Should we have been worried?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I don't think there was much reason to be worried about the Gopher job. But I do have to admit, the events make me more worried about Fred taking an NBA job if the right one came along.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I listened to Paul Allen on KXNO today and he said a couple of interesting things. The first was that he didn't think Fred was going to take the job, but that he was offered. He also didn't think that Fred would screw around and use the job as leverage. Then he also said that he tried calling him after the Minnesota news broke and he didn't take his call. Those statements don't really jive to me, so I'm not sure what to think.
I thought the same thing initially. Then I considered the fact that he was likely in the middle of negotiating a new contract at the time, and to respond to calls from folks in the media during negotiations (friends or not) would have been unwise.

The other notable comment from Paul Allen that you didn't mention was that PA said he doesn't expect Hoiberg to return to the NBA someday.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Jamie is a businessman, and a brilliant one. If you've worked in the corporate world, you know how things work. Jamie giving himself some credit. I'm glad we have Fred. I'm glad we have Jamie.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
No way.

It wouldn't shock me even to hear that the whole "situation" was leaked to set up that he was getting the extension.

ISU3000

Mar 7, 2008
I wasn't worried, because I knew JP would pay him the money he needs to be payed.

images

Spam

May 21, 2008
There was WAYYYY too much smoke. If Fred was considering it, he'd do it quietly. He'd make sure no one knew that offer was made, and he'd make sure no one knew it was in consideration.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I am just very curious what Cyclone fans think about the Hoiberg situation and what your thoughts are about how serious Hoiberg considered the MN offer, or other offers. With the posts from Jamie the past two days, he is talking like it was more difficult than he thought it was going to be to keep the Mayor. Or not? Thoughts?

Jamie Pollard ‏@IASTATEAD10h
It's a great morning to be a Cyclone! Sun is shining, snow has melted and Fred is staying. Very challenging week but also very rewarding.
Perhaps it could have something to do with MBB and WBB having two good years end in heartbreaking fashion? Oh, and the work required by the AD ensure travel goes well, plus wrestling, plus whatever other sports that were going on. A busy week which culminated in Fred agreeing to a contract that he had likely been working on for months....and had nothing to do with worrying about Fred going to the Gophers to play second fiddle to hockey.

Just reinforced how LITTLE some self-proclaimed insiders knew. This deal has been in the works for weeks and to think CFH had any more than a vague inkling of even CONSIDERING a move to a program at or below us is flat out goofy.

Yep. People are taking too much of a cursory look at the timing. The real threat was the NBA and it emerged weeks/months ago, and as such this deal had been in works for a long time. Common sense suggests Fred was not leaving ISU for another college job, certainly not one like Minn, and him agreeing to a 10 year $20 million extension mere hours after a reported offer from Minn confirms there was no measurable interest.

Last edited:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
If Fred hadn't gotten the offer, do you think we would have still given him an extension?

That actually ties in to what I think is the leaking was probably intentional on the ISU side to provide "cover" for the extension.

And yes, there are people ignorant enough of how the college coaching market works to need it.

D

DistrictCyclone

That actually ties in to what I think is the leaking was probably intentional on the ISU side to provide "cover" for the extension.

And yes, there are people ignorant enough of how the college coaching market works to need it.

Interesting, hadn't thought of that before.

Out of curiosity, why would the University need "cover" to give CFH an extension?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Out of curiosity, why would the University need "cover" to give CFH an extension?

More likely to play up the publicity he was already getting. Advertising is free when the papers and TV stations are giving it away. Let them talk about it and then slam a 10-year committment on the table for the recruits to see.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Some in the ISU community are not the fanatics that we are and need some type of justification for such a long deal. Also, nothing motivates people (donors and Admins) like fear- easy to get people to be on board when you present it as needed to keep The Mayor. Let everyone hear about how wanted your guy is when you know you have him locked up. Fred\'s and ISU's image just went up.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines

I don't know that cover was the best wording, but sometimes there are academic types that it rubs the wrong way. Then you have the segment of the population that thinks Kirk Ferentz is paid with tax payer money since he's a "state employee."

Certainly the leak coming from Hoiberg operatives or agent, the benefits are obvious, but there are still some people and factions that Pollard would need to "sell" the extension to just a bit.

Last edited:

bradnjen

Apr 27, 2010
SE Iowa
More likely to play up the publicity he was already getting. Advertising is free when the papers and TV stations are giving it away. Let them talk about it and then slam a 10-year committment on the table for the recruits to see.
Totally agree that recruiting was in play. Minnesota has a lot of young talent that is too young to remember Fred's playing days.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Put it this way, it wasn't a coincidence that the Minnesota chatter really ignited and took off only hours before the extension was announced.

They were working on this extension this week, before yesterday. It's not like Minnesota offered and then Pollard and Hoiberg hammered the whole thing out, from scratch, in an hour or two down at the Duff Panera.

So, the question is, who had any conceivable value in leaking things that far along in the process?

Iowa State does. Extending a coach that everyone is trying to hire away. Good pub on the extension. Even better pub once you turn him into a real, national commodity.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Put it this way, it wasn't a coincidence that the Minnesota chatter really ignited and took off only hours before the extension was announced.

They were working on this extension this week, before yesterday. It's not like Minnesota offered and then Pollard and Hoiberg hammered the whole thing out in an hour or two down at Panera.

So, the question is, who had any conceivable value in leaking things that far along in the process?
Right on. Does anyone think Minn wanted this out there? Only if they completely thought he was on his way to the introductory press conference. Given Fred's contract came out hours later, either Minn's AD is ******* illiterate when it comes to reading people, or the leaks came from ISU.

The Minn job was mostly a way to get Fred some flattering press in markets we want to be in, and then boost ISU's image by Fred quickly "choosing ISU over Minn".

D

DistrictCyclone

Some in the ISU community are not the fanatics that we are and need some type of justification for such a long deal. Also, nothing motivates people (donors and Admins) like fear- easy to get people to be on board when you present it as needed to keep The Mayor. Let everyone hear about how wanted your guy is when you know you have him locked up. Fred\'s and ISU's image just went up.

I don't know that cover was the best wording, but sometimes there are academic types that it rubs the wrong way. Then you have the segment of the population that thinks Kirk Ferentz is paid with tax payer money since he's a "state employee."

Certainly the leak coming from Hoiberg operatives or agent, the benefits are obvious, but there are still some people and factions that Pollard would need to "sell" the extension to just a bit.

These all make a lot of sense. Thanks gents, I wasn't around last night when the news broke and haven't had time to read up on the discussion.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Its my understanding that fred called minnesota again tonight and turned them down again. Just because it was so fun the first time

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
It's not like Minnesota offered and then Pollard and Hoiberg hammered the whole thing out, from scratch, in an hour or two down at the Duff Panera.

While I completely agree with you, that was pretty much how they hammered out the original contract just replace Panera with Fred's kitchen.

I was never worried. Worst case was Minnesota would have beat Iowa twice a year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron