SI: College Football Leaders moving to cancel season

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Chris, do you have an idea of how much communication is happening between the P5 commissioners and presidents?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
My guess is, like spring sports, athletes will be offered an extra year if they choose to take advantage of it.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
giphy.gif

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I am very interested to know the exact reasoning for canceling the season. They will cite health and safety of football players and coaches without much more detail.

I know this isn't the same thing, but I will high school football programs have been practicing for 6 weeks now and outbreaks have not happened. Yes it's not the same thing. But I think it does prove that football does not have to lead to increased cases.

Ultimately I think it's a PR move. Universities don't want the liability of student-athletes testing positive. They have way more resources than any individual could have on their own so I don't buy that it's safer for them to not play.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am very interested to know the exact reasoning for canceling the season. They will cite health and safety of football players and coaches without much more detail.

I know this isn't the same thing, but I will high school football programs have been practicing for 6 weeks now and outbreaks have not happened. Yes it's not the same thing. But I think it does prove that football does not have to lead to increased cases.

Ultimately I think it's a PR move. Universities don't want the liability of student-athletes testing positive. They have way more resources than any individual could have on their own so I don't buy that it's safer for them to not play.

Of course liability plays into it. But I also think it’s college administrators trying to do the best they can.

but I wouldn’t bet that the high school kids are free and clear. They aren’t being tested.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Agreed. Why in the heck are we bringing students back to campus as we speak if it's too dangerous for student athletes (with resources to control and mitigate any risk of spread) to have a season? The student athletes are still subject to getting the virus from just going to class (probably more likely because students don't have to get regularly tested). I just wonder if there's more behind this decision (i.e. players forming unions in other conferences).

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

The reasoning is we still don't know the long term effects of the virus (i.e. heart/respiratory issues)

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I would think with high school football, those athletes are at least staying somewhat local within the state or neighboring communities. So the risk of contracting an outbreak would be somewhat dependent on how the state overall has been containing the virus.

With college, you have teams traveling across state borders and with some states handling this poorly and having big daily case numbers, the potential spread from week to week and team to team increases.

I was trying to be optimistic, but I think high school sports should be canceled until there is a viable vaccine.

Im optimistic that there will be a spring college football season because of the money involved. Yeah, the turnaround time from spring to fall is not ideal, but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and Cy$

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Of course liability plays into it. But I also think it’s college administrators trying to do the best they can.

but I wouldn’t bet that the high school kids are free and clear. They aren’t being tested.

Yep. High schools don't have the resources to routinely test their players. Plus, high school kids are going back to their homes where their parents are still in control (somewhat) of their lives. College students are going back to the dorms or their apartments and then heading out to the bars or house parties.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Agreed. Why in the heck are we bringing students back to campus as we speak if it's too dangerous for student athletes (with resources to control and mitigate any risk of spread) to have a season? The student athletes are still subject to getting the virus from just going to class (probably more likely because students don't have to get regularly tested). I just wonder if there's more behind this decision (i.e. players forming unions in other conferences).

because they need tuition. how else are you going to pay for that rec