Shirley Barnes Blasts Tirrell and his report on Harrison

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Secretaries and stuff don't seem to be in there.

And she still does work as a secretary in the music department at Iowa State.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't. My sister is a music major at Iowa State and she told me that Shirley didn't work there anymore because of budget cuts.

I have heard she still lives in Ames.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm pretty sure she doesn't. My sister is a music major at Iowa State and she told me that Shirley didn't work there anymore because of budget cuts.

I have heard she still lives in Ames.
Is your sister a dentist?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I normally like to give people the benefit of a doubt...but is there a bigger POS out there than Marty Tirrell?

Reactions: rdubbs

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
# 1 - ISU is NOT going to allow a secretary to send out a NON-ISU press release using her ISU e-mail account. They have people who handle all the press releases from writing them to sending them to the media contacts.
Like they're going to tackle her before she hits the send button?

Reactions: GoCubsGo

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I'm more concerned about why I've had 2 posts deleted in this thread, neither of which crossed the line.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm more concerned about why I've had 2 posts deleted in this thread, neither of which crossed the line.
We're all really concerned about that. My guess is Shirley Barnes got to one of the mods and flipped him/her.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Like they're going to tackle her before she hits the send button?

I wouldn't be so sure of that...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JQdajFXlD4]YouTube - Alvin "Ace" Bowen - Compliance Linebacker Part I[/ame]

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
Matty P is a tool, and HB is coming back to UNC. Shirley and Harrison wanted to wait and announce later, so people would talk. Marty beat them to it. Like was posted earlier, if they can't handle this, they are not ready for the NBA. Their crying because one person said he's staying? Get real. Ignore it. And for Matt, he's still in Marty's shadow, but trying his hardest to make MT look bad. Matt is a DB.

Reactions: The_Architect

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Marty Tirrell, Mouth of the Midwest at it again

Ames, Iowa -Marty Tirrell of Mouth of the Midwest and Calling All Sports, acting apparently on his desire to be in the know, is again making inaccurate and uninformed statements about former Ames High student and current University of North Carolina freshman, Harrison Barnes.

Early Monday on Calling All Sports.com Tirrell reported that Barnes had made a decision about his collegiate future and would make those plans known on April 5th. Tirrell also made several tweets on the subject:

Harrison Barnes returning to Chapel Hill for sophomore years..."unfinished business " and cites desire to win a championship

2:38 PM Mar 29th via Mobile Web from Des Moines, IA
Harrison Barnes to make it official Tuesday.... Back to Heels-
about 19 hours ago via Mobile Web from Charlotte, NC

Harrison Barnes prattle 10a east at callingallsports.com Monday
about 16 hours ago via Mobile Web from Augusta, GA

Harrison Barnes commits to "work left to be done" at NC Tells family and friends wants and feel Heels can move forward and " win a title "
about 12 hours ago via Mobile Web from Georgia, US

In 2009 as Ames High was preparing for their first state tournament appearance in 18 years, Tirrell, who worked for KXNO Radio at the time, reported that then-junior Harrison Barnes would attend Oak Hill Academy, a college preparatory school in Virginia known for its basketball prowess, in the fall of 2009. This major distraction for the school and the team resulted in Barnes' family responding with a press release stating the report had no merit and was solely generated by those reporting it. Again, Terrill's statements have no merit and are solely speculation by the reporter.

Terrill has not spoken to the Barnes family or to anyone in their inner circle. His actions are irresponsible and amount to harassment. As a result, the family is fielding calls to rectify inaccurate reporting.

Harrison Barnes and members of his family will not field further questions on the subject of his future until a decision has been made.

booorrrriiinnngg!

Go away! Shoo!

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
If the Barnes' want to wait to announce things and drag it out, then they should be ready for things like this. That's the way the 24-7 sports media is these days.

If you know what you're going to do, just announce it and get it over with. If you don't, that's totally fine, just come out and say hey I'm still deciding, I'll let you know when I'm ready to announce. These bunker mentality rules the Barnes try to play by aren't going to fly

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Marty Tirrell, Mouth of the Midwest at it again

Ames, Iowa -Marty Tirrell of Mouth of the Midwest and Calling All Sports, acting apparently on his desire to be in the know, is again making inaccurate and uninformed statements about former Ames High student and current University of North Carolina freshman, Harrison Barnes.

