Sean Shaw Jr flew under the recruiting radar

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm worried he might go this year...

I guess it's a possibility, but for all his production this year there hasn't been much buzz about him leaving early. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he'll give it some thought but at this point I'd expect him to be in Ames for at least one more season after this.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In general there are a lot of tall athletic guys in the TE and WR rooms, and there are more coming. Campbell just seems to be able to find guys that are under the radar, but ready to play. Some of the guys that have played as freshman looked more like projects when they were signed.

• Winner
Reactions: isubb79

chiroclone88

Nov 14, 2006
I'm not a robot
Wilson hasn't had a lot of production but he plays as much as any of those guys except Milton, he could be a factor, plus, this staff has shown it likes GT WR's. Wouldn't shock me to see another one next year. The success of Pettway and Murdock should be a selling point to any potential transfers.
Glad we didn't get this Milton:
upload_2019-11-18_18-21-9.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-18_18-20-36.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-18_18-20-36.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
He made a helluva grab on that curl route, he extended and yanked the ball out of the air and pulled it to him a split second before the Texas defender would’ve picked it. Really nice catch.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
IMO the smart move is making millions now and getting the degree later.

Agree. Why risk millions to play a year of college ball only to get injured? You can come back and finish your degree any time, which many people end up doing.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
For those worried about Kolar going pro after this year, It is very unlikely it will happen. See the NFL's rules:
https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I think Hall and Shaw have the potential to be our next Montgomery & Butler duo. Lot of similarities in how they play, Hall has really taken a grip on the RB job like DM did in the 2nd half of his freshman season and Shaw has that same tall build as Butler at 6'6" that with another 10-15lbs on his frame might be that big deep threat Purdy can just air it out to where only he can get to it like Butler was.

Still wish we'd run some more plays for Kolar too. 6'6" 252 lb TE that can catch the ball, just seems like some games we don't target him enough. Good to see him get 5 catches against Texas but the week before he only got 2 and seemed like he wasn't being used much in the passing game then obviously Purdy didn't see him wide open on the 2 point attempt.

Very excited though with the underclassmen at skill positions contributing right away in the Campbell era. We rarely would not redshirt true freshmen under previous staffs and even then it took a lot of our better recruits until about their junior year to really develop into playmakers.

Had a Texas fan sitting behind me Saturday. He was asking why we didn't throw to Kolar more often. Said he was the best TE he has seen in a long time and if he was coaching he would throw to him on every series at least once. Teams would have to double or triple cover him and then the running game with our freshman RB (Hall) could run wild. I found that an interesting take from an opposing fan.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Chase seems to has some deceitful size that the NFL may be seeking as well. I think the league may hold off on drafting TE's in 1st round next year, seems like Hockenson hasn't been playing very well lately.

If he had stayed healthy Chase has all the tools to be a NFL TE. He'll get a workout one way or another if not eventually work his way onto a practice squad or NFL roster based off his size and skill alone.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had a Texas fan sitting behind me Saturday. He was asking why we didn't throw to Kolar more often. Said he was the best TE he has seen in a long time and if he was coaching he would throw to him on every series at least once. Teams would have to double or triple cover him and then the running game with our freshman RB (Hall) could run wild. I found that an interesting take from an opposing fan.

Kolar is underused for sure. I remember when we hired Campbell they made a point that his teams at Toledo used the TE a lot so thought after a few recruiting classes we'd see an offense that throws to the TE more. The past 2 years we have had some big plays from the TE spot but in a few key situations this year you wonder why Kolar's number was not called more often.