Share awesome (not awesome) customer service experience for Friday entertainment

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
About a year ago we signed up for Walmart's delivery service. We weren't really using our Costco membership since it's clear across town and Walmart's service is SO convenient. (Plus you get the benefit of their low prices without having to mingle with.. well, you know... Other people. We had an order scheduled for delivery between 7-8 last night when I got a call from the store and hilarity ensued.

"You need to come pick up your order by 8pm or it will be returned and you'll have to call customer service for a refund."

"This is a delivery order, sir."

"I know. That means you have to pick it up on the side of the store."

"No. That means you deliver it to my front porch."

"We don't deliver, sir. We never have."

"You've been delivering to my home at least twice a week for a year."

"We have?"

"Are you new there?"

"No. I've worked here a long time."

"Let me speak with your manager, please."

"There is no manager on duty. I'm in charge."

"Let me speak with ANYONE ELSE, please."

Other guy gets on phone and I explain situation.

"Yeah, your driver is loading your order right now. Will be there shortly."

"The other guy told me I had to come pick it up and that you don't deliver."

"Sorry about that. It's his first week."

"He's also telling customers that he's the one in charge, so you might want to have a chat with him!"

Groceries delivered 30 minutes later without further incident.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Took my wife's car into the mechanic last week for an oil change. I've been to this place before, and never had any issue.

When I drop it off, the conversation goes like this:

Me: "We've been noticing a rattle under the car when we're at highway speeds, could you take a look at that for us?"

Him: "Nope"

Me: "You can't take a look under the car when you have it up on the lift?"

Him: "Nope. We don't have time for that. If I fulfilled every little customer request that people ask for, I'd never get anything done."

This was the strangest interaction I've ever had with a mechanic. Usually they give you a list of 50 extra things you need to pay them to fix on your car. This time, I'm literally asking the guy to find something to fix and he says "nope."

I get that maybe they were busy that day, but the dude had no tact about it. He could've been a lot less abrasive and tried to work with me on a way to deal with my issue. Instead he just said "nope."

Guess I'll be going somewhere else next time.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Had been a State Farm customer for 35+ years. Goes back over 50 years if you count the parents. Everything was through State Farm, farm, home, car, you name it. Not the worlds biggest account but a nice account, paid on time, every year for over 50 years.

Son had an accident (18 yrs old) and it was his fault. No one hurt, his car totaled, not sure of damage on other car but not totaled.

2 months later we get a notice from State Farm that they are DOUBLING our premium AND they are back dating it 3 months so we owed money.

Called them thinking there must be a mistake, they assured me there was no mistake and they had 'modified' the increase considering our long, good history.

Buh Bye State Farm

We still get a call every freaking year from one of their reps wanting to bring us back 'home'. I ask them if they have looked over our account history - they usually pause and reply with something like 'oh, thats not so good'. I politely let them know they shouldn't waste their time with us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
One of many stories about the Indianola Taco Johns, who were famous for screwing up orders (they've gotten better).

Went through the drive through and ordered my stuff. As I pulled out, I checked it and it was missing something, so I went back to the speaker and told them what I was missing. They apologized and told me to pull to the side and that they would bring it right out. Five minutes later, I had to go inside to get what was missing because they had forgotten about me.

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Took my wife's car into the mechanic last week for an oil change. I've been to this place before, and never had any issue.

When I drop it off, the conversation goes like this:

Me: "We've been noticing a rattle under the car when we're at highway speeds, could you take a look at that for us?"

Him: "Nope"

Me: "You can't take a look under the car when you have it up on the lift?"

Him: "Nope. We don't have time for that. If I fulfilled every little customer request that people ask for, I'd never get anything done."

This was the strangest interaction I've ever had with a mechanic. Usually they give you a list of 50 extra things you need to pay them to fix on your car. This time, I'm literally asking the guy to find something to fix and he says "nope."

I get that maybe they were busy that day, but the dude had no tact about it. He could've been a lot less abrasive and tried to work with me on a way to deal with my issue. Instead he just said "nope."

Guess I'll be going somewhere else next time.

Odd. They usually try to upsell me on something they say I NEED to do immediately.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Went to a Nashville Sounds (Brewers AAA affiliate) game while down there a couple weeks ago. I'm a sucker for ballpark BBQ nachos. Anyway I get in line after the top half of the first and it wasn't really all that long of a line to start. It is taking forever and every single employee was walking at a snail's pace, taking their sweet time and more focused on convo's with each other than the growing line. Luckily there was a big TV right by the stand and I could at least watch the two full innings that took place while I'm waiting.

Finally I get up to the front, ask for BBQ nachos.

"We're all out"
"They're literally making them right behind you"
"Oh..." *turns around and checks and doesn't say a word to anyone*
"Yeah they said the meat that's left has to be used for sandwiches instead"
"You're ******* kidding me" and I just walked away

Around the 5th inning I went the opposite way and found a different stand and got some really good BBQ nachos and jalapeno corn fritters that were incredible, so at least the story had a happy ending.

Reactions: NWICY

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
One of many stories about the Indianola Taco Johns, who were famous for screwing up orders (they've gotten better).

Went through the drive through and ordered my stuff. As I pulled out, I checked it and it was missing something, so I went back to the speaker and told them what I was missing. They apologized and told me to pull to the side and that they would bring it right out. Five minutes later, I had to go inside to get what was missing because they had forgotten about me.

Used to run through the Taco Johns in Waverly at lunch on occasion. I had been there 3-4 times before they got my order right and like 6 of the first 8 were wrong. They always gave me the right number of items, just the wrong ones and I honestly probably went there more than I would have otherwise because I enjoyed the surprise.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I once purchased a bunch of lumber from Home Depot. The guy helping me told me there was no way it was going to fit in my car and was quite condescending about it. I made sure he saw me fit all of it in my car. Proved him wrong.

Another time, I was purchasing the hardware that goes in the back of the toilet so I could replace it.
Checker: Looks like your husband has a project.
Me: Nope, I'm going to be doing it.
Checker: Oh, are you single?
Me: Nope. But I can do this myself.
Checker: You should really leave those kinds of things to men.
Me: *Blank Stare*

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I once purchased a bunch of lumber from Home Depot. The guy helping me told me there was no way it was going to fit in my car and was quite condescending about it. I made sure he saw me fit all of it in my car. Proved him wrong.

Another time, I was purchasing the hardware that goes in the back of the toilet so I could replace it.

hmm, I think you should have used the dagger stare instead

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

There really needs to be a facepalm reaction option, because that was literally my reaction reading this. Was the checker male or female?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Used to run through the Taco Johns in Waverly at lunch on occasion. I had been there 3-4 times before they got my order right and like 6 of the first 8 were wrong. They always gave me the right number of items, just the wrong ones and I honestly probably went there more than I would have otherwise because I enjoyed the surprise.

The funniest part about it was that, when I went inside, I didn't have to say anything. Just gave them my WTF are you doing look and they grabbed the bag and handed it to me

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
One of my pet peeves is when my groceries are bagged poorly.
I worked at Hy-Vee in high school and our shift managers drilled it into our heads that there's a right and wrong way to bag groceries. Frozen food goes together. Crushable food is bagged separately. Raw meat is always in a separate bag, and never ever is to be put in the same bag as ready to eat food, because of the contamination risk. There were others as well, but the point is that they were enforced. These were the rules and you did not break them!

I don't want to sound like a crotchety old man, but these baggers these days are ****ing terrible. I get that bagging groceries is not skilled labor, and it doesn't pay very well, but **** does it piss me off. I usually let it slide and don't say anything, but when I see some numbnuts about to put raw chicken in with my bananas, I will speak up and ask them, in what I feel is a courteous and calm tone, to kindly bag the meat separately.

My wife, @Angie , tells me that these interactions appear less courteous from her perspective, with me possessing all of the warmth and understanding of a snarling pitbull.

The way I see it, she should appreciate my "directness" in the matter, every time she eats a piece of fruit and doesn't end up spending hours in the bathroom with salmonella poisoning.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
One of my pet peeves is when my groceries are bagged poorly.
I worked at Hy-Vee in high school and our shift managers drilled it into our heads that there's a right and wrong way to bag groceries. Frozen food goes together. Crushable food is bagged separately. Raw meat is always in a separate bag, and never ever is to be put in the same bag as ready to eat food, because of the contamination risk. There were others as well, but the point is that they were enforced. These were the rules and you did not break them!

I don't want to sound like a crotchety old man, but these baggers these days are ****ing terrible. I get that bagging groceries is not skilled labor, and it doesn't pay very well, but **** does it piss me off. I usually let it slide and don't say anything, but when I see some numbnuts about to put raw chicken in with my bananas, I will speak up and ask them, in what I feel is a courteous and calm tone, to kindly bag the meat separately.

My wife, @Angie , tells me that these interactions appear less courteous from her perspective, with me possessing all of the warmth and understanding of a snarling pitbull.

The way I see it, she should appreciate my "directness" in the matter, every time she eats a piece of fruit and doesn't end up spending hours in the bathroom with salmonella poisoning.

You won’t have to deal with this problem for much longer.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010

Do you also mow?