Share awesome (not awesome) customer service experience for Friday entertainment

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My account of many from the opposite side of the service as a host in a restaurant.

Me: Opens the door for the person to leave. 'How was everything?'

Prickly lady who was quasi-regular who complained out the door every time: '$2.50 for a cup of milk this small? Not sure why we keep coming back.'

Me what I actually said: 'Ok, drive safe and have a great night!'

Me what I wanted to say: 'Well nobody invited you here, so maybe you could just keep your b*tch a** home and pour your own glass of milk, but then I guess you wouldn't be able to get your rocks off by making someone feel like they wronged you like the uppity ****stick you are?'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There was one time I was at Paddy's in Ames and just ordered two beers. It was busy, a Friday in the fall and a home ISU game the next day.

The bartender gave me one beer, then went back to getting other things. I just got his attention, and just gave a reminder that I ordered two, no big deal since he had a lot going on and I wasn't in a hurry.

He proceeded to explode on me, yelling at me that I was just trying to **** him over and rip off the place, without any hesitation. Like, screaming at me. I just tried explaining I just needed one more beer and he just kept at it.

I was stunned and it only got worse when a couple of folks around the bar took his side and told me point blank that he had given me two beers. I had not left the bar since I had ordered and was standing there with one beer and change left from buying two.

It was just bizarre. I left as it was just bottles of Bud Light or whatever so not a huge deal. Eventually someone who I'd assume was a manager came up and gave my group a 6 pack...perhaps it wasn't a first time for the guy to get that way.

Reactions: wxman1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There was one time I was at Paddy's in Ames and just ordered two beers. It was busy, a Friday in the fall and a home ISU game the next day.

The bartender gave me one beer, then went back to getting other things. I just got his attention, and just gave a reminder that I ordered two, no big deal since he had a lot going on and I wasn't in a hurry.

He proceeded to explode on me, yelling at me that I was just trying to **** him over and rip off the place, without any hesitation. Like, screaming at me. I just tried explaining I just needed one more beer and he just kept at it.

I was stunned and it only got worse when a couple of folks around the bar took his side and told me point blank that he had given me two beers. I had not left the bar since I had ordered and was standing there with one beer and change left from buying two.

It was just bizarre. I left as it was just bottles of Bud Light or whatever so not a huge deal. Eventually someone who I'd assume was a manager came up and gave my group a 6 pack...perhaps it wasn't a first time for the guy to get that way.

You were right to expect to get what you paid for or ordered.

Surprised it's a such controversial thing here.

Reactions: Bipolarcy and CyJam

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You were right to expect to get what you paid for or ordered.

Surprised it's a such controversial thing here.

I'd assume there's been some conflict with this but it really wasn't a huge deal. Like I was out $1.50. Just escalated quickly like I had threatened him or something.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I don't think there really is such a thing as "loyalty" to customers anymore. And it's not the agent's fault, or the underwriter's fault, it's just what the computer algorithm says. Leaving them was the right call!

Yea, I get it. I work with in the CX field and our biggest headache today is that we are expected to humanize a response to the customer that is completely void of human input. AI/ML will be a good thing but it isn't a switch you flip on and off without some consideration of the human aspect. For all I know, SF made the right decision business wise with us, could have been delivered in a different way that probably would have left the door open to us continuing as or returning as customers.

Reactions: khardbored

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Many years ago, in a different life, I travelled a lot to provide training. We were a small company, so I booked most of the travel myself - flights, hotels, rental cars. One time, I'm flying in on a Sunday. Talked with Enterprise prior to that - everything's arranged for my rental.

I land, grab my luggage, and hop on the shuttle to the rental area. Lo and behold, Enterprise is closed. I look around and find one of the other rentals without a line. I ask them and they replied, "Oh yeah, Enterprise is always closed on Sunday."

And that, friends, was the last time I rented from Enterprise.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Thought of another good one. My senior year at ISU I was next door neighbors with David Montgomery, Kene, Deshaunte Jones, and a few other players . We moved into a couple duplexes that were just built over the summer.

Our landlord told us before signing the lease that there was no internet hookup in the area yet but that Centurylink said they would get a terminal built before the school year started. That didn’t happen. Our landlord told us in September/October that he couldn’t do anything about it because it would cost him thousands of dollars to get it done and that it was up to Centurylink to decide if they wanted to provide service.

Around November, Centurylink says they can get us in at the end of the month. End of the month comes and they then tell us the ground is too cold to put in the line they need.

Fast forward to the spring, we were almost done with our senior year and had gotten by without internet so we gave up. David and others were going to be there over the summer and he tweeted this on April 1st.

A ton of football players retweeted it and it kinda blew up. Century link came out two days later and we had high speed internet by April 5th

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Even worse when one of their insured causes an accident. I had a small fishing boat fly off a car in front of me and strike my car on the interstate. Guy had it strapped to his roof with some twine. State Farm tried to say it was my fault for not driving a safe speed. Had to file an appeal to the state insurance board to get them to pay.

Wow, when did state farm sink to the level of progressive? Brother got struck at a stoplight in Ames one time by a car running a red. Progressive was the insurer of both vehicles. They assigned 15% fault to brother forcing him to pay his deductible before kicking in the rest

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wow, when did state farm sink to the level of progressive? Brother got struck at a stoplight in Ames one time by a car running a red. Progressive was the insurer of both vehicles. They assigned 15% fault to brother forcing him to pay his deductible before kicking in the rest
State farm has been **** since before Katrina.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Must be a common insurance scam. Got backed into at a Home Depot parking lot. Guy just kept coming. I honked and he still hit me. Thank God I called for a police report. He volunteered he had major hearing loss and didn't hear my horn. Apologized in person. Police report gave 100% blame to him and zero to me. He had All State. They tried to stick me with 50% of the blame because I didn't have any witnesses. Well, besides the person in my vehicle who happened to see and hear the whole thing. No good, Because he would obviously lie for me. They asked for the police report and I scanned and sent it. Then they proceed to tell me they already have it. I point out where it says he's 100% at fault. Nope, the cop didn't see the accident so that doesn't count. I point out I honked and he admitted not hearing that. Did they ask their customer about that? Well, that's confidential, we can't tell you what he might have said. Every time I talked to their adjuster they just kept saying the same illogical thing. When I got upset they 'd just say I need to stay calm, meanwhile all they are doing is denying my claim.

I eventually got my insurance company to file for me and they were able to get my deduction from All State.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Must be a common insurance scam. Got backed into at a Home Depot parking lot. Guy just kept coming. I honked and he still hit me. Thank God I called for a police report. He volunteered he had major hearing loss and didn't hear my horn. Apologized in person. Police report gave 100% blame to him and zero to me. He had All State. They tried to stick me with 50% of the blame because I didn't have any witnesses. Well, besides the person in my vehicle who happened to see and hear the whole thing. No good, Because he would obviously lie for me. They asked for the police report and I scanned and sent it. Then they proceed to tell me they already have it. I point out where it says he's 100% at fault. Nope, the cop didn't see the accident so that doesn't count. I point out I honked and he admitted not hearing that. Did they ask their customer about that? Well, that's confidential, we can't tell you what he might have said. Every time I talked to their adjuster they just kept saying the same illogical thing. When I got upset they 'd just say I need to stay calm, meanwhile all they are doing is denying my claim.

I eventually got my insurance company to file for me and they were able to get my deduction from All State.

I had a stint in traffic safety and aside from the safety/not dying aspect, one big reason I would emphasize with folks to avoid collisions even if it's not your fault, is because of the above.

The run around for the whole deal is such a pain even before insurance gets involved.

TakeCover

Mar 26, 2012
Des Moines, IA
About 4 or 5 years ago, a guy I do a little business with bought a brand new riding mower from a dealership in a nearby town. He spends extra for this care package on it that includes cleaning, service, and storage in their warehouse through the winter. Mows with it all summer and then trailers it to the dealership at the onset of winter, no issues needing serviced at that time..

Fast forward to spring, he heads down to the dealership (maybe 30 minutes away) with his trailer to pick up his mower, they assure him it'll be right out. He waits, and waits a little more after that, finally notices an associate scrambling with a supervisor and looking over at the guy waiting for his mower. They ask again for the serial number on his mower, "just to confirm."

Turns out the dealership accidentally sold his mower a few weeks before he came to pick it up.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We have USAA for insurance. Fantastic to deal with. Customer service is solid.

