Saw Dune

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He said he always saw it as a 3-movie arc with Dune pt 1, then pt 2, then Messiah, where he would like to direct all 3. Past that, he has said he would move on. He also said he sees everything after Messiah a bit too weird and unfilmable.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch god emperor with a ten foot pole as a director haha Children I could see someone trying to take on, but still not worth it for Denis imo

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
View attachment 91252

I wonder if I can get one of these on amazon and leave it on my desk at work. Fun to ask a co-worker to put their hand in there.

surprise-whats-in-the-box.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Couldn't agree more. I think you nailed it.

also, I heard Denis wants to do make to at least Dune Messiah. Which could be a lot of fun to allow him more of a runway/tapestry with these characters and stories
He said he always saw it as a 3-movie arc with Dune pt 1, then pt 2, then Messiah, where he would like to direct all 3. Past that, he has said he would move on. He also said he sees everything after Messiah a bit too weird and unfilmable.

A three-film arc of Dune and Messiah would be a nice way to go about it. That is a lot of time and effort to commit to as a filmmaker, even if I am sure this was a labor of love for him.

I do not think Children is unfilmable. The miniseries version of it was actually very good, better than the original miniseries, despite the low production values. But I can see doing the whole Herbert trilogy as four or five films is going to take a lot out of anybody attempting it.

God Emperor is my second-favorite book in the series after the original, but I would completely agree that is unfilmable. That is more of a stage play than a potential screenplay for a Hollywood blockbuster that needs to make $500 million at the gate to turn a profit.

Reactions: srjclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
A three-film arc of Dune and Messiah would be a nice way to go about it. That is a lot of time and effort to commit to as a filmmaker, even if I am sure this was a labor of love for him.

I do not think Children is unfilmable. The miniseries version of it was actually very good, better than the original miniseries, despite the low production values. But I can see doing the whole Herbert trilogy as four or five films is going to take a lot out of anybody attempting it.

God Emperor is my second-favorite book in the series after the original, but I would completely agree that is unfilmable. That is more of a stage play than a potential screenplay for a Hollywood blockbuster that needs to make $500 million at the gate to turn a profit.

I'm curious as I have not read the books, but once you throw streaming series into play, which they already are, does that change your thoughts?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm curious as I have not read the books, but once you throw streaming series into play, which they already are, does that change your thoughts?

God Emperor would be a good fit for the streaming services, at least as their business model works right now. It would not require much of a budget for effects (no huge space battles, mostly just dialogue), it could have a completely new cast given everybody but Leto II is long dead, and its long and discursive content would work well in that setting. HBO is good at stuff like that, too, with for example Chernobyl.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It isn't just your TV. Don't know what it is, but kind of like director Christopher Nolan, Denis Villeneuve is also notorious in his movies for having an atrociously bad sound mix, where action is super loud and dialogue is hard to hear. Nolan's recent Tenet movie was maybe the worst example ever, as that movie was WIDELY criticized for its atrocious sound mix, where you could barely hear any of the dialogue, much less discern what anyone was saying. I saw Dune in a Dolby theater where the sound should be as good as anywhere, and while it wasn't Tenet bad, hearing some of the dialogue was still pretty bad. Again, both Nolan and Villeneuve are two of the best most auteur directors out there, but for some odd reason keep producing film after film with horrible sound mixes. Even all the critics roast them for it and they've both yet to correct their issues.

On a similar but separate note, Hans Zimmer's score was pretty good in the film.

I wish somebody could just figure out a way to flatten the sound. I have a thing on my TV which will level the sound, but then there is a delay in the sound. Like the lips don't line up, the sound is slightly behind the visuals. Yeah it may not be what the filmmaker intended, but if the alternative is me watching it on my phone with my headphones in so I can actually understand what people are saying or watching it with subtitles I'm sorry that's way more stupid.

Reactions: Triggermv

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
SIAP but a character that is pretty crucial to the books is the person that takes over "ownership" of Caladan. Hasimir Fenring. We don't really ever go back to Caladan for anything, but I believe the idea is that when a House is given a new planet, a similar step is taken to place a smaller house or a known confidant of the Emperor as it's leader.
These characters (Count and Lady Fenring) from the book were completely cut out of the 1984 movie, but I really hope their part of the story is told in these ones.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
These characters (Count and Lady Fenring) from the book were completely cut out of the 1984 movie, but I really hope their part of the story is told in these ones.
They're an interesting storyline and give more layers to the Bene Gesserit and the Kwisatz Haderach, but I'd say they are an easier cut from the story than most others who have pretty prominent roles in the imperium

Reactions: harimad

Help Support Us

Become a patron