parents were key as they wouldn't put their kids into a dangerous situation.

Finally, I think every school should release testing data like Harbaugh did. Let's start seeing the facts and then decide.

Ok one more thing. As a diehard Big7/Big8/Big12 guy it pains me that the SEC has looked the best throughout this ordeal.

Flame away but realize it will be like spitwads against a battleship.
But you should know better than anyone. Player's parents can't be believed, such as Akrum Wadley's mom.

• Haha
Reactions: kcbob79clone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Pie in the sky idea that you can feel free to shoot down but...

Is ensuring you play this fall, when your conference shuts it down, enough to justify a permanent switch of conferences? I'm thinking for example a Nebraska & Iowa or Arizona/Arizona State to the Big 12.

I know some of you wouldn't want the first combo (I think it would be great for rivalries which is what makes college football so great) but either of those would go a long way to solidifying the Big 12 come GOR expiring time. But like I said, pie in the sky.

I’m actually in for a shakeup. After the Big 8 ended it didn’t matter anymore. Might as well mix it up.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Think of this within the context of what is going on. CFB is a billion dollar industry. The NCAA and most colleges make money hand-over-fist. Right now, all of the risk of playing is on the players. They're the ones who are at risk for COVID. They are compensated at a rate that is a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what the NCAA/Institutions makes off these games.

So compensated? Maybe. Compensated at an appropriate rate given the revenue generated and the risk they are taking? No.

That's the core of this entire issue. The schools have been able to use student athletes to generate millions with them getting on a tiny, tiny share of the profit. In even a normal setting that isn't ok. When they are also facing the risks of COVID, it's really not ok.
News tonight stated CFB is $7 Billion industry

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
Nobody has posted this or is talking about it. I think it will have a big impact on what the Big 12 does.

If you read the full press release. OU sent its team home for a week. Official reason was schedule but they also had a player test positive. If this results in an outbreak then that moves us toward shutting down. If it results in containing the virus then that moves us towards playing because the protocols are working. Waiting for the results in a week.

if the bar for shutting down the season is occasional positive cases among players, you might as well not even start. There is no way to 'bubble' all college players. You either say yes there will be some positives, we will quarantine those players and play on or you cancel the season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
if the bar for shutting down the season is occasional positive cases among players, you might as well not even start. There is no way to 'bubble' all college players. You either say yes there will be some positives, we will quarantine those players and play on or you cancel the season.
I don't think the positive cases is the problem. It's not deaths either. It's the fact that there is a chance that if you catch this virus, at any age, it could have long term effects on you. If this was only about positive cases, they would've put a stop to this season a while ago.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I don't think the positive cases is the problem. It's not deaths either. It's the fact that there is a chance that if you catch this virus, at any age, it could have long term effects on you. If this was only about positive cases, they would've put a stop to this season a while ago.
i don't think anyone knows and that is the problem, i am not disagreeing with you or saying the season should or should not be cancelled but the OP seemed to be implying that if that one positive case didn't result in more than the 'protocols' are working so play on, there will be other positive cases, some may spread among the team, some may be brought in from outside community contact. If you say if we have positives we need to shut down then there is no point in starting IMO. there will be positives, regardless of the measures taken. I don't think college football has the resources to do an NBA bubble. Students are coming back to campus, seems likely there will be an increase in cases associated with that, i don't think that is necessarily bad, young healthy people don't seem to be greatly impacted again i agree we don't know for sure. But if you shut down campus because you have some positives which you will, just like football, why even start?

Reactions: BigCyFan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is a legitimate concern, to be sure, but I find some irony in CFB all the sudden being concerned about potential long term medical effects.
There’s definitely some irony there. Although our current coaching staff makes feel confident the right things are and will be done there.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i don't think anyone knows and that is the problem, i am not disagreeing with you or saying the season should or should not be cancelled but the OP seemed to be implying that if that one positive case didn't result in more than the 'protocols' are working so play on, there will be other positive cases, some may spread among the team, some may be brought in from outside community contact. If you say if we have positives we need to shut down then there is no point in starting IMO. there will be positives, regardless of the measures taken. I don't think college football has the resources to do an NBA bubble. Students are coming back to campus, seems likely there will be an increase in cases associated with that, i don't think that is necessarily bad, young healthy people don't seem to be greatly impacted again i agree we don't know for sure. But if you shut down campus because you have some positives which you will, just like football, why even start?
I believe college football is going to take the MLB approach.. You have some positive cases, you may have to delay or cancel a game or two, but you're going to chug along as long as you can. Not arguing whether that's the right thing to do, just believe if we do end up playing that's going to be the mindset going in.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is a legitimate concern, to be sure, but I find some irony in CFB all the sudden being concerned about potential long term medical effects.

Theirlegal team feels that concussions are “football injuries” with an implied consent when youaccept the scholly and put on the pads. The school provides what is deemed “proper protection” for that situation.

The Rona is not that and they feel they would be open to liability. That’s why this line of “reasoning” is off base and why you see the people you see on this site going along with it.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Theirlegal team feels that concussions are “football injuries” with an implied consent when youaccept the scholly and put on the pads. The school provides what is deemed “proper protection” for that situation.

The Rona is not that and they feel they would be open to liability. That’s why this line of “reasoning” is off base and why you see the people you see on this site going along with it.

Just my two cents, but I think the reason they're concerned with this vs CTE is because, thanks to contact tracing, it's documented when and where a player contracts COVID19. Which makes it easier to prove in a court case. With CTE, you can't definitively say "this is when it happened".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron