Sequels that DON'T disappoint

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I personally wouldn't count Silence of the Lambs. Hannibal Lecter has been adapted in so many different movies, often out order from the books and its never really clear if the movies are supposed to have anything to do with each other or just be stand-alone stories.

Yeah, there had technically been a "Red Dragon" movie before SOTL, the one with Gil Grissom from CSI, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the one with Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'll also throw out the sequels in the Bourne series. The second and third ones are pretty darned good.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You thought Dogma was bad? I love that movie.

I have a love-hate with Jason Lee. He was not great in that movie. It was much better than Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, though. That was just terrible.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, there had technically been a "Red Dragon" movie before SOTL, the one with Gil Grissom from CSI, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the one with Ed Norton and Ralph Fiennes.

Yea, I think Hannibal Lecter is more like a non-public domain Dracula. If you saw a new Dracula movie coming out next month, you wouldn't assume it shared a canon with every other Dracula movie that ever existed, it's just a popularly adapted character.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yea, I think Hannibal Lecter is more like a non-public domain Dracula. If you saw a new Dracula movie coming out next month, you wouldn't assume it shared a canon with every other Dracula movie that ever existed, it's just a popularly adapted character.

Yeah, that's fair. I honestly stopped reading the books after Hannibal Rising - I read the first four, but I think there's been at least one or two since? I like Thomas Harris, but it's getting a little one-note.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You thought Dogma was bad? I love that movie.

Dogma was good, but it's awfully ham-fisted. I think Kevin Smith's biggest problem as a filmmaker is that he seems to be unable to achieve any level of subtlety in his movies. He doesn't seem to trust his audience to pick up on the things he's trying to say, so he basically just blurts them out. He's like the guy who tells you a joke and then feels like he needs to explain the punch line to you to make sure you got it. That said, I enjoy his movies, but I can't help but feel like they could be better than they are.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, that's fair. I honestly stopped reading the books after Hannibal Rising - I read the first four, but I think there's been at least one or two since? I like Thomas Harris, but it's getting a little one-note.

I've never read any of the books, so you got me beat.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I don't want to be the "the books are better" guy, because everyone hates that guy. But for Thomas Harris, even with as good as the movies are, the books are better.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

They're good. I mean, it's not Dante or anything, but they're pretty solidly written for modern literature, very suspenseful. I like them even better than the movies.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
They're good. I mean, it's not Dante or anything, but they're pretty solidly written for modern literature, very suspenseful. I like them even better than the movies.

I'm sure they are, but I've got such a backlog of stuff I want to read that I'm never going to backtrack to a book when I've already seen a movie of that story. I know it's a little silly, but you've got to start drawing lines somewhere.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm sure they are, but I've got such a backlog of stuff I want to read that I'm never going to backtrack to a book when I've already seen a movie of that story. I know it's a little silly, but you've got to start drawing lines somewhere.

No, I totally get it. I hate reading books after I've already seen the movie, I always try and do it in the reverse.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I have a love-hate with Jason Lee. He was not great in that movie. It was much better than Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, though. That was just terrible.

mad%20scientists%201343.jpg

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I think Lincoln was a pretty decent sequel to Lincoln Vampire Slayer, although it may not have topped it.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I don't want to be the "the books are better" guy, because everyone hates that guy. But for Thomas Harris, even with as good as the movies are, the books are better.

Sometimes the words just have to be said. For the latest example of a screenplay written by someone who just doesn't get it, see "Ender's Game."

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

See, and he was good there! That's probably the favorite Disney movie in our household, and he's pretty awesome in it. Maybe because we don't have to see him making the faces? I don't know!

Sometimes the words just have to be said. For the latest example of a screenplay written by someone who just doesn't get it, see "Ender's Game."

Was it terrible? I've been debating seeing it. I'm terrified it's going to just destroy the book. I had heard they were going to mix together Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow - did they end up throwing Bean's childhood story in there, too?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm currently reading Ender's Game for the first time just so I can be properly disappointed by the movie.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Do all the Godzilla movies count? They're all pretty solid.

I'm talking about the rubber suit ones, by the way.

I don't know how The Godfather: Part II or The Empire Strikes Back wasn't the first 76 posts in this thread.

In general, though, from above, the best were...
The Road Warrior / Beyond Thunderdome (actually a solid trilogy)
Army of Darkness
The Dark Knight
The Wrath of Khan
For a Few Dollars More / The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Toy Story 2 / 3

Help Support Us

Become a patron