Sean Shaw Jr flew under the recruiting radar

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The petitions must be super easy because I’m scrolling thru the 2019 draft and tons of guys were in college only 3 years via playing 3 or 2 plus a redshirt.
I forgot about TJ being a RS sophomore. I thought at least at one time the NFL shied away from letting RS sophomores go unless extenuating circumstances but evidently that isn't true.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Receiving corps in good shape to absorb the losses with Shaw, Milton and Scates, and Porter coming off redshirt. Plus Allen-and I assume Kolar is not yet ready to turn pro?

Daniel Jackson was selected to play in the Jan. 4th All American game in San Antonio. Just keeps getting brighter.

I still think Scates is going to be special as well. Milton, Scates and Shaw are going to do just fine. Be curious as to how Wilson progresses.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
NFL Draft rules:

<<PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

Players are draft-eligible only in the year after the end of their college eligibility.

Before the draft, NFL Player Personnel staff members confirm the eligibility of draft prospects; that means researching the college backgrounds of approximately 3,000 college players each year. They work with NCAA compliance departments at schools across the country to verify the information for all prospects. They also check the rosters of college all-star games to make sure that only draft-eligible players play in the games.

The Player Personnel staff also review all of the applications submitted by players who want to enter the draft early. Underclassmen have until seven days following the NCAA National Championship Game to declare their intentions to do so. For the 2017 NFL Draft, 106 undergraduates received NFL approval to enter the draft, as did 13 players who graduated without using up all their college eligibility.

Once players have become draft-eligible or have declared their intention to enter the draft early, the Player Personnel staff work with teams, agents and schools to clarify the players’ status. They also work with agents, schools, scouts and teams to enforce league rules for Pro Days (where NFL scouts come to colleges to observe prospects) and private workouts.

During the draft, Player Personnel staff confirm that all players who are drafted are draft-eligible.>>

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Charlie is at least getting noticed by NFL draft-niks. Thor does good work on Rotoworld and had this to say before the season even started:

I DM’d an NFL agent about Iowa State TE Chase Allen back in May. He didn’t want to talk about Allen, he wanted to talk about his teammate Charlie Kolar: “All three of [ISU’s] TEs will at very least be on a 90, possibly all make a 53,” he responded. “Kolar may be a more complete TE [than Chase Allen] actually." …

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/top-10-2020-nfl-draft-te-rankings?page=1

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think you don't know how it works and should probably stop posting before making yourself look any dumber. Redshirt sophomores declare quite a bit
Good day to you too sir.

I forgot about TJ being a RS sophomore. I thought at least at one time the NFL shied away from letting RS sophomores go unless extenuating circumstances but evidently that isn't true.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I think Jirehl will be a huge contributor next year as well. And Lang is only a sophomore right?
I think Lang is a great back, but given the talent of Hall and Brock, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he transfers out at the end of the year

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is it just me or has Shaw visibly put on more muscle from the start of the season until now? I feel like I noticed his arms looking a lot more bulky than when we first saw him

I'd bet on Lang staying. His circumstances didn't give him a lot of options. That builds loyalty. If he's getting touches I think he'll stay.

• Agree

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not sure if this would factor in at all, but he’s an incredibly smart guy who comes from a family of smart people. Getting his degree could be a factor that plays in our favor and makes him come back for his fourth year here.

If he's a smart guy, he'd see what happened to Tua last weekend and know that he's always one play away from devastating injury. If anybody has a good draft profile and they stay in school they are foolish but that's just me.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If he's a smart guy, he'd see what happened to Tua last weekend and know that he's always one play away from devastating injury. If anybody has a good draft profile and they stay in school they are foolish but that's just me.
That’s the thing. He’s a really really, smart guy—and may decide that an NFL career may not be worth the risk of concussions.

I had a buddy a few years back who was offered a million dollar salary as he finished his PhD in a niche specialty. No injury risk there—but he did like to race motorcycles. :rolleyes:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have nothing to base my opinion off either, but I think Kolar stays as well. I think he could be a first round pick if he'd stay, rather he'd be in the 3rd to 4th round if he'd leave this year.

He's on award lists and such but Kolar is kind of a best kept secret type it seems.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Hard to say Kolar is underused when he's putting up the kind of numbers he is as a TE. He was getting a lot of attention in the middle of the field against Texas, and it seemed like Purdy was opting to go outside because of it. Defenses know that he's often Purdy's first read.

• Agree

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have nothing to base my opinion off either, but I think Kolar stays as well. I think he could be a first round pick if he'd stay, rather he'd be in the 3rd to 4th round if he'd leave this year.
One more year with Brock and he’s a 1st rounder and Brock will be heisman candidate throwing to a Mackey winner

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron