Share awesome (not awesome) customer service experience for Friday entertainment

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Had been a State Farm customer for 35+ years. Goes back over 50 years if you count the parents. Everything was through State Farm, farm, home, car, you name it. Not the worlds biggest account but a nice account, paid on time, every year for over 50 years.

Son had an accident (18 yrs old) and it was his fault. No one hurt, his car totaled, not sure of damage on other car but not totaled.

2 months later we get a notice from State Farm that they are DOUBLING our premium AND they are back dating it 3 months so we owed money.

Called them thinking there must be a mistake, they assured me there was no mistake and they had 'modified' the increase considering our long, good history.

Buh Bye State Farm

We still get a call every freaking year from one of their reps wanting to bring us back 'home'. I ask them if they have looked over our account history - they usually pause and reply with something like 'oh, thats not so good'. I politely let them know they shouldn't waste their time with us.
I'm an insurance agent. Just sayin'.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I bought a new push mower from Lowes (troy-bilt I think) a few years ago. It was assembled and ready to go they said. The 5th time I used it I heard a loud pop and it died. I looked down and saw the rod hanging out of the side of the engine block. I grab my receipt and head back the the store figuring they'd exchange it. Nope they're going to send it in for repair, whatever I just need a mower. A month later I call the store wondering where the hell my mower is, it's still in the back of the store waiting to get sent out for repair. I blew a gasket. I ended up getting a husqvarna out of the freak out. Fast forward 3 months after that (4 months total) I get a call from the repair shop. He tells me there wasn't any oil in the engine and I'm like no **** it all ran out of the fist sized hole in the side of the engine block. So what do you want me to do with this thing? I don't care I got a different one and he can use it for a lawn ornament for all I care. I haven't spent a dime at Lowes since then.

Reactions: khardbored

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Being members at the Blank Park Zoo gets you a discount at other zoos. We went over to the Henry Doorley Zoo in Omaha and the guy at the ticket booth asked if we were members. Explained we were at local zoo and it he applied the discount. Some how this "discount" amounted to more than the normal price of admission posted on their giant entrance board. I questioned how this was possible and he assured it was correct. He continues to assure that its correct and eventually a manager comes over and also states its a correct charge. No one seems to understand that a "discount" isnt supposed to result in an upcharge. At this point i ask them to remove the "discount" and just charge me the normal rate because that would be saving me money. A Third person finally comes over and does something that results in the correct charges.

The kicker is the guy working the booth behind the glass stated that the return mic wasnt working so he couldnt hear me well. I was having to half yell at the guy which made things worse and got plenty of stares. Im sure i looked like a lunatic.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
How about a good customer service story?

Local pizza place that I frequent (okay, I go every friday, and almost always get the same thing) has an employee that's always killing it. Not only did he start recognizing me by sight and greeting me by name by the 3rd or 4th trip, they guy goes way above and beyond.

One trip I got there a little early (I order before I start my 45+min commute), and figured I'd just check to see if my food was ready early. It wasn't and I could tell they were obviously slammed with orders and were behind. Not a problem. I'll just go sit in my car and come back in like 15 minutes. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden the guy is actually knocking on my window with the order and a couple of free cans of soda because I had to "wait." Needless to say, they continue to get my business every friday (and 5* reviews on yelp and google)

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
How about a good customer service story?

Local pizza place that I frequent (okay, I go every friday, and almost always get the same thing) has an employee that's always killing it. Not only did he start recognizing me by sight and greeting me by name by the 3rd or 4th trip, they guy goes way above and beyond.

One trip I got there a little early (I order before I start my 45+min commute), and figured I'd just check to see if my food was ready early. It wasn't and I could tell they were obviously slammed with orders and were behind. Not a problem. I'll just go sit in my car and come back in like 15 minutes. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden the guy is actually knocking on my window with the order and a couple of free cans of soda because I had to "wait." Needless to say, they continue to get my business every friday (and 5* reviews on yelp and google)

did you give the guy a tip?

hey-lama-how-about-a-little-something-you-know-for-the-effort.jpg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I bought a pickup order online the other day and paid for a cup of coffee as part of it.

The coffee wasn't there and some employee refused to give me the cup of coffee that probably cost them 20 cents because he said it wasn't on the order. I asked him if he really thought I was lying to him to get a $3 cup of coffee added to a $40 order I'm paying for. I asked if he really thinks it's necessary for me to show some sort of proof?

The ticket wasn't even the paid total receipt, it was like the ticket the kitchen uses to cook the order that has no prices on it.

Finally I went out to the car (that was a few blocks away) and got my wife's phone to show him the order on his company's app. I showed him and he said he couldn't read it because it was too far away, needed to hold my phone to see it, I shoved it in his face and he got outraged that I shoved it in his face. Then just turned away and got my freaking coffee that I watched him pour.

Great customer service, accuse people of stealing a cup of coffee rather than just giving them a damn cup of coffee.

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I was young, but still remember this exchange between my father and a cashier at a restaurant. It definitely wasn't the grumpiest my dad has ever been at someone, but it still cracked us all up.

"What kind of pop would you like?"

"Mountain Dew"

"Sorry, we only have Coke products"

"Ok, Mello Yellow."

"Sorry, we're out of that."

"Ok, Diet Coke is fine."

"Ok, here's your cup. You can get the pop yourself right over there."

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Went to a Nashville Sounds (Brewers AAA affiliate) game while down there a couple weeks ago. I'm a sucker for ballpark BBQ nachos. Anyway I get in line after the top half of the first and it wasn't really all that long of a line to start. It is taking forever and every single employee was walking at a snail's pace, taking their sweet time and more focused on convo's with each other than the growing line. Luckily there was a big TV right by the stand and I could at least watch the two full innings that took place while I'm waiting.

Finally I get up to the front, ask for BBQ nachos.

"We're all out"
"They're literally making them right behind you"
"Oh..." *turns around and checks and doesn't say a word to anyone*
"Yeah they said the meat that's left has to be used for sandwiches instead"
"You're ******* kidding me" and I just walked away

Around the 5th inning I went the opposite way and found a different stand and got some really good BBQ nachos and jalapeno corn fritters that were incredible, so at least the story had a happy ending.
My nephew is the manager of the Nashville ballpark food/beverage. I need to make it down for a game. He says I get whatever I want for free the entire game. I will have to see what kind of damage I can do to their menu.

Of course, if the service is that slow, maybe he knows I would only get served 2-3 times during the game thus limiting the amount I could consume.

Reactions: wxman1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
3rd party travel agencies like Expedia or Travelocity all have bad customer service reputations, but last week it came to our attention that a trip we had planned would have to be changed in a significant way in order for us to attend my son's military graduation in November. I tried using Travelocity's Virtual Agent to change a flight date but it could not help with hotel and resort stays or our return flight. I got kicked out of the system and sent back to the beginning twice before asking for a live agent to assist. It took some time, but Milton, the agent we were connected with constantly through phone and chat, was able to move everything to an earlier date, same room, same resorts, same time flights and layovers--and even saved us $400 in the process over the trip I had originally planned.

I understand that this is not in keeping with the general theme of the thread.

Last edited:

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Years ago I was test driving a Ford Ranger, manual 5 speed. I took it out of town a couple of miles and when I came to a stop and started again it quit moving. I was able to get it off the road but it wouldn't go.
I called the dealership, before cell phones, and the salesperson came out and tried to get it going and he it wouldn't work for him either. We are driving back in his car when he said, "well, how did you like it?" I was shocked and didn't no what to say. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
A good interaction that sticks in my mind is driving the family across S. Dakota to Mt. Rushmore 10+ years ago. Stopped for gas and went inside to get a large fountain Diet Dew. It was around 100° that day and the young female clerk told me the pop was on the house. Made my day (and drive).