Scalping tickets...................

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
As a post-student season ticket holder for 8 years now, it's so much nicer that your ticket is actually worth close to the value that's printed on the ticket. For TOO MANY years, it was embarrassing trying to sell a ticket that had a face value of $60 knowing you may get $10-$20 on gameday, if you were lucky.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
As a post-student season ticket holder for 8 years now, it's so much nicer that your ticket is actually worth close to the value that's printed on the ticket. For TOO MANY years, it was embarrassing trying to sell a ticket that had a face value of $60 knowing you may get $10-$20 on gameday, if you were lucky.

Very true.

Paul Rhoads told you this was going to happen.

View attachment 15597

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've never actually sold a ticket that I can remember. Too many times over the years I was the beneficiary of an extra ticket or two at our tailgate that I feel I should pay it forward and give them away when I have an extra(s). I'm not able to donate beaucoup bucks though, either, so I'm not talking about nearly the scratch some of you are.

I can see both sides of it. I am not a huge fan of the professional scalpers at the games, that's for sure.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Or plan better and buy from the ticket office and then you don't have to deal with people "ripping you off."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Somebody sold two Club tickets and a parking pass for $350. For a game like this, I think it is a reasonable price. And I'll bet if we do the math, we will find that the seller lost money on these tickets.

On Saturday, some of us might be willing to pay much more to be able to go inside the club area in a storm!

I got seats in that section once. Got to sit across the aisle from Jake Sullivan. They even have heat lamps over the seats.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I've never actually sold a ticket that I can remember. Too many times over the years I was the beneficiary of an extra ticket or two at our tailgate that I feel I should pay it forward and give them away when I have an extra(s). I'm not able to donate beaucoup bucks though, either, so I'm not talking about nearly the scratch some of you are.

I can see both sides of it. I am not a huge fan of the professional scalpers at the games, that's for sure.

Yeah I have seen lots of those professional guys at the games. How can they possibly make $$? Are people selling tickets to them at way below face value? We talked to one guy last year, he was from LA, and comes to Ames every friday just to broker tickets on gameday.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah I have seen lots of those professional guys at the games. How can they possibly make $$? Are people selling tickets to them at way below face value? We talked to one guy last year, he was from LA, and comes to Ames every friday just to broker tickets on gameday.

Below value... and sometimes it wouldnt surprise me if they have a deal worked out directly with the AD.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Almost all of those guys are at Twins/Vikes games as well. I talked to one of them last fall because I had seen him on the way to Target Field the day before.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
In 2010, I couldn't get face value for 4 tickets (lower west side, sec. 5) to the Nebraska game!?!?! And I threw in the parking pass. If/when I sell in the future and get more than face value, I figure it's the cosmos evening out.

In before,"why did you have to sell those?" - funeral, you can't schedule around those...

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

Interesting. He has to making some good money to fly out and probably stay in a hotel a couple nights. I wouldn't be surprised if he is clearing several thousand for working a couple days.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What's your hypothesis? I just don't see the upside for the AD.

For some games, it might be beneficial to sell tickets below face without officially lowering the price, especially for some of the lower quality seats.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The out-of-town-guys (like the one with the Cal hat) ride bikes around the parking lots asking for extra tickets. I can't imagine giving my extra ones to them, but somebody must be doing it. They don't even seem to pretend like they care about the game and can't be offering much for the tickets.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Corey is a good guy and I am sure gets some secondary from the department.
All schools do it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For some games, it might be beneficial to sell tickets below face without officially lowering the price, especially for some of the lower quality seats.

It gives the AD another distribution channel to sell tickets. It probably isn't the most profitable for the AD as selling but it helps get more tickets out.

Could be. When I'm going by and they are working out a deal with a Cyclone fan I always make sure to remind them that there are still a lot of tickets available at the box office and the money goes to the AD.

Yeah, I'm that guy...

EDIT: Of course I will keep my mouth shut on Saturday. :smile:

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Could be. When I'm going by and they are working out a deal with a Cyclone fan I always make sure to remind them that there are still a lot of tickets available at the box office and the money goes to the AD.

Yeah, I'm that guy...

EDIT: Of course I will keep my mouth shut on Saturday. :smile:

I have no idea and I am just speculating but for a guy to fly from LA, he has to be making some dough to make it worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has close to $1k in expenses unless he has some nice friends that will pick him up from the airport and he stays with them over the weekend.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Below value... and sometimes it wouldnt surprise me if they have a deal worked out directly with the AD.

Sounds like we are taking seriously an idea that was just conjecture. Does anyone have any evidence to support the idea of the AD making a deal with scalpers to sell extra tickets?

The only way that I know of these guys getting tickets is from the ticket shops that buy season tickets and the guys who ride bikes around the parking lots trying to sweep up extras.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
I see no problem paying a higher price for a ticket. Supply and demand still determines price. How many would have paid higher ticket prices to see Okie State last year. The memory will outlast the ticket price.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have no idea and I am just speculating but for a guy to fly from LA, he has to be making some dough to make it worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has close to $1k in expenses unless he has some nice friends that will pick him up from the airport and he stays with them over the weekend.

These guys probably take in a pro game on Sunday also.