I feel like I've had good customer service overall lately from a lot of places. Outside of grocery stores, I've tried to frequent smaller shops and family run places, though.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5 and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
About 4 or 5 years ago, a guy I do a little business with bought a brand new riding mower from a dealership in a nearby town. He spends extra for this care package on it that includes cleaning, service, and storage in their warehouse through the winter. Mows with it all summer and then trailers it to the dealership at the onset of winter, no issues needing serviced at that time..

Fast forward to spring, he heads down to the dealership (maybe 30 minutes away) with his trailer to pick up his mower, they assure him it'll be right out. He waits, and waits a little more after that, finally notices an associate scrambling with a supervisor and looking over at the guy waiting for his mower. They ask again for the serial number on his mower, "just to confirm."

Turns out the dealership accidentally sold his mower a few weeks before he came to pick it up.

I assume they got him a really good deal on a new mower?

Reactions: BCClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Thought of another good one. My senior year at ISU I was next door neighbors with David Montgomery, Kene, Deshaunte Jones, and a few other players . We moved into a couple duplexes that were just built over the summer.

Our landlord told us before signing the lease that there was no internet hookup in the area yet but that Centurylink said they would get a terminal built before the school year started. That didn’t happen. Our landlord told us in September/October that he couldn’t do anything about it because it would cost him thousands of dollars to get it done and that it was up to Centurylink to decide if they wanted to provide service.

Around November, Centurylink says they can get us in at the end of the month. End of the month comes and they then tell us the ground is too cold to put in the line they need.

Fast forward to the spring, we were almost done with our senior year and had gotten by without internet so we gave up. David and others were going to be there over the summer and he tweeted this on April 1st.

A ton of football players retweeted it and it kinda blew up. Century link came out two days later and we had high speed internet by April 5th

We had CenturyLink for our internet provider for years. It wasn’t blazing fast, but it was good enough for our purposes, and affordable.

Until a couple of years ago, when their service went to crap. Our connection would randomly go offline, I’d have to reboot the modem … and it just progressively got worse to where I was rebooting the modem 6 to 8 times or more every day.

They sent techs out, who just shrugged or said the problem must be in my wiring. They sent me upgraded modems, which actually worked worse than the older ones. Their tech support on the phone was next to worthless.

I finally dumped them late last year, after they ended up crediting me for almost two full months (because my service was that intermittent). Mediacom has been great, especially during this first discounted year. My plan was to play ImOn off against Mediacom to continue to get a good price next year, but unfortunately we are moving to a property that doesn’t have ImOn service. Guess I’ll threaten to cancel and see what Mediacom can offer …

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I did some time in insurance adjusting. It's amazing how often police reports don't support the events or are flat out wrong. We would barely give them any weight.

One claim we discussed was a woman who was hit by our driver. 4 way stop. She was walking her dog across the intersection from our driver.

Our driver hits the gas, goes through the intersection and nails her and her dog. We found the lady partially at fault because she didn't run.

I found a bike rider at fault because he was riding on the wrong side of the road (obviously) but he was holding a coffee and didn't have access to both hand breaks on the bike.

Insurance is some fun stuff.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We had CenturyLink for our internet provider for years. It wasn’t blazing fast, but it was good enough for our purposes, and affordable.

Until a couple of years ago, when their service went to crap. Our connection would randomly go offline, I’d have to reboot the modem … and it just progressively got worse to where I was rebooting the modem 6 to 8 times or more every day.

They sent techs out, who just shrugged or said the problem must be in my wiring. They sent me upgraded modems, which actually worked worse than the older ones. Their tech support on the phone was next to worthless.

I finally dumped them late last year, after they ended up crediting me for almost two full months (because my service was that intermittent). Mediacom has been great, especially during this first discounted year. My plan was to play ImOn off against Mediacom to continue to get a good price next year, but unfortunately we are moving to a property that doesn’t have ImOn service. Guess I’ll threaten to cancel and see what Mediacom can offer …

Reminds me of a phone installation. I started getting random calls for a different number. The phone company somehow screwed up the install and I had someone else's line.

They wanted to charge me to come fix their installation error. I thought that is one smooth way to make some cash. Screw up every install and then charge the customer to fix the mistake

Never had a land line since.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Centurylink: This will hurt recruiting. We'd better do something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron