Sending love from Chicago: Des Moines, you're da best

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'd take Des Moines weather over places like Chicago or Detroit. Basically that Rust Belt area. They have bigger snows, more cloudy days, more rain, and the highs and lows are about the same.

Des Moines is an awesome city. It's big enough to have top notch amenities, but not so big that it's just a suburban wasteland. A lot of the neighborhoods have their own individual character, and it really provides a surprising amount of diversity in a reasonably sized area.
I don't disagree with the following places you listed, but I stack Des Moines up against Knoxville, TN, Lexington, KY, Columbia, MO and Des Moines is the bottom of that list. I don't know if they are fair comparisons but they all are about the same size and offer "top-notch" amenities.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I used to defend Ames as a decent college town, but it really isn't. Once I've visited a lot of other campus areas ours really sucks.

Campus Town used to have a cool/nostalgic college town atmosphere but that has went to **** since the mid 2000's.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't disagree with the following places you listed, but I stack Des Moines up against Knoxville, TN, Lexington, KY, Columbia, MO and Des Moines is the bottom of that list. I don't know if they are fair comparisons but they all are about the same size and offer "top-notch" amenities.

Those 3 cities are also home to large public universities. I lived on the east coast for 4 years in a certain area that may or may not be home to an unnamed school that knocked off the 2 seeded Cyclones. Once I moved back to DSM/Iowa I had a different appreciation for what the city had to offer and appreciated the slower paced. This was also back in 05 before court ave was revitalized and before West Glenn took off.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Des Moines blows Columbia out of the water. I've never been to Knoxville or Lexington, but both are large-ish towns that also host the major university in their respective states.

• Agree
Reactions: johnstoncy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Campus Town used to have a cool/nostalgic college town atmosphere but that has went to **** since the mid 2000's.

That's precisely the atmosphere people dislike when they bag on Ames. I loved it then too, but it's definitely a personal preference that's far from universal. Most people like something flashier, I've found. Campustown doesn't seem to have enough amenities given the size of the student body, but that is changing rapidly. That whole area is being developed heavily. Downtown Ames is bustling and has a bunch of cool bars, restaurants, and shops that aren't completely college crowd.

IMO, Ames has changed rapidly in recent years. A lot of the really laid back vibe I loved in college (03-08) is gone, but it's becoming what the people who wanted shinier, flashier, and nicer have always clamored for. And it's definitely not run down or dumpy.

I've been to a lot of college towns. I've been through every current and former Big 12 town, and attended games at all of them except CU, TTU, and OU. I've been to about half of the Big 10 college towns too. By and large, I found most of them to be fun, vibrant communities. There's a pretty big variance of amenities based on the other things going on in the town, but Ames completely fits in to that vibe. The only towns I found to be not-fun, and aesthetically lacking were Waco, Lubbock, and West Lafayette, Indiana.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Des Moines blows Columbia out of the water. I've never been to Knoxville or Lexington, but both are large-ish towns that also host the major university in their respective states.
We were talking about the weather and similar size towns that had better weather. Outside of weather, I would agree Des Moines is better than Columbia.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Those 3 cities are also home to large public universities. I lived on the east coast for 4 years in a certain area that may or may not be home to an unnamed school that knocked off the 2 seeded Cyclones. Once I moved back to DSM/Iowa I had a different appreciation for what the city had to offer and appreciated the slower paced. This was also back in 05 before court ave was revitalized and before West Glenn took off.
I lived in Philly and have an appreciation for the Midwest too. Des Moines is a great area, but I dislike the weather.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We were talking about the weather and similar size towns that had better weather. Outside of weather, I would agree Des Moines is better than Columbia.

I'd agree with that. No part of Iowa has what most people consider good weather.

I think the majority of folks prefer to not have much seasonality. I personally enjoy it, but not this year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ames is definitely strange, asit seems more geared toward families and retirees than college kids or recent grads. You wouldn't think a town so dominated by a university would be that way. I think it's a great town and the campus itself is terrific. However campustown isn't good. Not dumpy anymore, but its not too interesting either.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wonder if the author is setting himself up for a consultant job with a presidential candidate for the Iowa Caucus?

Also, interesting that the article is about Des Moines, but the photo is from Ledges State Park. Do Des Moines people really like Boone County that much?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Coming off a recent 2 week work trip being in Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, and Dallas/FW - one of the best things about Des Moines is the traffic (or lack thereof). I have no idea how people sit in traffic for 30-60 minutes each way just to go a handful of miles in these other cities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron