Share awesome (not awesome) customer service experience for Friday entertainment

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Went to an Arby's several years ago on a Saturday afternoon. Asked for some roast beef sandwiches.

Kid behind the counter: we are all out of roast beef.

Me: you seriously ran out of roast beef on a Saturday afternoon?

Him: yep

Me: but this is Arby's, you're supposed to have the meats.

He did not find that amusing

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People have been known to get sick-slapped putting a phone in their face. Just saying.

He asked me to show him so I showed him at a normal distance (after walking four blocks to get it), then he still didn't believe me and ask to take my phone. I don't want to give my phone to a jerk calling me a liar, so yes I held it up to his face as he persisted. Everybody here would have wanted to slap this guy.

Apparently stealing from the customer is the CF way, who knew?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
State Farm is the worst so good call.

Even worse when one of their insured causes an accident. I had a small fishing boat fly off a car in front of me and strike my car on the interstate. Guy had it strapped to his roof with some twine. State Farm tried to say it was my fault for not driving a safe speed. Had to file an appeal to the state insurance board to get them to pay.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: NWICY

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
He asked me to show him so I showed him at a normal distance (after walking four blocks to get it), then he still didn't believe me and ask to take my phone. I don't want to give my phone to a jerk calling me a liar, so yes I held it up to his face as he persisted. Everybody here would have wanted to slap this guy.

Ironic, the discussion you're having in this thread is just about as asinine as the one you had with the server in your story. On lighter note, I like your Leland P avatar.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Had mediacom internet in the house I moved into right after college. Due a plethora of issues (some of them funny stories in their own right) I canceled the service in two months.

A month later I received a bill from them which I thought was odd, since I knew I had paid off what I owed, and it said that I owed $0.00. I figured it was a waste of a stamp and threw it away.

But I kept getting bills from them for $0.00. The final one came with a note saying "FINAL NOTICE" and a short letter about how it was about to be sent to collections. At this point, I was pissed because it would be just my luck that an oustanding balance of ZERO ******* DOLLARS would be sent to collections and put a significant dent in my credit rating. At this point I called customer service:

Me - "Hey I think you've made a mistake here. I keep getting these bills for nothing.
CS Rep - "Well sir you need to pay the outstanding balance on your account"
Me - "Are you looking at it? It says I owe zero dollars and zero cents"
CS Rep - "That's the amount you need to pay sir"
Me - "You're kidding me. Is this a phone tap? Do you realize what you're saying?"
CS Rep - "Yes sir I understand your frustration."

Enraged, I hung up. Wrote them a check for $0.00 and wrote **** YOU in the memo line. Never did see them try to cash it but I did quit getting the phantom bills.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008

Lighten up Francis. I was referring to JBo

1629494635507.gif

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Had dinner at the Iowa Stater last Wednesday evening. Gateway Center hotel was full-up, but got one of the last two rooms at the very nearby Radisson on a last-minute decision.

Booked online for a table (have to book 1/2 hr in advance online), assuming that the restaurant, like the hotel, would be packed. Went early, got right in, pleasantly surprised to see only two other diners and a quiet drink party at the bar.

Demetrius was the maitre d' and bartender (he makes a grand gin and tonic), and Maddy (Maddie?) was our server. They were both wonderful, efficient and friendly. We each had the bistro filet (a steal for $24 - how do they do it?), and, let me tell you, the roasted brussel sprouts that came with were out of this world. And yes, the corn chowder as a starter...lemme tell ya, you HAVE to go and order some of that creamy chowder, made with corn, and big chunks of ham and potatoes. Even in summer, it is just a superb dish.

Towards the end of our meal, in came a rather large party of folks from a conference, and they were having a great time. Both Demetrius and Maddie came to our table to apologize for the noise, but you know what? Those diners weren't talking that loudly nor pontificating about right-wing politics, and it was rather refreshing to overhear a group of professionals having a good time socializing.

The Radisson was comfortable, clean and quiet, but their bar and restaurant are closed due to Covid. No problem for us; we already knew we wanted to eat "next door".

All in all, a great evening!

You folks who live in or near Ames, why aren't you there every night? Then again, maybe you just go later...after Happy Hour.

kcbob79clone

Green Mountain customer service is the great! Have a DB smoker and when I first got it was having big temp differences from side to side. It was a basic one without WiFi. They sent me a new WiFi controller! This was awesome. Was still having issues and the heat shield had been updated from the model I had gotten. They sent me that to. Needless to say it was out of warranty but they took care of me. They also sent me another WiFi controller and and wiring harness to the fan assembly as the grill had gotten over 500 degrees a couple of years ago. I have a 2015 model. I was very pleased with what they did for me! Smoker gets used once or twice a week year round.
Agree on GMG

Reactions: cycloner29

Frog

May 6, 2021
Never worked service have you?

When I worked at Wendy's people got pissed off all the time when if they said that we made their burger wrong, we would ask for the old one back. It was always the people that came in with two people but only one of them ever ordered food. They always seemed to be under the impression that they should get two sandwiches for the price of one.
My daughter drove into the city to work at Little Caesars pizza when she was in HS. It wasn't far from SAU. She said sometimes guys she was positive were students would come in and get $5. grab and go pizzas and come back with one box with one piece left. They would say a piece of hair or something was in the box and demand money back or a new pizza. She was told when she started that this happens and to give certain coupons for it, $2.00 off next pizza. She said if customer went to what they called level 2 she was to give them a pizza off the bottom of the stack. If the manager or owner were working they would fight it. The owner didn't want the girls dealing with this. My wife thought this was nice. Sure, but the boys smiled when the girls were working and cashed in! My daughter said she fought it until it went near level 2. I am sure at that point the pizzas were flying out the door.

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That sounds like something that happened to someone I know. They share a name with someone on the no-fly list. Creates havoc for them all the time, they have to deal directly with an airline to get tickets.

That sucks for them. Dealing with an airline just to check in can be enough of a pain.

I've had no problems since so it apparently wasn't the issue for me, haha.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think the point is so what if they were lying, it costs almost nothing to the company and you'll lose more in potential revenue from turning off customers than you gain in stopping someone from stealing a dollar from your company.
Correct and then they go and tell their friends and message boards they post on about how **** they are.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Had been a State Farm customer for 35+ years. Goes back over 50 years if you count the parents. Everything was through State Farm, farm, home, car, you name it. Not the worlds biggest account but a nice account, paid on time, every year for over 50 years.

Son had an accident (18 yrs old) and it was his fault. No one hurt, his car totaled, not sure of damage on other car but not totaled.

2 months later we get a notice from State Farm that they are DOUBLING our premium AND they are back dating it 3 months so we owed money.

Called them thinking there must be a mistake, they assured me there was no mistake and they had 'modified' the increase considering our long, good history.

Buh Bye State Farm

We still get a call every freaking year from one of their reps wanting to bring us back 'home'. I ask them if they have looked over our account history - they usually pause and reply with something like 'oh, thats not so good'. I politely let them know they shouldn't waste their time with us.

I don't think there really is such a thing as "loyalty" to customers anymore. And it's not the agent's fault, or the underwriter's fault, it's just what the computer algorithm says. Leaving them was the right call!

• Winner
Reactions: ClonesFTW

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It was in a pretty affluent neighborhood, the odds that somebody pays ahead $40 and even tips ahead $6 in a wild scheme to steal a $3 coffee are astronomical.

Urbandale got me, I'm an evil person who should be happy to pay for things without receiving them. Someday I may reach his level of absolute perfection.
No you’re being an absolute moron about what seems to be a simple misunderstanding. You admitted to acting like a jerk. Acting like a jerk does not get you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the employee should have just given you the coffee but maybe their boss had been on them about people claiming extras stuff. Who the heck knows.

Just because your order got messed up doesn’t mean it is awful service. Sometimes crap happens.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No you’re being an absolute moron about what seems to be a simple misunderstanding. You admitted to acting like a jerk. Acting like a jerk does not get you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the employee should have just given you the coffee but maybe their boss had been on them about people claiming extras stuff. Who the heck knows.

Just because your order got messed up doesn’t mean it is awful service. Sometimes crap happens.

The dumb button has shown the error of my ways.

I'll start paying for things and not expecting to get them. What a peach you are.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
Took my wife's car into the mechanic last week for an oil change. I've been to this place before, and never had any issue.

When I drop it off, the conversation goes like this:

Me: "We've been noticing a rattle under the car when we're at highway speeds, could you take a look at that for us?"

Him: "Nope"

Me: "You can't take a look under the car when you have it up on the lift?"

Him: "Nope. We don't have time for that. If I fulfilled every little customer request that people ask for, I'd never get anything done."

This was the strangest interaction I've ever had with a mechanic. Usually they give you a list of 50 extra things you need to pay them to fix on your car. This time, I'm literally asking the guy to find something to fix and he says "nope."

I get that maybe they were busy that day, but the dude had no tact about it. He could've been a lot less abrasive and tried to work with me on a way to deal with my issue. Instead he just said "nope."

Guess I'll be going somewhere else next time.
this sounds like my recent experience at Deery in Ames. They are so backed up that it's showing in their manners.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The dumb button has shown the error of my ways.

I'll start paying for things and not expecting to get them. What a peach you are.
No one said you shouldn’t get what you paid for. You’re being dumb because you are expecting them to always believe you without having the receipt to show you paid for it. I’m sure it was a pain to walk 4 blocks to get the phone but if I have a receipt showing you didn’t order it and you don’t have one showing you did then I’m not sure what is ridiculous about asking for some proof.

This seems to be a perfect case of the customer isn’t necessarily always right and sometimes a business doesn’t want you to come back. Sometimes it isn’t either the businesses or customers fault but it’s just best to part ways.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron