Should we have been worried?

ISU Clone

Apr 11, 2006
I am just very curious what Cyclone fans think about the Hoiberg situation and what your thoughts are about how serious Hoiberg considered the MN offer, or other offers. With the posts from Jamie the past two days, he is talking like it was more difficult than he thought it was going to be to keep the Mayor. Or not? Thoughts?

Jamie Pollard ‏@IASTATEAD10h
It's a great morning to be a Cyclone! Sun is shining, snow has melted and Fred is staying. Very challenging week but also very rewarding.

I
F its already been talked about thats great, just lead me to the thread...Or shut up :)

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I am just very curious what Cyclone fans think about the Hoiberg situation and what your thoughts are about how serious Hoiberg considered the MN offer, or other offers. With the posts from Jamie the past two days, he is talking like it was more difficult than he thought it was going to be to keep the Mayor. Or not? Thoughts?

It's a great morning to be a Cyclone! Sun is shining, snow has melted and Fred is staying. Very challenging week but also very rewarding.

I
F its already been talked about thats great, just lead me to the thread...Or shut up :)

We didn't want him anyway

:jimlad:

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I think ADs always stress out about their popular coaches leaving. Retaining the football and BB coach is arguable Jamie's most important job, so worrying about it, no matter how remote, is what he should be doing.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I truly believe that he considered the MN offer. Fred is very well liked up here, by all accounts he enjoyed loving in Minneapolis and still has a lot of friends up here.
I have had the opportunity to move a few times in life and at times have thought about moving back to a previous location.
There is a lot to love about the Twin Cities that you just can't get in Ames.
I am glad he decided to stay and don't think that there was a high likelyhood that he would jump ship on ISU but he must have at least thought about it. Sometimes you need an enticing opportunity to leave in order to realize how good you have it by staying.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I truly believe that he considered the MN offer. Fred is very well liked up here, by all accounts he enjoyed loving in Minneapolis and still has a lot of friends up here.
I have had the opportunity to move a few times in life and at times have thought about moving back to a previous location.
There is a lot to love about the Twin Cities that you just can't get in Ames.
I am glad he decided to stay and don't think that there was a high likelyhood that he would jump ship on ISU but he must have at least thought about it. Sometimes you need an enticing opportunity to leave in order to realize how good you have it by staying.

Lets not talk about his personal life

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guarantee that everyone had a little worry in him when words get tossed around that Fred has an offer and eventually gets a raise from ISU..

So you're thinking for me now?

I had ZERO doubt that Hoiberg would not leave ISU for Minnesota.

D

DistrictCyclone

Fred's a smart guy with business acumen. He knows he's beloved here, but he also knows that the future is rife with uncertainty...if your goal is to be here long-term, you're wise to lock it up while you have the chance. Leveraging an offer from another team helps make that happen.

That's all this was (my guess).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I listened to Paul Allen on KXNO today and he said a couple of interesting things. The first was that he didn't think Fred was going to take the job, but that he was offered. He also didn't think that Fred would screw around and use the job as leverage. Then he also said that he tried calling him after the Minnesota news broke and he didn't take his call. Those statements don't really jive to me, so I'm not sure what to think.

The second and more interesting thing he said is that he talked to Fred after the Ohio State game and he had never heard him so down. That game took a hell of a lot out of Hoiberg.

I think that maybe after a year of heartbreak and finishing with a heartbreak above all heartbreaks was enough to make him listen to another offer. I don't think seriously, but maybe to think about what it would be to coach a team that wasn't snakebit and that wasn't at the school that he loved.

As far as how much we should have been worried---I don't think we needed to be super worried, but it we shouldn't have just ignored it anyway. For 6 hours we got to think about Iowa State basketball without Fred Hoiberg as the coach. If that doesn't scare you, nothing sports related should.

Reactions: CloneIce

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Honestly, no I don't think we had much to worry about. It seemed like all of a sudden yesterday afternoon/evening there was a flood of stories about Minnesota "seriously" coming after Fred. Then a couple hours later he'd signed an extension. Hey may well have taken their call but I doubt anything serious came of it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm just pointing out that how would you know that he had some interest in MN

I didn't say he didn't have some interest - I said I (and the vast majority of us, based on the closed thread from yesterday) weren't worried whatsoever, considering how badly the 75-25 and even the 99-1 was ridiculed.

D

DistrictCyclone

I could hardly have taken this 'threat' any more lightly or laughed at it more than I did. This was never even remotely serious.

If Fred hadn't gotten the offer, do you think we would have still given him an extension?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I

Just reinforced how LITTLE some self-proclaimed insiders knew. This deal has been in the works for weeks and to think CFH had any more than a vague inkling of even CONSIDERING a move to a program at or below us is flat out goofy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron