Sam Richardson, Act II

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This is almost exaclty what I was going to post too.

I just hope Sam Richardson is "the guy" going into spring football and into next season too. I have not liked these "QB Battles" every single year not only all spring and summer, but now even during the season as well. It is not good for the chemistry of the team IMO.

Sam is better than JB, I think almost everyone can agree on that. So unless Rohach is the next coming of Seneca Wallace or Sage Rosenfels, there shouldn't be a QB competition this next year I hope?

Good question. Someone should start a poll. Seriously though, you're 100% right about team chemistry. It'd be a world of difference for the offense if one guy (provided he's capable and consistent) got all or most of the reps in the spring practices and fall camp.

cysdude

Dec 21, 2011
Good question. Someone should start a poll. Seriously though, you're 100% right about team chemistry. It'd be a world of difference for the offense if one guy (provided he's capable and consistent) got all or most of the reps in the spring practices and fall camp.
Even on little things like the zone read plays. taking all the reps will give more chemistry and make that go a lot smoother. Also the quick little timing patterns would be there with more consistency. That doesn't even count the confidence factor of an offense being able to lock in and know this is the guy and not have to restart every 2-3 weeks

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Sam played fine. Not bad, not great. Did enough for us to win from the QB position.

Our receivers are horrid. No separation. No consistency. Young yet again was completely absent. Had a great game a few weeks back and then nothing. West too. I just don't get how that entire unit can let the program down for such a long period of time.

Don't like to down grade anyone, but you are right on. I only saw the second half and there where 3 or 4 dropped passes, one for a critical first down the other for a TD. Sam did just fine when I was watching. Not great, but certainly good enough to win the game.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Man I gotta say what impresses me in his demeanor. He is one CALM cat! No scrambling around with head cut off, chills in the pocket, can adjust people and plays at the line even when the play clock is winding down. COOL is the word.

Kinda makes me wonder if this is why the coaches missed his ability this year. He wasnt frantic enough in practice?

Cool and CALM.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Don't like to down grade anyone, but you are right on. I only saw the second half and there where 3 or 4 dropped passes, one for a critical first down the other for a TD. Sam did just fine when I was watching. Not great, but certainly good enough to win the game.

Most of them are not horrid. What they are is a group of #2 and #3 WRs without a #1 to open things up for them and in a scheme that is easy to defend.

I would say they are the weakest part of our offense when Sam is in there. Unfortunately there are not a lot of #1 type WR in Iowa. Interestingly we run an offense that magnifies the importance of WR play. Getting Lazard from Urbandale could be a program changer.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Sam should be the number one QB heading into next season period unless Rohach steps up more than him in spring ball, but this QB battle every year is not good IMO like the op has said for team chemistry. We need a huge upgrade in our receiving corps. Go the Juco route find some receivers who can catch a freaking ball and are fast.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
To many dropped balls this year by our receivers. West does an alright job and Bundrage has gotten better as the season has gone on, but we need that one guy like a Tavon Austin as the number one or someone on this team really needs to step it up.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Sam should be the number one QB heading into next season period unless Rohach steps up more than him in spring ball, but this QB battle every year is not good IMO like the op has said for team chemistry. We need a huge upgrade in our receiving corps. Go the Juco route find some receivers who can catch a freaking ball and are fast.

Couldn't agree more ... We need a big body receiver who is going to require more attention than one defender ... Anyone know where our recruitment of markeith ambles currently sits?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
If there's one positive to take away from this game, IMO, it's Richardson having a pretty good game against a legitimate team. There were some freshman mistakes out there and a few forced throws, but overall, I think he played well.

We've got ourselves a legitimate QB for years to come.
Agreed. Getting his first start on national TV alone would be enough to make most people **** their pants. He stared down a perennial power, made mostly good decisions with the ball and played liked a Big XII quarterback. Excited to have Sam for three more years.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
One crazy number. He played 9 quarters of football this year and ended up as our 4th leading rusher.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
He is the future of Cyclone football....no doubt. good game in a tough wind and receivers (Lenz!) dropping key balls.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Kid has all the tools, will be fun to watch and see if he fulfills his potential.

He can make all the throws. Hits the receivers in stride with some regularity (we haven't seen that for awhile). Quick enough to buy time and run the ball when necessary. And appears do a good job of reading the defense, his improvement or lack there of on this, I think will determine his level of success.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Couldn't agree more ... We need a big body receiver who is going to require more attention than one defender ... Anyone know where our recruitment of markeith ambles currently sits?

I was hoping JaQuarius Daniels would help there, but I guess we don't know if he is still with the team or not. But although Richardson can put some heat on the throws when he has to, it seems most of his passes are soft spirals and easy for recievers to catch, which should make better receivers out of average receivers. And as has been pointed out, yesterday was a bad day to throw and Sam still did a good job, and it was probably the first time he's played in a game in weather anywhere near that cold and windy. And as he gets more comfortable as a starter with his receivers and running backs, no telling how good this kid can be.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
He was very good. Even though WVU is poor against the pass, that wind was brutal. What a player. He looks like QB back there, not just a good athlete with a good arm.

I was in the stands and was surprised to discover after the game that Sam hit on fewer than 50 percent of his passes (Geno was 22-31-0=236 yards, 2 tds; 71% completion and 7.6 ypa). Geno is a senior, Sam a rFr making his first-ever start. And, often, the failure of our rushing game on first down put Sam in a number of obvious passing downs.

You know, who woulda guessed that Sam would outrush Tavon Austin?
Sam 18-119 = 6.61 ypc
Austin 14-74 = 5.28 ypc

Watching Sam from the stands yesterday, I think what I most liked about his game is his field leadership. Seemed unflappable, seemed to have a high football IQ the way he appeared to be in control.

But, what a nice arm he does have. Just think of the growth he can make between now and next fall, with the bowl practices, bowl game, and spring ball all coming up. We can only hope, too, that he'll have strong competition for the job from Grant Rohach. That'll be key to his development, too.