Early Monday on Calling All Sports.com Tirrell reported that Barnes had made a decision about his collegiate future and would make those plans known on April 5th. Tirrell also made several tweets on the subject:

Harrison Barnes returning to Chapel Hill for sophomore years..."unfinished business " and cites desire to win a championship

2:38 PM Mar 29th via Mobile Web from Des Moines, IA
Harrison Barnes to make it official Tuesday.... Back to Heels-
about 19 hours ago via Mobile Web from Charlotte, NC

Harrison Barnes prattle 10a east at callingallsports.com Monday
about 16 hours ago via Mobile Web from Augusta, GA

Harrison Barnes commits to "work left to be done" at NC Tells family and friends wants and feel Heels can move forward and " win a title "
about 12 hours ago via Mobile Web from Georgia, US

In 2009 as Ames High was preparing for their first state tournament appearance in 18 years, Tirrell, who worked for KXNO Radio at the time, reported that then-junior Harrison Barnes would attend Oak Hill Academy, a college preparatory school in Virginia known for its basketball prowess, in the fall of 2009. This major distraction for the school and the team resulted in Barnes' family responding with a press release stating the report had no merit and was solely generated by those reporting it. Again, Terrill's statements have no merit and are solely speculation by the reporter.

Terrill has not spoken to the Barnes family or to anyone in their inner circle. His actions are irresponsible and amount to harassment. As a result, the family is fielding calls to rectify inaccurate reporting.

Harrison Barnes and members of his family will not field further questions on the subject of his future until a decision has been made.

There's no way this an actual press release. If this was legit it would have been picked up by at least one major site, instead it's only on this site.

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
Ken Miller forwarded this email from Mrs. Barnes after he emailed to make sure the PR was real:

Ken,

Thank you for checking. Yes, the release did come from me and sorry for spelling Mr. Tirrell's name incorrectly in the closing paragraph.

Sadly Mr. Tirrell gave his opinion as fact which included a decision date. What should be a low key private family decision has turned into a media circus.

-Shirley

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
Ken Miller forwarded this email from Mrs. Barnes after he emailed to make sure the PR was real:

Ken,

Treat hank you for checking. Yes, the release did come from me and sorry for spelling Mr. Tirrell's name incorrectly in the closing paragraph.

Sadly Mr. Tirrell gave his opinion as fact which included a decision date. What should be a low key private family decision has turned into a media circus.

-Shirley
Great buddy, just great. btw you are just the worst.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Ken,

Thank you for checking. Yes, the release did come from me and sorry for spelling Mr. Tirrell's name incorrectly in the closing paragraph.

-Shirley

good lord.....who gives a ****.

concentrate on your twit war with your soul-mate.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

Ken,

-Shirley

Marty really gets under your skin, doesn't he? :twitcy:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Cause you know, posting this giggles, makes you look awesome.....Oh wait your reputation here was so far down the ******* that nothing would save it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Matty P is a tool, and HB is coming back to UNC. Shirley and Harrison wanted to wait and announce later, so people would talk. Marty beat them to it. Like was posted earlier, if they can't handle this, they are not ready for the NBA. Their crying because one person said he's staying? Get real. Ignore it. And for Matt, he's still in Marty's shadow, but trying his hardest to make MT look bad. Matt is a DB.

It's probably not that Tirrell said it. It's all the calls, e-mails, etc. that follow something like that. I'd get sick of all the calls too if I were in her shoes.

And you don't come out and say you're still deciding, unless it's in reaction to calls like that. Isn't that pretty much what this e-mail from Shirley was doing? Saying that they haven't made a decision yet? And that's attention-seeking? Personally, I would think attention-seeking behavior would be to not refute Marty's statements, let the calls keep coming.

Letting the calls keep coming by not refuting Marty: attention-seeking (the more calls, the merrier!)

Randomly saying that you're still deciding (saying it without provocation, for example all of the calls): attention-seeking (making a big deal out of saying absolutely nothing, for no reason).

Refuting Marty because you want to be left alone through this process (within reason): NOT attention-seeking.

Last edited: